Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How To: Deal with a DQ

StefVanHauwe

Video of a presentation that explains how to deal with a disqualification (DQ) before, during and after a match in IPSC or USPSA. More interesting Practical Shooting content, projects and polls on the "Community Tab" on my Channel! Let me know in the Comments below if you were already DQ'ed, why, how it felt and how you dealt with it! DVC

I've had one DQ in over 40 years of competition.  I broke the 180 and it really taught me to be in control at all times.  I've seen a lot of people that handle it well and some that should run off into a dark corner and hide after their experience,  One was an extremely good shooter that dropped their gun while re-holstering.  You'd have thought it was the end of the world.

Most people take it as a learning experience.  Many stay around and continue to either take the clock, board or at least tape when needed.   

I almost got my second DQ when I shot before my sights were on target,  my finger was in the trigger guard way too fast and I AD'd about 10 yards down range.  RO said I was just outside the distance so he let me continue shooting.  Again, a brain fart that taught me a lesson.

Twice. Once. The first time I was ironically the SO for the squad. Fumbled the pistol on the draw. No biggie. Took a few shooters off to get my head back in the game and SO'd the rest of the match.  When SOing/ROing I will often announce to the squad I've only had to DQ 3 people and one was myself, so lets not ruin my streak. 😀

Second nearly 2/3 done with local match. Popped a round before sights on target, completely my fault. The only issue was that the RO and other RO's getting into a discussion about whether it was enough to be a DQ while I stood there with Deer Eyes. Again no biggie. Helped tape for the rest of the match.

Last DQ I got (in the PRS) I asked the MD if he needed any extra ROs, when he said no, I went to the beach for the rest of the day.  Sadly, it was a self DQ.  I don't think the Stage ROs ever figured things out til after I explained what I had done to them.

I've been DQ'd three times in the last three years.

First time in 2019, I made a dumb mistake when I turned to my right (up range) when I meant to go left.

In 2020 also for 180.  Supposedly I broke it entering an up range position.  I say supposedly because I was told by several onlooker that I did not.

Earlier this year I tripped on a fault line and chose to let my gun go rather than face planting on gravel while holding on to it.

In every occasion (including the one in which I disagreed with the call) I said nothing.  Just followed the RO's direction and then went to the safe area to disarm.  I stayed around to help the squad the first and third time. 

2 hours ago, SGT_Schultz said:

I've been DQ'd three times in the last three years.

First time in 2019, I made a dumb mistake when I turned to my right (up range) when I meant to go left.

In 2020 also for 180.  Supposedly I broke it entering an up range position.  I say supposedly because I was told by several onlooker that I did not.

Earlier this year I tripped on a fault line and chose to let my gun go rather than face planting on gravel while holding on to it.

In every occasion (including the one in which I disagreed with the call) I said nothing.  Just followed the RO's direction and then went to the safe area to disarm.  I stayed around to help the squad the first and third time. 

Thanks for sharing!

• 4 months later...

Never been DQ'd in 25 years of USPSA.

But, a big but, I've DQ'd myself in 3 outlaw matches. Each case was a lack of focus on my part.

The classy answer is above, stay with you squad and help out.

As a ex-CRO I don't want the person around my squad. If they, like me were not focused, I just don't want them on the range at all.

1 hour ago, Kwontanamo said:

Once during a Area 8 in 2017 and another at a local match. Had myself a Dairy Queen blizzard every time 😂

well legally I shoulda been DQ'd from Area 8 one year.
Range was my nearest club and I shot there once a month. Each berm had a bench under a shade tree. Safe area was center of range by the john .
Bench was a normal place to sit and have a hard surface to load mags for 11 months out of  the year... for the area match,, they made that a safe area,,, I was sitting loading mags and an RO saw me,,,pointed to new sign....  Yeh coulda DQ,,, 

Throw your s#!t down and tell the ro, rm, and md to f*#k off. That is the proper way to handle a DQ. Also must loudly and profanely proclaim your innocence of 180 breaking, while simultaneously wondering why the peanut gallery is flat on the ground....

If someone dq's on early in the match I wouldn't hold it against them if they went home and got some chores done. Some people can only shoot one match a month and if by going home and getting things done maybe they can make a different match next weekend. I've never dq'd in twelve years but have been told I was close a couple of times. But I'm not a speed burner to say the least.

17 hours ago, Sinister4 said:

Just stay with the squad and help out, no biggie. Only had one in a "formal practice"  straight up 180 unloading a revolver, oh well  

Depends. Little squad, needs help, I stick around. Big squad, doesn't need help, I wish them a fun match and pack up. 

the only way to deal with a dq is to get angry

yell and shake your fist and try to argue your way back into the match

demand to see the ROs current credentials 

call the CRO over

challenge it with the MD

and i would never stick arounf to help after a dq. 

I pack my stuff and go. 

if clubs want to be liberal about handing out a dq then they can

suffer the consequences if they are short staffed enough that they need someone to stick around and help

1 hour ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

call the CRO over

challenge it with the MD

I pack my stuff and go. 

suffer the consequences if they are short staffed enough that they need someone to stick around and help

I hope this is an attempt at humor

On 12/19/2021 at 7:19 AM, AverageJoeShooting said:

call the CRO over

challenge it with the MD

I pack my stuff and go. 

a person who does this will be on FB or instagram for sure lol

On 12/19/2021 at 4:19 AM, AverageJoeShooting said:

STAND IN FRONT OF THE NEAREST MIRROR

yell and shake your fist, CALL YOURSELF THE DUMBEST HICK IN the match

demand to see the RO TO APOLLOGIZE AND OFFER THE USE OF YOUR SPARE SET OF CLEAN UNDIES, IF NEEDED

call the CRO over TO MAKE THE SAME OFFER

challenge it with the MD TO NEVER MAKE THE SAME IDIOT MOVE

THEN STICK AROUND TO help after a dq. 

THEN I pack my stuff and go. 

Fixed it for you!

Nolan

DQed once so far in 4 years.. retreating along the 180 line moving along snow fence.. cold day. cold hands. my front sight may have gotten caught in fence as I reversed direction reloading to the next array and I dropped gun. probably just too much stuff going on with cold hands. Ive learned to be aware of the fence graboids.  ran the shot timer the rest of the day.

next closest time was moving foreward and R to L on a 45deg angle with a reload.. got a good warning from the RO. I learned from the close call to respect that type of scenario as a potential 180 DQ trap.