Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How To: Deal with a DQ

Video of a presentation that explains how to deal with a disqualification (DQ) before, during and after a match in IPSC or USPSA. More interesting Practical Shooting content, projects and polls on the "Community Tab" on my Channel! Let me know in the Comments below if you were already DQ'ed, why, how it felt and how you dealt with it! DVC

I've had one DQ in over 40 years of competition.  I broke the 180 and it really taught me to be in control at all times.  I've seen a lot of people that handle it well and some that should run off into a dark corner and hide after their experience,  One was an extremely good shooter that dropped their gun while re-holstering.  You'd have thought it was the end of the world.

Most people take it as a learning experience.  Many stay around and continue to either take the clock, board or at least tape when needed.   

I almost got my second DQ when I shot before my sights were on target,  my finger was in the trigger guard way too fast and I AD'd about 10 yards down range.  RO said I was just outside the distance so he let me continue shooting.  Again, a brain fart that taught me a lesson.

Twice. Once. The first time I was ironically the SO for the squad. Fumbled the pistol on the draw. No biggie. Took a few shooters off to get my head back in the game and SO'd the rest of the match.  When SOing/ROing I will often announce to the squad I've only had to DQ 3 people and one was myself, so lets not ruin my streak. 😀

Second nearly 2/3 done with local match. Popped a round before sights on target, completely my fault. The only issue was that the RO and other RO's getting into a discussion about whether it was enough to be a DQ while I stood there with Deer Eyes. Again no biggie. Helped tape for the rest of the match.

Last DQ I got (in the PRS) I asked the MD if he needed any extra ROs, when he said no, I went to the beach for the rest of the day.  Sadly, it was a self DQ.  I don't think the Stage ROs ever figured things out til after I explained what I had done to them.

I've been DQ'd three times in the last three years.

First time in 2019, I made a dumb mistake when I turned to my right (up range) when I meant to go left.

In 2020 also for 180.  Supposedly I broke it entering an up range position.  I say supposedly because I was told by several onlooker that I did not.

Earlier this year I tripped on a fault line and chose to let my gun go rather than face planting on gravel while holding on to it.

In every occasion (including the one in which I disagreed with the call) I said nothing.  Just followed the RO's direction and then went to the safe area to disarm.  I stayed around to help the squad the first and third time. 

2 hours ago, SGT_Schultz said:

I've been DQ'd three times in the last three years.

First time in 2019, I made a dumb mistake when I turned to my right (up range) when I meant to go left.

In 2020 also for 180.  Supposedly I broke it entering an up range position.  I say supposedly because I was told by several onlooker that I did not.

Earlier this year I tripped on a fault line and chose to let my gun go rather than face planting on gravel while holding on to it.

In every occasion (including the one in which I disagreed with the call) I said nothing.  Just followed the RO's direction and then went to the safe area to disarm.  I stayed around to help the squad the first and third time. 

Thanks for sharing!