Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA - Moving Plate visibility rule?

Bagellord

So this came up over the weekend. My club has a swinger with two plates on it, from Red Stitch Targets. I was trying to use hard cover plates to hide the plates when set, but not be disappearing. I went into the rulebook to see how much of the plate has to be visible for it to not be disappearing. I could not find anything. The closest thing was for poppers (50% for peppers, 100% for minis). The plates I was using are 8 inch plates, so my thought process was it needed to be 100%.

Anyone have any idea?

Edited by Bagellord

I don't know the answer but saw the plate swingers on their website. They also have a practice swinger with the plate being part of the arm and doesn't fall off. Looks interesting. How do you like the target?

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/27/2021 at 9:26 PM, Bagellord said:

I got this response from NROI, regarding the visibility. The plates have to be fully visible from some point of in the CoF, which is what I thought.

image.png.17e5d4eedd7a1114509b8ba86b1bcb64.png

I'm glad you got a answer, I am just a little disappointed in the answer, a plate that fails to fall from any hit weather it turns or not is a REF so there is nothing there to imply 100% visibility. If we take that answer as gospel now 90% of the plate racks I have seen are now illegal because a small portion of the bottom of the plates are hidden by the splash guard. 

47 minutes ago, MikeBurgess said:

I'm glad you got a answer, I am just a little disappointed in the answer, a plate that fails to fall from any hit weather it turns or not is a REF so there is nothing there to imply 100% visibility. If we take that answer as gospel now 90% of the plate racks I have seen are now illegal because a small portion of the bottom of the plates are hidden by the splash guard. 

Especially if you are shorter in stature. Same with clamshells and max traps where the no-shoot is not directly against the scoring target. Shorter folks get less headbox so if the no-shoot is set a little high, a shorter person does not see a legally presented target.

1 hour ago, broadside72 said:

Especially if you are shorter in stature. Same with clamshells and max traps where the no-shoot is not directly against the scoring target. Shorter folks get less headbox so if the no-shoot is set a little high, a shorter person does not see a legally presented target.

That's why I always leave a little more than necessary visible when I set them.