Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for a compact tool kit for my range bag

hiker88

Single sided tackle box. It’s not complete though as some larger items don’t fit and end up in the magazine pouches of the larger range bag. 

Tool kits will vary based on their purpose. Outdoor practice, indoor practice, match, RO, match setup all are different and are paired down to avoid dragging too much junk around. 

I doubt you will find a kit that is specific to your gun.

Might be better off to figure out all the tools you need to completely assemble/disassemble your gun/holster/magazines/mag-holders and then find a small box that will hold it all. 

My tool kit is a 2nd gun.

I always try to have a matching back up gun to the one I am shooting.

It also becomes my carry to events.

Nothing worse than 3 hours of driving and then trying to fix a gun under the clock.

I  try and travel lean. One small generic kit of tools like a screw driver set, hammer, punch etc.

Then a small back up bag each dedicated to Limited, single stack and PCCs.

Went to Harbor Freight and bought their hex  key set. I’m replacing a bag of mixed hex keys I collected over the years. I’m adding these to a Workforce compact 26 piece tool set. Everything fits in a small pocket of my range bag. 🤓

I bought small folding hex key sets at Home Depot in SAE, Metric and Torx formats since my various guns use all three types of socket screws.   Those sets plus a 1/4" hex bit screwdriver handle and a selection of flat screwdriver bits from very narrow and thin (adjustable sight screws) up to rather big and fat (stock bolts) cover almost anything I'm likely to need in the field. 

44 minutes ago, GringoBandito said:

I've had this kit in my nag for a few years and have used it several times to get out of a jam. Works great. 

https://www.wheelertools.com/gunsmithing-tools/wrenches-and-screwdrivers/space-saver-screwdriver-set/664507.html#start=1

I might just order one of those. Thanks for posting.

I have a small tool kit that has every torx and screwdriver I need.  I got it from Walmart and it has been great.  The only issue is that you can only get them around Christmas.

I assembled my own tools to handle Shadow 2 and 2011's. I agree that the first line of defense is a legal backup gun but that isn't always practical. Trying to fix even a simple thing like a CZ trigger return spring is difficult under time constraints at a match.

I found out a couple of things. One the quality (fit) of Allen (hex) wrenches varies a lot. Cheap ones have burr frequently on the ends. At least buff them for a good fit and avoid stripping a small screw. A better one with a ball head on one end is best.. Buy what appears to be the most expensive small set off Amazon. In my experience its worth the increased price. I much prefer the individual wrenches because of the ball and because the foldable ones Ive seen and owned are great for large screws but suck for fit into small screws.

A good set of small punches is your best friend. 

I too like the Fixit Stick for its small size and usefulness. I see no reason to get the ratchet one (although I admit that's what I currently have.

A small hammer with non-marring heads (plastic and brass) is nice to have. Those with screw in replaceable heads suck. If you need a steel hammer get one. A squib rod is nice for the other competitors even if you never need one. It'll make you friends (and lose you squib rods).

Last get a good needle nose plier. A cheap one is awful..

My advice is buy good tools and keep up with them. Cheap tools are worse than no tools at all.

Edited by Brooke

Used to carry a bunch of tools, until I realized I never used them.

Now it's a Glock punch, small channel locks, squib rod, and SOG multi tool with bit kit for anything needing more than a punch.

I don't bother with a hammer, a full magazine works fine enough for anything gun related needing hammer assistance. 

Covers any repairs I'm going to do at the range, and doesn't weigh me down. 

Think about it, a Glock punch covers probably 90% of what you're going to fix at the range, more in plastic guns. Bit kit handles grip panels on metal guns, and adjustable sight screws, holster screws, etc.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/2/2021 at 9:30 PM, GringoBandito said:

I've had this kit in my nag for a few years and have used it several times to get out of a jam. Works great. 

https://www.wheelertools.com/gunsmithing-tools/wrenches-and-screwdrivers/space-saver-screwdriver-set/664507.html#start=1

This is what I carry along with a bushing wrench and a fiber optic repair kit I made up.

I think this is pretty much what I bought many years ago, except that a tackle box was supplied instead of a cloth pouch, well chosen bunch of tools that has been added to over the years (starter punches - spare fiber optic rods - cigarette lighter - etc). https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/general-gunsmith-tools/gunsmithing-tool-kits/basic-field-tool-kit-prod30922.aspx