Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TSO 9 vs 40 Slide Differences/Slide Impacting Barrel?

Midwest3Gunner

Backstory: Bought a TSO that was native 9mm and it came with a 40 S&W slide. Mainly shoot USPSA now, so the 40 slide has been on the frame for a majority of the time. Replaced recoil spring with a 14lb from CZC and removed buffer as it was getting shredded anyway, thinking no big deal. Been shooting mostly factory Speer ball which, granted, is a little hot but that's all I have and am not set up to reload 40 yet.

Questions: I was disassembling it to clean it when I noticed that it looks like the slide has been impacting the barrel? I started to compare the 40 slide to the 9 and noticed that the 40 slide isn't machined as far forward as the 9 slide is? I was thinking about having Fire4Effect do their Limited cuts on this slide, should I have them just mill those nubs off to match the 9mm slide? What is the CZ equivalent of the VIS on a 1911/2011? Recoil spring is not going to coil bind before the slide impacts the barrel. Also, the 9 slide has a reverse plug and a recoil master type spring setup, whereas the 40 slide has a typical guide rod and spring. I guess my big question is why are they different, and what can I do beside throwing in an overpowered spring while I'm shooting factory ammo to prevent this peening? I already stoned the burrs on the barrel smooth, but I'm a little wary to shoot it, don't really want to crack anything.

If anyone wants/need any different pictures, just let me know.

Thanks!

9_and_40_barrel.jpg

angled_slides.jpg

peened_40_barrel.jpg

recoil_spring_tunnel.jpg

rotated_recoil_assem_1p386.jpg

slides_with_bumps_ca_ThdIf.jpg

undersides_of_slides.jpg

Agree with your assessment.  You need to contact CZ Custom, Cajun Gun Works, or a gun smith familiar knowledgable about CZs.  Unless, of course you are good to do the work yourself.  Even if so, would discuss with the experts first.  IMO and YMMV

2 hours ago, Superkaratemonkeyfighter said:

Pretty sure there just a larger shadow 2 so I would say no. 

They made the slide cuts look more like a Shadow 2, but its still a Tactical Sport and SAO. Czechmates have a reverse plug though.

10 minutes ago, eerw said:

Here is 

TS2, TSO9mm, TSO40sw

A670B0ED-3395-490A-95F9-237FFF63E48E.jpeg.f4c07eebdab57b4d8a8cfc5b5bdda814.jpeg

Thanks for the picture. I tried blowing it up, but I couldn't quite make out if the 40 slide had the weird little nubs like my slide in the pictures above. Thoughts on the questions in the OP? Thanks again for your time.

On 7/27/2021 at 3:24 PM, Midwest3Gunner said:

Thanks for the picture. I tried blowing it up, but I couldn't quite make out if the 40 slide had the weird little nubs like my slide in the pictures above. Thoughts on the questions in the OP? Thanks again for your time.

neither slide showed that metal on the slide.

contacting CZ or cleaning up impact marks on barrel and possibly relieving slide area.

On 7/27/2021 at 4:22 PM, lfine said:

Stu, is the S2 a whole newly designed slide just for it? Or another modified to fit. It certainly has more detail in its edges. Weigh less than the TSO, too?

TS2 is new slide style for CZ. mimics Shadow 2 look.

• 1 year later...

I’m glad I found this thread. I have a similar issue, I think mine is amplified by cutting the dust cover to increase the slide travel. 

I will get those spots machined down and smooth the dimples made in the barrel hood.