Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon single stage adapter problem

Just received, assembled, and started using my new Dillon single stage adapter. When using the sizing, decapping die the spent primers stack up inside the shell holder adapter bolt. This setup is being used in a 550 series Dillon. After sizing, decapping about 10 - 15 rounds I have to clear the spent primers off the plate and out of the adapter bolt. Anyone else having same problem ? Cure ?  Thanks in advance...captn-tin

Not designed for decaping. use a standard tool head with a universal decaping die.

The SOLO™ Single Stage Press Conversion Kit converts your Dillon RL 550B, XL 650 or XL 750 press to a single stage press. This allows you to perform reloading operations that simply cannot be done using a Dillon progressive reloading press.

Examples:
 G-Rx Base Sizing Die for .40 S&W (Redding Reloading)
 Primer Pocket Swager Die (CH4D, RCBS)
 Collet Style Bullet Puller Dies (Forster, Hornady, Lee, RCBS)
 Ram Prime Dies (Lee, Lyman, RCBS)
 Bullet Pointing/Tipping Die (Whidden Gunworks, Hoover)
 Shoulder Bump Dies
 Case Forming Dies †

Edited by AHI

Well I just learned something - Never knew such a kit existed…No need for one because I have my original 37 year old RCBS Rock Chucker bolted to the reloading bench for any single stage work I have….but it is cool to know that such a kit is available….

27 minutes ago, Sigarmsp226 said:

Well I just learned something - Never knew such a kit existed…No need for one because I have my original 37 year old RCBS Rock Chucker bolted to the reloading bench for any single stage work I have….but it is cool to know that such a kit is available….

News to me too.   I'm still using my trusty RCBS Jr. press I bought waaaaaaaaayyyyyy back in '78.   

AHI..."The SOLO™ Single Stage Press Conversion Kit converts your Dillon RL 550B, XL 650 or XL 750 press to a single stage press. This allows you to perform reloading operations that simply cannot be done using a Dillon progressive reloading press."  Converts to single stage press. Says nothing about not being used for decapping,sizing.

50 minutes ago, h110 said:

The SOLO™ Single Stage Press Conversion Ki

I just looked up this kit and for the money why not just get a basic Lee single stage press and leave the 650/550 as is? The only real advantage to this kit seems to be the push through die set up. The rest of single stage operations, such as de-capping, primer seating, sizing and more, can be done using the normal function of the presses.

Yes I have a 550 and a separate Lee Challenger for this very reason. Cheap and works great.

5 hours ago, h110 said:

AHI..."The SOLO™ Single Stage Press Conversion Kit converts your Dillon RL 550B, XL 650 or XL 750 press to a single stage press. This allows you to perform reloading operations that simply cannot be done using a Dillon progressive reloading press."  Converts to single stage press. Says nothing about not being used for decapping,sizing.

Ok so answer this.

Can you size with a Dillon press?         

Can you decap with a Dillon press?

Just in case you missed it there's nowhere for the primers to go except pile up.

As you have found out.

AHI...You can reload  with a Dillon 550c with it's single stage conversion kit. Reloading includes sizing and decapping. On every other reloader, decapping also deposits  the spent primers in some form of container. Why shouldn't the SOLO unit do the same?

Read your own post . You answered your question. FYI I tested the prototype solo before it was released for sale.

About 10 /12 years ago.

It is to perform tasks that simply can not be preformed on a Dillon press. 

Edited by AHI

Open your eyes . Is there any were for a spent primer catcher? (No there is not.)

Can you size using the  solo? (yes you can )  Have Fun Enjoy    The Solo does Not

replace a single stage press. IT IS TO PREFORM TASKS THAT SEMPLEY CAN NOT

BE PREFORMED ON A PROGRESSIVE DILLON PRESS.

OK, before this gets further out of hand, I am going to close this thread. 

Homework: Mr. h110: call Uniquetek and ask them how come the primers are piling up under the shell holder (and any other design questions you may have). Let me know when you have the answer(s)and I will re-open the thread so you can share it(them) with the forum. 😉 

https://www.uniquetek.com/contact_uniquetek