Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited Pro shoots with safety engaged

I recently acquired a used limited pro da/sa gun and have noticed I can get the gun to fire with the safety on if I pull the trigger hard enough.  I also noticed it doesn't have a firing pin block safety.  Not sure if it has anything to do with it.  I want to convert to SAO but want to make sure safety works before doing so.

It fires with the safety on in SA? Or you have the safety on in DA and it fires? What safety are you running? The stock limpro wide safety or the unica flat safety?

Firing pin block has nothing to do with the issue, the manual safety mechanically blocks the sear from moving.

7 hours ago, haiedras said:

It fires with the safety on in SA? Or you have the safety on in DA and it fires? What safety are you running? The stock limpro wide safety or the unica flat safety?

Firing pin block has nothing to do with the issue, the manual safety mechanically blocks the sear from moving.

On SA it will fire.  I have to pull on it a little harder than when it's off the safety.  Wide stock safety.  Is this a sear issue? like I mentioned it was bought used so don't really know what was done to it

11 hours ago, sandflea316 said:

On SA it will fire.  I have to pull on it a little harder than when it's off the safety.  Wide stock safety.  Is this a sear issue? like I mentioned it was bought used so don't really know what was done to it

It sounds like a sear and safety issue, the previous owner likely replaced one or the other without properly fitting them, without looking at the parts it would be hard to tell what is out of whack. There are some other possible issues but this is the most likely if your comfortable working on them yourself I would by both new parts and start from there, being as you want to make it SA I would likely just order the EGW hammer and Sear from Henning and a new safety and call it good.

Don't mind doing the work, just need to know how to work over the sear.  I want ahead and ordered the egw prepped sear from Henning.  Gonna try it with the current hammer.  Removed the interrupter and put in a limited SA trigger I had laying around.  It won't drop the hammer on the trigger pull.  Any ideas?

13 hours ago, sandflea316 said:

Don't mind doing the work, just need to know how to work over the sear.  I want ahead and ordered the egw prepped sear from Henning.  Gonna try it with the current hammer.  Removed the interrupter and put in a limited SA trigger I had laying around.  It won't drop the hammer on the trigger pull.  Any ideas?

not enough trigger movement, possibly the over travel screw is too far out?

21 hours ago, sandflea316 said:

Don't mind doing the work, just need to know how to work over the sear. 

If a TF will fire with safety up/on then, as bulm540 has pointed out, a previous own modified the gun (probably replace two piece sear with one piece and or a Titan hammer) and tried to make the safety work. And yet took too much off. Gun still works, but will fail a safety check.

Previous owner took material off the sear tab which rides under the safety, the reverse (take off material from safety, or possibly both. 

Fix:

If the safety has been modified, get a new one and carefully remove only a little at a time until the safety functions correctly. 

If the sear was modified get a new one and modify the safety only.

If both are modified, get replacement for both and only change the safety.

Why only the safety? No reason, it just seems like a better thing to do than mess with the sear.

Best instructions on how to work on TF:

Install the EGW prepped sear from Henning along with a limited custom trigger.  Read all the faqs and went slowly.  Safety works as it should.  

Trigger is sub 2.5 lbs with a really short reset.  Super happy with conversion