Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SHALLOW DENTING AFTER SEATING FEDERAL PRIMERS

The primer pusher on my RL 550C leaves a shallow dents on small pistol federal primers. Usually I will have one or two maximum light strikes while shooting, but today, I was getting so many light strikes that I quit the USPSA match. 

I usually clean the primer seating cup. After careful inspection, I noticed most primers were concave. 

Did anyone experience this before? How to fix it?

Another thing to consider is the shell plate. What has happened to you once happened to me and I caused it (learned after the fact)…..I had recently taken my machine down for a complete cleaning and when I put everything back together I neglected to tighten down my shell plate as tight as I should have…As a result my shell pate was “flexing” enough to cause me the same problem that you are describing…..I went back and tightened my shell plate bolt about another 1/4 turn and it fixed my issue. During that tear down and cleaning I also changed out the indexing ball and spring and because the spring was longer it created more upward push on the plate making me think it was tight enough when actually it was not.  Many folks actually snip one or two runs off of their indexing spring so it still functions but allows the indexing ball to sit a little lower under the shell plate….

This may not be the cause of your problem but I thought it worth mentioning because what you are describing -  happened to me….Good Luck…Mark

Edited by Sigarmsp226

1 hour ago, Samattia said:

I believe, this recession in the middle of the primer, damaged its core material. 

I've crushed them much worse than that and they all went bang. Check your firing pin and make sure there are no burrs on it or the hole in the breech face, slowing down the pin, and check for wear on the firing pin (measure it and compare to a new one).

1 minute ago, GrumpyOne said:

I've crushed them much worse than that and they all went bang. Check your firing pin and make sure there are no burrs on it or the hole in the breech face, slowing down the pin, and check for wear on the firing pin (measure it and compare to a new one).

It is a brand new Shadow 2 that just came from Cajun Gun Works. 

Just because you have a new gun does not eliminate it as the problem. Try some other ammo. preferably not reloads.

now the question I always ask (your primers are fine)

wait for it

Do you wet clean your brass? 

17 minutes ago, AHI said:

Just because you have a new gun does not eliminate it as the problem. Try some other ammo. preferably not reloads.

now the question I always ask (your primers are fine)

wait for it

Do you wet clean your brass? 

Yes I wet clean my brass. I do dry it well though. 

14 hours ago, Samattia said:

Did anyone experience this before? How to fix it?

Samattia

Contacted Dillon, the shape and dent of the punch impression is not normal. Normally debris between the primer and punch will leave distinct marks, while your picture seems to indicate the punch is actual soft or deformed. The anvil inside the primer has to be able to smash (best word I could think of) correctly to set off the compound. It looks like the punch is forming the primer surface around the anvil point.

1 minute ago, HesedTech said:

Samattia

Contacted Dillon, the shape and dent of the punch impression is not normal. Normally debris between the primer and punch will leave distinct marks, while your picture seems to indicate the punch is actual soft or deformed. The anvil inside the primer has to be able to smash (best word I could think of) correctly to set off the compound. It looks like the punch is forming the primer surface around the anvil point.

I will call them tomorrow. I agree. The face of the primer looks deformed. Something is off with the primer operation. Thx. 

I believe issue you're having is due to crimped primer pockets on the S&B brass.  

Do you have this issue with other 9mm brass?   S&B brass is known for having tight primer pockets.   It would be a good idea to run them through a swager.

Edited by 67isb

17 hours ago, 67isb said:

I believe issue you're having is due to crimped primer pockets on the S&B brass.  

I've loaded a huge amount of 9mm including S&B and those dents are not from crimped brass and probably not because of a "tighter" primer pocket.

The dent looks like there's something not right with the punch. When a primer hangs up and is difficult to press in or is pressed in too far the punch make a flat impression on the primer.

Here's a good picture from another thread:

8253489850_64e37ec034_b.jpg

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/172010-can-you-seat-primers-too-deep-without-even-trying/

Edited by HesedTech

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/1/2021 at 11:05 AM, Samattia said:

I will call them tomorrow. I agree. The face of the primer looks deformed. Something is off with the primer operation. Thx. 

Got a update yet?