Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

At 70 I'm Losing It

AzShooter

I'm not trying to do as well as I did years ago, too many health problems over the years, but my groups now are horrible.

I don't worry about elevation, I keep all my shot into an 8 inch Shoot-N-See target but I'm throwing them out both right and left.  I use my second joint of my index finger on the trigger.  In practice it appears to be the best way to go but I'm open to suggestions.  

At out monthly Steel Challenge Matches I can see myself pulling the gun right or left when I'm trying to go fast or slowing down.  My thought is I'm not following through by keeping the front sight clear when aiming.  I though I knew how to shoot but I have enough self doubt that I need some advice.

Not sure what is causing the issue, but I would suggest getting someone else to shoot the gun first to see if they get the same result, or if they notice something ‘off’ with the trigger pull that you may have gotten used to. This will eliminate any mechanical cause.

Try shooting one handed, bulls-eye style, if the shots are not going left and right then it may be your support hand causing the issue.

When you say you are using the second joint of your finger do actually mean that? With a semi-auto I always used the pad of the finger, and the first joint for revolver. I’ve never heard of anyone using the second joint before.

Yep I keep my finger deep into the trigger guard, so much so that I'm not using the pad or first joint.

From a rest  this gun keeps them into an inch at 25 yards so it's not the gun.  So many people will tell me what they think is wrong but I think I need to get a class from TGO for an hour or two.

I get what you are asking. I am 72 and accuracy is getting pretty bad. I bought a pair of Wilson Combat EDC X9s last year.

This is what I found. Every match someone has to come up and tell me what I am doing wrong.

I think I am finally narrowing it down. It is my grip. The double stack doesn’t quite fit. So the gun is wiggly slightly after each shot, hence both right and left. I believe it is a grip issue, not a shooting issue.

I shot my single stacks and suddenly I was accurate again.

“Grip”

Hope this helps.

Question has to be asked,  why the trigger finger in so deep? Arthritis or hand damage?    It is near impossible to pull the trigger straight back when that deep with a good solid grip without pulling the muzzle low left (if you right handed.  Consistent trigger pull would be difficult also as if your grip changes at all shot to shot it is going to really affect that joint.  Anyone who has shot for any length of time should be able to watch you shoot off hand and tell you what your muzzle is doing when you pull the trigger..

Edited by NoSteel

16 hours ago, AzShooter said:

I'm not trying to do as well as I did years ago, too many health problems over the years, but my groups now are horrible.

I don't worry about elevation, I keep all my shot into an 8 inch Shoot-N-See target but I'm throwing them out both right and left.  I use my second joint of my index finger on the trigger.  In practice it appears to be the best way to go but I'm open to suggestions.  

At out monthly Steel Challenge Matches I can see myself pulling the gun right or left when I'm trying to go fast or slowing down.  My thought is I'm not following through by keeping the front sight clear when aiming.  I though I knew how to shoot but I have enough self doubt that I need some advice.

Maybe using the middle joint because the hands aren't as strong as they once were?

I am where you are at at 66, A list of stuff keeps me from shooting at all let alone running SC matches at our club.

Maybe try to have somebody video from the side as you shoot. Double action is a tough game anyway. It might show a problem with something you can't feel?

The video awhile back helped me clear up some stuff. May work for you?

Keeping you (and us) older guys in my thoughts.

Here's 1 more idea...

We go to a match and have fun. MWP comes and shoots a match for each of us and we post his score!

We could both make GM. (If MWP is not too busy...)

I like to do that stuff at the practice range. I guess there is less pressure to "perform" and all I have to do is concentrate on the sights, etc.

in my opinion.

I think these days with cell phone video quality it might be an eye opener.