Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sup guys

Start position: 15y

Gun: shouldered / dot on the target

Throwing there fastest splits you can do

Your honest hand on the heart: what is the average group in inches there will be and the split times ? + Bullet weight/PF if known

2 minutes ago, zzt said:

147 JHP @ 145PF.  1" group as fast as I can pull the trigger.

I'm new to this PCC thing, but that sounds pretty legit to me. Any idea about what you're splits are pulling as fast as you can? 

I'm still figuring out my set up, and learning the right technique. Doing doubles I can only run like 16-18 splits, I'd guess like 6" group. I'm going to the range later I'll try it to see for sure. I'd like to see the splits get to 15 or better and that group maybe halved. I think that would be good, but I've been more focused on transitions and movement. I'm finding splits are easier than with my handgun, but the movement and transitions to be harder and that's a much bigger chunk of time to worry about then cutting .05 off a split. 

The Florida Sectional I shot last December allowed for PCC starting pointing at a target while shouldered...  15 yards, first shot around .50 with a .12 split and a 3-4"  group if you wanna call that a group.  

115gr @ 141ish PF ~ 1220fps

Don't overthink these minor details.  Shoot as fast as you can to get A's.  Transition/move as fast as possible.  Come up with the best stage plan you can execute without messing it up.  Don't over think it and just execute your plan.  The way to win a match is to have the least amount of f*#k ups 

Edited by Bdh821

A big part of the Max Leograndis class I took was doing this at 25 yards. Developing a grip and stance that let you get A hits no matter what, as fast as you could pull the trigger. He, at the time, was a big proponent of tuning the gun to run this way and then tuning your eyes, mind and stance to allow you to on open targets at 25 yards perform in such a way that you knew  you could shoot two A, just railing it. Because you were such a good shooting platform.

So bring it in to 15 and I am positive I can do 0.12 to 0.15 splits with my pcc and keep them in a fist sized group no matter what, all dang day.

2 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

I'm new to this PCC thing, but that sounds pretty legit to me. Any idea about what you're splits are pulling as fast as you can? 

I'm still figuring out my set up, and learning the right technique. Doing doubles I can only run like 16-18 splits, I'd guess like 6" group. I'm going to the range later I'll try it to see for sure. I'd like to see the splits get to 15 or better and that group maybe halved. I think that would be good, but I've been more focused on transitions and movement. I'm finding splits are easier than with my handgun, but the movement and transitions to be harder and that's a much bigger chunk of time to worry about then cutting .05 off a split. 

I have no idea on the actual split time, but when I empty a 10 round mag it sounds like a machine gun.

I took seemingly forever to come up with that combination of load, BCG/spring/buffer/SS adapter/etc.  I did it for falling steel matches where you have lots of stages with one or more racks of 6 6" square plates arranged behind one another.  Recoil is harsh in a 5 lb. PCC with a metal butt plate, but I can mow those targets down.  The dot just doesn't move.

For SCSA I use a lot lighter load and I do get dot movement.  However, it settles while I transition to the next target.

Correction.

Leadstar Arms Prime PCC with Wiland 9mm shrouded barrel Leadstar 16.1" barrel, BCG with weight, a Blitzkrieg Standard hydraulic buffer and short stroke adapter slug with a JP polished 308 spring.  The dot doesn't move with the 556 spring either, but I think I like the recoil impulse of the 308 better.  BTW, if I use anything other than that exact load I get dot movement with this setup.

I've subsequently gone to an A5 buffer tube with all the same stuff plus the shorter of MBX short stroke adapters.  I got a tip in this forum that the A5 softened the recoil.  It really does, but I have no idea why.  Everything just feels smoother.

Edited by zzt
1 hour ago, Boomstick303 said:

Interesting.  Thanks.

Correction:  that was shot through the 16.1" barrel, not the Wiland.  Ammo was Prvi Partisan 147 JHP @ 985 fps.  I'm sure it was faster than that in the 16.1" barrel.

2 hours ago, zzt said:

Correction.

Leadstar Arms Prime PCC with Wiland 9mm shrouded barrel Leadstar 16.1" barrel, BCG with weight, a Blitzkrieg Standard hydraulic buffer and short stroke adapter slug with a JP polished 308 spring.  The dot doesn't move with the 556 spring either, but I think I like the recoil impulse of the 308 better.  BTW, if I use anything other than that exact load I get dot movement with this setup.

I've subsequently gone to an A5 buffer tube with all the same stuff plus the shorter of MBX short stroke adapters.  I got a tip in this forum that the A5 softened the recoil.  It really does, but I have no idea why.  Everything just feels smoother.

2 questions:

your ammo is quite 'hot' for the standard buffer 5007... no problems then? (it survives it?)

the A5 buffer tube is a bit longer then the carbine buffer, do you use anything to 'fill it up', or only the 5007+the weight spacer???

THANKS!!

I have no problems with the standard buffer and that ammo.  As I mentioned earlier I added the shorter of the two MBX short stroke adapters to the previous setup.  So it's the 5007, weight/spacer, spring and the MBX adapter.  So it is actually short stroked in the A5 tube.  Without the adapter the slide locks back on empty.  It is soft, but slow.  Short stroking brings the speed back, and it is still a little softer than the carbine tube setup.

I only run that ammo in falling steel shoots.  Most of the time I shoot 109PF for SCSA and some 134PF for knock down steel outlaw matches.

11 hours ago, zzt said:

I have no problems with the standard buffer and that ammo.  As I mentioned earlier I added the shorter of the two MBX short stroke adapters to the previous setup.  So it's the 5007, weight/spacer, spring and the MBX adapter.  So it is actually short stroked in the A5 tube.  Without the adapter the slide locks back on empty.  It is soft, but slow.  Short stroking brings the speed back, and it is still a little softer than the carbine tube setup.

I only run that ammo in falling steel shoots.  Most of the time I shoot 109PF for SCSA and some 134PF for knock down steel outlaw matches.

tnx

Splits are important, but less critical than transitions. Trying to improve, i.e. decrease, your time on target and position transitions will improve your hit factor faster, better and more consistent, than trying to achieve faster splits.

1 hour ago, StefVanHauwe said:

Splits are important, but less critical than transitions. Trying to improve, i.e. decrease, your time on target and position transitions will improve your hit factor faster, better and more consistent, than trying to achieve faster splits.

yes, but it says a lot about your gun set-up compare underneath at 20 yards...

IMG_0231.thumb.jpg.0257b69d830a967d2a7e051ad6dc1411.jpgIMG_0230.thumb.jpg.93f04436fec1a7a4b695aea2f91c52d7.jpg

F, that looks like you are bouncing around a lot.  You may be holding the gun too loosely.  Grip and stance are quite important, doubly so if your load is not hot enough to drive the gun straight back.

7 hours ago, zzt said:

F, that looks like you are bouncing around a lot.  You may be holding the gun too loosely.  Grip and stance are quite important, doubly so if your load is not hot enough to drive the gun straight back.

both factory first 115 gn. with 150PF out of an MPX 2nd 124 gn at 148PF at 20 yards... target = 15cm square... actually I am pretty happy with 1st card! 20 shots and most within 2 inch...