Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Preferred OAL for Montana Gold 124gr JHP?

Cuz

Hey all, I'm just getting started on a couple of cases of 9mm Montana Gold 124gr JHP bullets and was wondering what you are all using for an OAL?

I just went through a few thousand of the Precision Delta 124gr JHP bullets loaded to 1.086" and had great results.  Without any adjustments to the press, I loaded a handful of the MG bullets and they were about 1.09x".  I can certainly load them like that and not have to worry about going back and forth between those two bullet brands as availability permits.

I shoot mostly Glocks, with an occasional STI, and Ruger PCC thrown into the mix.  The plunk test isn't really a factor as just about any length will plunk.  I do want to keep them under 1.125" to prevent any issues with the Taylor Freelance Goliath base pad I use for the PCC.

Anyway, I was just wondering what you were all loading to for OAL with this bullet.  My only previous experience with Montana Gold was about 12 years ago when I shot .40 cal in Limited.

As a point of reference, I'm using 3.9gr of TiteGroup to get me anywhere from 129-135 PF depending on which Glock or the STI that I chrono.

Thanks,

-Cuz

Cuz - I am loading my PD 124JHP at 1.094835”(🤪)  but my Dillon tends to range them around 1.092” to 1.098” sitting on top of 3.5grs. of 231…..Powder Puff load that cycles and functions 100%:in my 226’s, P320X5, and PPC…..For shooting Steel Challenge why waste the powder with a heavier load…..Mark

7 minutes ago, Sigarmsp226 said:

Cuz - I am loading my PD 124JHP at 1.094835”(🤪)  but my Dillon tends to range them around 1.092” to 1.098” sitting on top of 3.5grs. of 231…..Powder Puff load that cycles and functions 100%:in my 226’s, P320X5, and PPC…..For shooting Steel Challenge why waste the powder with a heavier load…..Mark

Ha, I don’t do steel challenge. For me it’s some USPSA and mostly knockdown steel that isn’t always calibrated, so I like the 129-135 PF loads. 

Roger that - Now do not get me wrong - I can handle the Power Factor factor - I once uploaded this same bullet to 3.8grs of 231 and needless to say I was putting out the power……Once you get older, like me, you will load down to whatever allows your equipment to function for the discipline you are shooting….

To your point I did shoot some IDPA matches at our local club and this particular load did not like having to knock down steel(also not calibrated)…Figured that out real quick when I had to hit several twice to get them to fall….

Load away. You are seeing the difference in the profile. Would recommend checking Power factor.

You may find the MG are slightly lower. Has nothing to do with OAL. Its the  jacket material.

34 minutes ago, AHI said:

Load away. You are seeing the difference in the profile. Would recommend checking Power factor.

You may find the MG are slightly lower. Has nothing to do with OAL. Its the  jacket material.

Ha, no doubt I will chrono the load in all our pistols before churning out any quantity of ammo. I expect to end up with an OAL between 1.05-1.15 but haven’t given it any serious thought yet. I was just wondering what the rest of you were doing. 

right now I have the “processing” toolhead on and am working through some brass while I ponder my next steps. I’m also still looking at that bucket of about 150 rounds I loaded without primers and wondering when I should start pulling them now that the collet puller has arrived. Nah, I think I’ll just put those aside for a few months…

17 hours ago, Cuz said:

The plunk test isn't really a factor as just about any length will plunk.  I do want to keep them under 1.125" to prevent any issues with the Taylor Freelance Goliath base pad I use for the PCC.

I'm confused, haven't you already answered your own question? 1.09x is definitely under 1.125 and with the same weight bullet, powder, primer etc. I'd expect similar results.

Edited by 4n2t0

1 hour ago, 4n2t0 said:

I'm confused, haven't you already answered your own question? 1.09x is definitely under 1.125 and with the same weight bullet, powder, primer etc. I'd expect similar results.

No, my question was about the OAL that you all are using. Not what I will be using. I have no problem coming up with an OAL. I was just curious what everyone else was doing. 

I’ve always used Berry’s RN for my 9mm loads for over 10 years and have just recently switched to JHP Bullets. I always wonder, mostly out of curiosity, what others are doing, and sometimes I let it influence what I do based on the data. 

4 hours ago, Cuz said:

No, my question was about the OAL that you all are using. Not what I will be using. I have no problem coming up with an OAL. I was just curious what everyone else was doing. 

I’ve always used Berry’s RN for my 9mm loads for over 10 years and have just recently switched to JHP Bullets. I always wonder, mostly out of curiosity, what others are doing, and sometimes I let it influence what I do based on the data. 

Ok but I'm not sure how asking for someone's OAL is going to help you. The ammo has to work in your firearm, not ours and other than functioning OAL doesn't significantly impact any other factors in handgun ammo (accuracy, velocity etc.)

Edited by 4n2t0

48 minutes ago, 4n2t0 said:

Ok but I'm not sure how asking for someone's OAL is going to help you. The ammo has to work in your firearm, not ours and other than functioning OAL doesn't significantly impact any other factors in handgun ammo (accuracy, velocity etc.)

my thought as well....

1 hour ago, 4n2t0 said:

i don’t recall actually asking for help, I was just curious, as I am about a lot of things. I’ve run 9mm ammo from 1.03x up to 1.160 over the years. 

I believe that OAL primarily affects reliability, but most very does have some affect on accuracy, velocity, etc. 

I really wasn’t trying to be a wise ass or anything, I was just curious. Good thing I’m not a cat, huh???

editing:

ok, I just went back and re-read my original post, and I guess it does sound like I’m asking for help, so my bad. Sorry about that. I was more curious than I was asking for help, even though it might not read that way. 

:)

On 7/25/2021 at 4:21 PM, Cuz said:

Hey all, I'm just getting started on a couple of cases of 9mm Montana Gold 124gr JHP bullets and was wondering what you are all using for an OAL?

I just went through a few thousand of the Precision Delta 124gr JHP bullets loaded to 1.086" and had great results.  Without any adjustments to the press, I loaded a handful of the MG bullets and they were about 1.09x".  I can certainly load them like that and not have to worry about going back and forth between those two bullet brands as availability permits.

I shoot mostly Glocks, with an occasional STI, and Ruger PCC thrown into the mix.  The plunk test isn't really a factor as just about any length will plunk.  I do want to keep them under 1.125" to prevent any issues with the Taylor Freelance Goliath base pad I use for the PCC.

Anyway, I was just wondering what you were all loading to for OAL with this bullet.  My only previous experience with Montana Gold was about 12 years ago when I shot .40 cal in Limited.

As a point of reference, I'm using 3.9gr of TiteGroup to get me anywhere from 129-135 PF depending on which Glock or the STI that I chrono.

Thanks,

-Cuz

Cuz:

FWIW, I was playing around with some 125 Zero JHP and JHP Conical to see what kind of OAL I would need for the Shadow 2 Orange.  Both balanced out to 1.080" as my standard.

For my match load 147g Zero JHPs, I standardized on 1.125".  Could have went longer..............

As others have stated, your barrel(s) are going to dictate the required OAL; and I can attest that most manufacturers will have different ogives that require finding that happy medium. 

2 hours ago, HOGRIDER said:

Cuz:

FWIW, I was playing around with some 125 Zero JHP and JHP Conical to see what kind of OAL I would need for the Shadow 2 Orange.  Both balanced out to 1.080" as my standard.

For my match load 147g Zero JHPs, I standardized on 1.125".  Could have went longer..............

As others have stated, your barrel(s) are going to dictate the required OAL; and I can attest that most manufacturers will have different ogives that require finding that happy medium. 

Thanks, I got to the range too late in the day to chrono the few I had, but since I was sighting in my red dot I ran some through when I was done and they were very accurate, but felt light in the Gen5 G34. When I switch my press back from processing to loading I’ll load up some more and chrono them before making any adjustments. I like the idea of being able to go between Precision Delta and the Montana Golds without changing anything. 

1 minute ago, Cuz said:

Thanks, I got to the range too late in the day to chrono the few I had, but since I was sighting in my red dot I ran some through when I was done and they were very accurate, but felt light in the Gen5 G34. When I switch my press back from processing to loading I’ll load up some more and chrono them before making any adjustments. I like the idea of being able to go between Precision Delta and the Montana Golds without changing anything. 

One thing that really helps me switch a bullet if needed, is use of the Redding Pro Micrometer Seating Die and very thorough notes of my setting for each round for each pistol!

The hardest part of a switch is if the MBF requires resetting the flipper ramp and/or the dropper.

Once I finalize my bullet of choice between 125 JHP and 147 JHP, I'll load up enough to keep me busy then take the opportunity to try out some coated lead practice/backups.

Haven't tried the PDs; but Montana Gold makes a great product!