Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

OAL for PCC loads

There is so many dependent factors

What gun/barrel are you using?

what magazine does it take?

probably other stuff that I cant think of right now...

That said, I load my pcc 9mm ammo to 4.5gr of sport pistol under a 115rn @ 1.125" to launch out of my Sig MPX Competition.  I came up with that length based off pretty much nothing.  It's proven to run reliable in my blaster and I didn't put anymore thought into it after that

Edited by Bdh821

Some mag extensions require OAL to be shorter than a specific length for proper operation of the magazine.  There are some TTI mag extensions that require the OAL to be less than 1.125 to properly function.  They also do not make this information widely known unfortunately.  I tend to load 1.120 for this reason.  Feed ramps on PCCs are generally non existent so OAL and the profile of the bullet used may play a factor in properly feeding ammo.  For instance Montana Gold JHP will feed fine for the most part in my JP GMR15.  But the slight difference profile of the Delta Precision JHP will not reliably feed using a similar OAL.  I have but stopped using JHP in my PCC and have gone exclusively to FMJ RN for reliable feeding of my PCC.  I have yet to have a failure to feed with that ammo.  I would stay away from any bullet that had a flat profile at the tip of the bullet due to the type of feed ramp on most PCCs.  Just my personal experience and observations.  YMMV.

Edited by Boomstick303
18 hours ago, Bdh821 said:

There is so many dependent factors

What gun/barrel are you using?

what magazine does it take?

probably other stuff that I cant think of right now...

That said, I load my pcc 9mm ammo to 4.5gr of sport pistol under a 115rn @ 1.125" to launch out of my Sig MPX Competition.  I came up with that length based off pretty much nothing.  It's proven to run reliable in my blaster and I didn't put anymore thought into it after that

Although I was looking for a generalized answer, I still should have listed my setup.      PSA AR9 16" complete (blem model) with Glock mags.   Currently starting the stage with my ETS40 and pulling Glock 33rd as needed from belt. So far it's been reliable with the factory stuff I've ran.  1.138-1.155 range OAL.    Fenix 115gr 1100fps FMJ reman range ammo. Even lower recoil Fenix NAS3 147gr FMJ and Precision Delta 147gr FMJ matchpack ammo. 

PSA AR9, 16" barrel, Taccom 3 stage buffer system(short stroke), PSA 3.5lb match trigger, Holosun 510c, and Ultradyne lithium 9mm comp.  ETS 40 and 31rd mags. Glock 33rd mags.  No extensions at this time.

Edited by punisher911

I prefer short.

1.10” with 115gr RN plated. 4.0gr Sport Pistol. 

138PF with an MBX barrel (13.5”). Running a Blitz 5020ss… so I like it a little hotter for reliability on the short stroked system. 

• 2 weeks later...

Are you guys loading ammo specifically for your PCC?  I contemplated that for a month or two last year, but gave up. We shoot 9mm almost exclusively in my family. There’s 3 of us, multiple guns and a couple of PCCs. Things ended up getting too complicated for me. Now I found an OAL that seems to be 100% reliable in everything and is under the max recommended by Taylor Freelance for his Goliath base pads and I load the same ammo for all our 9mm. I’m right around 1.08-1.10 for Jacketed Bullets and shorter for coated. The PF for the pistols is right around 130-132 and for PCC it jumps to about 144.  Not optimal, for the PCC, but life sure is simpler for me. 

19 minutes ago, Cuz said:

Are you guys loading ammo specifically for your PCC?  I contemplated that for a month or two last year, but gave up. We shoot 9mm almost exclusively in my family. There’s 3 of us, multiple guns and a couple of PCCs. Things ended up getting too complicated for me. Now I found an OAL that seems to be 100% reliable in everything and is under the max recommended by Taylor Freelance for his Goliath base pads and I load the same ammo for all our 9mm. I’m right around 1.08-1.10 for Jacketed Bullets and shorter for coated. The PF for the pistols is right around 130-132 and for PCC it jumps to about 144.  Not optimal, for the PCC, but life sure is simpler for me. 

So far, my pcc been reliable with 1.135-1.150 factory 147gr ammo I’ve tried. Most seem to load down to 1.10-1.125 though. So I thought I’d ask. My thought was to have a load for each. So I could tune the pcc pf down to 130 or so instead of the 140-145 most get running their pistol loads in them. 

2 hours ago, punisher911 said:

So I could tune the pcc pf down to 130 or so instead of the 140-145 most get running their pistol loads in them

You may want to revisit moving down to 130.  I have found my PCC runs better with PF of over 140.  I believe that has been stated by many PCC shooters on this board in other threads.  Also my dot seems to move less with a higher PF.  I cannot tell you why that is, but I have seen others state something similar.  I do run a GMR 15 so your result may vary with your PCC.  

As stated in other threads, worry about dot movement on the PCC and not felt recoil.  I guarantee you will not notice felt recoil once the buzzer goes off.

Edited by Boomstick303
3 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

You may want to revisit moving down to 130.  I have found my PCC runs better with PF of over 140.  I believe that has been stated by many PCC shooters on this board in other threads.  Also my dot seems to move less with a higher PF.  I cannot tell you why that is, but I have seen others state something similar.  I do run a GMR 15 so your result may vary with your PCC.  

As stated in other threads, worry about dot movement on the PCC and not felt recoil.  I guarantee you will not notice felt recoil once the buzzer goes off.

I could imagine the higher PF gets the comp to do a bit, I can see that.  Makes sense. Plus keeps the gas high enough for the blowback design. 

OAL of 1.115 for 124gr RN plated bu.let’s (Berry’s or Xtreme), 3.8 gr Titegroup & Winchester primers. 

I’m running them thru  a Taccom ULW barrel, with upper & lower feed ramps. 

Edited by mitommy