Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

konkapot

If they want to bitch about flags anthems and statues I don't care. Not much I would say about that because it's a 1st Amendment issue. It's the Fu** that would have me make them remove or cover it. I had a competitor wearing a hat at a Major match that simply said Fu** it. I took him to the MD and RM and they had him remove it. There are kids and ladies at matches. And that is offensive language and against the rules.

Baffles me why a gun owner would wear that though?

Regardless of politics, the SPORT is for anyone who chooses to partake in it.  With that said, wearing a shirt like that at a match seems like a rather uncouth and unintelligent thing to do, and if likely running their mouth along with it, seems like a way to end up being in the way of an accidental 180 violation.  Unpopular opinion, but keep politics of any kind the hell out of sport.  Ultimately if people had an issue with it, bring it to the MD attention and allow them to handle it.  In my opinion, it should be handled, definitively, once and never need to again.  All ignoring or allowing it will do is embolden others to do the same, and having confrontations of any kind where weapons are prevalent and employed is a recipe for disaster. 

1 hour ago, SGT_Schultz said:

Take it up the match director per 5.3.1

If that doesn't work, a trigger finger or 180 DQ will.

This is the kind of crap that brings more disrepute to the sport than somebody wearing something offensive. This needs to be taken care of WITHIN the rules. By enforcing a rule to DQ someone who didn't break that rule, shows a severe lack of ethics and honesty on the part of match staff, and, if it were to ever be revealed (and it probably would get around), that match staff's and match's reputation wouldn't be worth a plugged nickel, and would probably be banned from USPSA for life.

5 hours ago, GrumpyOne said:

This is the kind of crap that brings more disrepute to the sport than somebody wearing something offensive. This needs to be taken care of WITHIN the rules. By enforcing a rule to DQ someone who didn't break that rule, shows a severe lack of ethics and honesty on the part of match staff, and, if it were to ever be revealed (and it probably would get around), that match staff's and match's reputation wouldn't be worth a plugged nickel, and would probably be banned from USPSA for life.

There are certain actions and speech that will provoke a severe counter-reaction.  That one happens to be mine.

Finger and 180 calls are all immediate, need no corroboration from anyone, and are not appealable.  Good luck proving it wasn't legit.

Edited by SGT_Schultz

22 minutes ago, SGT_Schultz said:

There are certain actions and speech that will provoke a severe counter-reaction.  That one happens to be mine.

Finger and 180 calls are all immediate, need no corroboration from anyone, and are not appealable.  Good luck proving it wasn't legit.

Well, if you even contemplate doing what you say, at least we know what your character is. 

I wouldn't DQ a shooter for wearing such a shirt at one of my matches.   The shirt is obviously meant to protest the US of A.   (If only the US was perfect like every other country.  Ahem.)

I do believe however, that USPSA is a family sport.   There is no room for rude, vulgar and/or coarse language IMHO.   I would ask the shooter to reverse his or her shirt so the language was not visible.  

Lacking taste or exhibiting poor judgement isn't a DQ'able offense though IMHO.  

If this individual was looking to cause trouble, discontent or acting in a belligerent manner, he (or she) would be gone in a heartbeat.

The shooter with the shirt would probably be offended by having a patriotic RO officiating him or others taping and resetting.  We don't want to offend anyone so I guess he's on his own shooting the stage. 

21 minutes ago, konkapot said:

The shirt did not say the letter to spell out that particular word; it actually had the symbols I typed. There was no actual profanity on the shirt. 

In that case, I wouldn’t give him the pleasure of letting him know I cared about his shirt, and if it happened when my kids were just starting to shoot USPSA at age 12 it would become a teaching moment that we would discuss after the match. 

You all can revel in your self righteousness.  I, on the other hand, I know where the undercurrent fueling division in my country is coming from and where it leads.  I will do me level best to crush anyone with those leanings any way I can.

I have had enough.

Edited by SGT_Schultz

12 hours ago, SGT_Schultz said:

You all can revel in your self righteousness.  I, on the other hand, I know where the undercurrent fueling division in my country is coming from and where it leads.  I will do me level best to crush anyone with those leanings any way I can.

I have had enough.

so you would cheat to enforce your particular views? that is good to know. 

I never understand why people choose to give Fu*<tards so much power.  People have the right to say whatever they want in this country.  It is called the First amendment.  No one has to agree with it, but only you give those words power by how you handle the encounter, or the power you give them through those words.  They are obviously doing these things to get a reaction and create division.  If you don't give them a reaction you strip them or their power.  At the end of the day its words on a shirt, unless you make it more than that.  

20 hours ago, SGT_Schultz said:

This says a lot more about your character than the person wearing the shirt.

Back to the O.P.I too am offended but lots of people gave all they had to earn this right.

What I did was had shirts made with a big Red White &Blue USA on the front.

The back says "my country does not suck"

Sorry if I offended anybody...

BTW

As of last year the SC matches I run at our club all begin the pre match safety meeting with the pledge to the flag. I haven't heard any complaints (but lots of "thank you") and everybody seems to participate. Many say they never see that at their matches.

Edited by Dr. Phil