Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trigger replacement from DA to SA

Is this a do at home? what would I need and any other help, insights, etc. welcome. I have 3 Tanfoglios and 2 are SA 10mm and 1 9mm DA. I am primarily a 1911 shooter and feel uncomfortable with 1 of 3 having a different feel.  I have always been a cocked and locked carry. My past experience is 6 years US Army and the Deputy Sheriff (although at that time the S&W 19 ruled the roost).

On the same subject as the DA/SA 1 of the Tanfoglios is the Hunter in 10mm and it's use will be as a chest rigged hunting backup, with this in mind, would I be better swapping frames and making the Hunter DA, just food for thought and conversation. I will also have to check with the holster maker about the full dust cover vs the full dust cover with picatiny rail.

I'm in the exact same boat.  2 SA Tanfos and 1 DA/SA

From what I read to convert from da/sa to sao, you'll need a SA hammer and trigger.  Not sure on the sear.  Prolly have to change hammer spring as well

Have you ever disassembled your tanfo frame?  I've replaced the triggers on mine and changed out hammer springs so I'm confident I can do a SAO conversion.  Doesn't look too complicated 

Reply from Henning group

Hey Bill,

All you really need to do is get our Flat Trigger

https://www.henningshop.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=1284156&CAT=9204

Choose between short, medium or long reach.

And then you can remove the “interruptor” piece which hangs off the factory hammer. This part is used to activate the hammer in DA mode. You don’t need that part any more.

The more you polish all the factory parts the nicer the trigger pull will feel.

Henning Wallgren

I had Patriot Defense do one Tanfoglio and two CZ guns. They looked them over for issues while performing the work. With a Tanfoglio having PD check it out is a good thing. No concern for the Shadow and PCR, they have great quality control.

I supplied the parts and labor was around 250.00 for all three if memory is intact. I could have done it. But felt better knowing a person was not doing their first trigger swap. 

I just do not like the shape of DA triggers. One of the CZ triggers was painful after 50 rounds or so. Very far forward and tightly curved. 

Both my Beretta 92fs Vertec and M84 have a nice DA/SA trigger. The Beretta DA trigger in particular is just the right amount of pull and legnth.

However the best I've had was on the HK USP Elite. The HK Match trigger is light, has a fairly short pull, a very short reset, has an adjustable trigger stop, and is smooth (like butter on glass), and has the cleanest break I've experienced this side of a SAO custom trigger. HK only puts this trigger on a couple models, and that's a shame. It's very good.

Smith & Wesson in general makes a good SA/DA too.

Start here to learn how to work on a double action Tanfo. Then swap parts when the time comes to put it back together.

Search youtube for “Tanfoglio Tuning” and you’ll find all 4 videos in this series.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

16 hours ago, ggrosspoint said:

Both my Beretta 92fs Vertec and M84 have a nice DA/SA trigger. The Beretta DA trigger in particular is just the right amount of pull and legnth.

However the best I've had was on the HK USP Elite. The HK Match trigger is light, has a fairly short pull, a very short reset, has an adjustable trigger stop, and is smooth (like butter on glass), and has the cleanest break I've experienced this side of a SAO custom trigger. HK only puts this trigger on a couple models, and that's a shame. It's very good.

Smith & Wesson in general makes a good SA/DA too.

I haven't any issue with da/sa triggers EXCEPT I am a 1911 shooter and that's what I have shot in semi autos for 50 years. I bought a CZ Shadow 2 SA and was very impressed, then as luck would have I have a local store that stocks Tanfoglios and tried one, then two both SA and as luck would have they had a Defiant Stock Master and I liked the rail and the price I paid more that makes up for the trigger swap.  So having one DA/SA is like having a cat in a room of dogs, what do you do with it :-). I have even replaced the triggers on my Glocks with Timney triggers that feel like a good SA.  I would hate to actually have to depend on the one odd ball. If you are used to DA/SA then your home free and probably don't like the cocked and locked carry I am used to.

On 7/26/2021 at 8:36 PM, sandflea316 said:

Dang that's it?  So just remove the interrupter from hammer and add a SA trigger

Yep.

But, the Henning flat trigger is really nice.

The easiest way to get a SA is this; cock the hammer and put the safety on. Some people shoot limited with their TFs and CZs this way. 

😁

Thought I'd add a couple of things.

The TF S/A Limited guns do not have firing pin block, so if you remove the interrupter for S/A only then you won't need the FPB.

If the super curved trigger isn't to your liking the is the Extreme trigger replacement which has a whole lot less curve. Personally I prefer that one and swap all my T/Fs to it.

Enjoy.

Edited by HesedTech

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/28/2021 at 12:59 PM, HesedTech said:

Yep.

But, the Henning flat trigger is really nice.

The easiest way to get a SA is this; cock the hammer and put the safety on. Some people shoot limited with their TFs and CZs this way. 

😁

Thought I'd add a couple of things.

The TF S/A Limited guns do not have firing pin block, so if you remove the interrupter for S/A only then you won't need the FPB.

If the super curved trigger isn't to your liking the is the Extreme trigger replacement which has a whole lot less curve. Personally I prefer that one and swap all my T/Fs to it.

Enjoy.

Where is the extreme trigger for sale at 

• 4 weeks later...

Double to single action update.  I purchased the extended trigger from Hennings and the stock master sa/da had a 2 piece sear and I was unable to feel the action was reliable. It is my understanding the other 2 versions would be fine but I do have very large hands. So I opted to get the full meal deal which included the ultimate hammer, sear, spring and firing pin and have them do the dirty work. I will take it to the range this weekend along with my Shadow 2 SA and let you know how they compare. Both have about 2.3 lb trigger pull.

forum.jpg

Edited by oldmanwithagun
grammer

• 3 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, SickSilverado said:

How did it turn out?

For me I love it. At first it's disconcerting as it feels like there will not be enough hammer strike to ignite the primer but I haven experienced any miss fires in both a box of commercial range (S&B) and a box of handloads. It's light, but not to light, 2.4 lbs. about the same as my Shadow 2 SA

Edited by oldmanwithagun
spelling

As can be seen in the picture, the trigger sits at 90% to the bore so the break would have to minus. After reading your question I worked the action and would guess about 1 to 1.5 degrees travel for take up, really very small and it looks like a final break at maybe 3.5 degrees. The trigger I have is the large so it sits (the face) farther forward, when comparing to the SA on my Limited Custom and the CZ SA my finger to thump (wrapped holding to fire) is at least 1/4 to 1/3 inch.  Take up is at least half the distance and total travel 1/3 the travel of the Limited, CZ and Hunter SA's.

This definitely a keep the finger off trigger till ready to fire setup. 

The other guns have curved triggers, so my finger rides higher and the negative break isn't as noticeable because you don't feel the slant. If I had the disposable cash I would have the same setup on the Tanfoglios and the CZ with the Hunter being set a 3 to 3.5 pounds. I think of myself more as a precision shooter than action shooter.

Edited by oldmanwithagun
cleaning