Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading 9 major with titegroup.

Reloader98

Hello all, 

wanted to get some opinions on using titegroup powder for reloading 9mm major. Unfortunately due to the ammo/powder shortage. I really can’t buy many other powders, not for a feasible price anyways. 

bullets: MG 124gr JHP 

case: mixed brass, mostly starline

primer: CCI small pistol

powder: titegroup

gun: JL. Hardy shorty 4.24” KKM barrel

large two port comp and two ports in the barrel itself (phot attached) 

just wondering if anyone has any experience loading with a gun like this as it’s my first open gun. 

I’ve heard titegroup is not the best powder for 9 major as it’s pretty fast, have any suggestions for making major PF with this powder? is it possible while being somewhat  safe? 

thanks a bunch 

3C2F17F4-7AD3-4350-A2F5-2CAE6B7F5746.jpeg

It's a no go on multiple levels unsafe too fast too high of pressure, 9 major is already a high pressure round with slow powder def not a go with titegroup. The fastest slow powders are cfe pistol or autcomp. Even those have varying people's opinion on 9 major and the guns getting beat

Yeah no, that is not going to happen with that powder. Using quickloads (more just for kicks and giggles to see HOW unsafe it would be) at major velocity you'll be between 2 and 3x saami maximin pressure for 9mm +p, and that's not counting for the velocity loss from the holes, you'll likely end up near 100k psi. Titegroup is FAR FAR too fast. If you want to make major with 9, you need a SLOW powder to not end up with a gun in pieces

You will absolutely blow your gun up and probably find your hand in the next bay at the range.

Titegroup is a powder that very quickly ramps up pressure past minor power factor loads. So even going a little over minor can be unsafe.

Hope your trolling.

25 minutes ago, Reloader98 said:

Hello all, 

wanted to get some opinions on using titegroup powder for reloading 9mm major. Unfortunately due to the ammo/powder shortage. I really can’t buy many other powders, not for a feasible price anyways. 

just wondering if anyone has any experience loading with a gun like this as it’s my first open gun. 

I’ve heard titegroup is not the best powder for 9 major as it’s pretty fast, have any suggestions for making major PF with this powder? is it possible while being somewhat  safe? 

thanks a bunch 

Well from what you guys have told me, it’s group is an absolute no go for sure, what powders would be good? That y’all have seen available recently? 

26 minutes ago, Reloader98 said:

Hello all, 

thanks a bunch 

Well from what you guys have told me, it’s group is an absolute no go for sure, what powders would be good? That y’all have seen available recently? 

25 minutes ago, Reloader98 said:

Hello all, 

thanks a bunch 

I use WAC, but have tried AA7, HS6, 3N38.  In my pistol, all but the WAC have a strange, figure 8 style dot movement.  May try them some more, but for now WAC is a consistent 171-172 PF.  

Titegroup is WAY too fast for 9 Major

Thank you gentleman, as this is my first open gun, I kinda figured titegroup was a little fast, I have discovered that WAC is IN STOCK at powder valley for about $26 per 1# of powder. Think I’ll have to buy a couple pounds, I’ll link it in this reply in case any of you are looking for that powder. 

I also read some articles and reloading 9 major, seems like autocomp is the way to go without getting a powder from VV that cost me an arm and a leg. 

thanks to everyone that replied. 
link to powder valley: https://www.powdervalleyinc.com/product/winchester-autocomp/?__cf_chl_jschl_tk__=pmd_6b031324af95812d6c4bf85de5aa56db787e523f-1627340463-0-gqNtZGzNAfijcnBszQd6 

2 minutes ago, superdude said:

You might find this link useful:

https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2018/1/9/how-to-use-9-major-in-a-short-barrel/

Some commonly used powders for 9 Major are in the tables.

Thanks superdude, oddly enough, I just read that same article like 10 minutes ago, what a coinkydink 

You may find you cannot fit enough 3N38 in the case to make major.  I did.  IMO, AA7/SWMP is the way to go.  HS-6 makes the dot go wobbly.   CFE, WAC and Silhouette work and are safe, but they won't make enough gas to work poppels and a comp.  Major loads using those powders hit the had way harder than AA7.

3 hours ago, zzt said:

You may find you cannot fit enough 3N38 in the case to make major.  I did.  IMO, AA7/SWMP is the way to go.  HS-6 makes the dot go wobbly.   CFE, WAC and Silhouette work and are safe, but they won't make enough gas to work poppels and a comp.  Major loads using those powders hit the had way harder than AA7.

I appreciate the experience and suggestion, but the shortage right now is the only reason why I’m going with autocomp, otherwise I’d be buying VV powders but now their to expensive. Not to mention the egregious prices I’ve been spending on primers, ($75) at my local Cabelas, on the Tara occasions we get them and hide em before customers take em, I.e. I work their. Lol

8 minutes ago, Reloader98 said:

I appreciate the experience and suggestion, but the shortage right now is the only reason why I’m going with autocomp, otherwise I’d be buying VV powders but now their to expensive. Not to mention the egregious prices I’ve been spending on primers, ($75) at my local Cabelas, on the Tara occasions we get them and hide em before customers take em, I.e. I work their. Lol

To bad you are so far away or I'd sell you some 3N38.  On two occasions I bought 12 lbs. at the height of the last shortage because I knew I'd be building an Open gun and it was so hard to get.  After I built the gun and started loading for it I discovered If I dropped enough to make major a lot spilled onto the shell plate when it turned.  The IF I could get the bullet seated to the OAL I wanted, it would 'grow' as the powder uncompressed.  So now I use it up for minor Open loads for Steel Challenge.

124s with WAC are just fine, just snappy.

1 hour ago, zzt said:

To bad you are so far away or I'd sell you some 3N38.  On two occasions I bought 12 lbs. at the height of the last shortage because I knew I'd be building an Open gun and it was so hard to get.  After I built the gun and started loading for it I discovered If I dropped enough to make major a lot spilled onto the shell plate when it turned.  The IF I could get the bullet seated to the OAL I wanted, it would 'grow' as the powder uncompressed.  So now I use it up for minor Open loads for Steel Challenge.

124s with WAC are just fine, just snappy.

That’s what I’ve heard, seems like VV powders like 3n38 and others tend to fill the case more and thusly work the comp more. Downside is VV powder $$$. With a Dillon 650, that stuff will go everywhere, that’s why I bought some autocomp, hopefully it’s not to snappy with the two popple holes and a comp. 

looking at a burn rate chart for Hodgdon, seems like win 231 is a good option as well, but just like AA#7, it’s about as common as woman over 30 without kids or a divorce. 

37 minutes ago, Reloader98 said:

seems like win 231 is a good option as wel

The Hodgdon burn rate chart is a joke.  231 is WAAAY to fast for major.  Shooters World Major Pistol powder is the same formulation as AA7 but made overseas.  It may be easier to find.

BTW, AA7 works the comp much more than 3N38, because it is slower and you use more powder.

15 minutes ago, zzt said:

The Hodgdon burn rate chart is a joke.  231 is WAAAY to fast for major.  Shooters World Major Pistol powder is the same formulation as AA7 but made overseas.  It may be easier to find.

BTW, AA7 works the comp much more than 3N38, because it is slower and you use more powder.

Have any suggestions on good burn rate chart? 

19 minutes ago, Reloader98 said:

Have any suggestions on good burn rate chart? 

VV's chart is more accurate than everything else I've seen, but they are still off on some powders.  For instance, there is no way Promo is slower than American Select.

Take WAC as your starting point.  Pick a 124gr load and use it as the baseline.  Say that load is 124gr with Xgr WAC at Y velocity and ZZZ OAL.    If the manual for another powder shows more powder than X for the same bullet, velocity and OAL, that powder is slower and safe to use.  If less than X- no go.