Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone make GM after the age of 50?

-JCN-

On 8/9/2021 at 6:36 PM, yekcoh said:

Literally, anyone can make "GM", paper GM.

Not everyone is a true GM.

I don’t actually believe that it’s physically within some people’s skill set to ever even make paper GM. 

17 hours ago, -JCN- said:

I don’t actually believe that it’s physically within some people’s skill set to ever even make paper GM. 

"Anyone can make GM" is said from the perspective of A. someone who is delusional and will never get there themselves of B. someone who made GM but doesn't understand everyone else isn't like them. It's like when we tell kids they call all be astronauts or world leaders or important artists. No, no you can't.

On 8/9/2021 at 5:36 PM, yekcoh said:

Literally, anyone can make "GM", paper GM.

Not everyone is a true GM.

If you make GM through classifier then show up to a major and lose to an A class, or finish at the rock bottom in class, What's the point?

I never understood why people get so caught up in the classification status. 

I think it's possible but it'd take 3 to 5 times more effort and time to achieve than to achieve at a young age.

You'd have to be retired and train full time, then you will easily hit GM.

How old are you?

I suspect that if you were 70 and started shooting USPSA when you were 65 you'd be singing a different tune.

Edited by ddc

7 hours ago, rowdyb said:

"Anyone can make GM" is said from the perspective of A. someone who is delusional and will never get there themselves of B. someone who made GM but doesn't understand everyone else isn't like them. It's like when we tell kids they call all be astronauts or world leaders or important artists. No, no you can't.

I see it all the time. A class shooter going 150% speed of their capability on classifiers to achieve GM status then get absolutely destroyed at major matches. 

Getting paper GM status is really not hard. All you have to do is take hero or zero approach at super classifier matches and get lucky. Or pay extra for as many tries it takes to get one classifier right at each match.

I know guys at retirement age spray to get GMs all the time. They don't shoot major matches  because they already know it won't turn out good for them.

To assume one is an A class based on his opinion and asking how old I am is asking for arguments with no merit. I'm not gonna go that direction.

Besides, CO and PCC classification % are still fresh and they are not shot out.

And no, someone starting at 65 has obvious limitations in physical aptitude. I don't think it's reasonable for people as old as 65 to start shooting and reach GM. By anyone,  I did not include extreme groups

Edited by yekcoh

38 minutes ago, yekcoh said:

I see it all the time. A class shooter going 150% speed of their capability on classifiers to achieve GM status then get absolutely destroyed at major matches. 

Getting paper GM status is really not hard. All you have to do is take hero or zero approach at super classifier matches and get lucky. Or pay extra for as many tries it takes to get one classifier right at each match.

I know guys at retirement age spray to get GMs all the time. They don't shoot major matches  because they already know it won't turn out good for them.

To assume one is an A class based on his opinion and asking how old I am is asking for arguments with no merit. I'm not gonna go that direction.

Besides, CO and PCC classification % are still fresh and they are not shot out.

And no, someone starting at 65 has obvious limitations in physical aptitude. I don't think it's reasonable for people as old as 65 to start shooting and reach GM. By anyone,  I did not include extreme groups

I've never seen anyone pushing way over their ability pan out for them. Most guys I see attempt to hero or zero a stage, zero it.  I don't think everyone can make GM either. I'd say maybe anyone that's reasonably athletic and willing to put to much time into this sport is probably capable of making G, but even that doesn't mean they will. Lot's of people put in the work and don't make it. I know guys who've been at this for years and shoot a lot and are still B class. 

You're not supposed to reshoot a classifier over and over again. You should report your club to your AC and get that problem sorted out. 

I do think just about anyone can make MA in IDPA though. 

39 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

I've never seen anyone pushing way over their ability pan out for them. Most guys I see attempt to hero or zero a stage, zero it.  I don't think everyone can make GM either. I'd say maybe anyone that's reasonably athletic and willing to put to much time into this sport is probably capable of making G, but even that doesn't mean they will. Lot's of people put in the work and don't make it. I know guys who've been at this for years and shoot a lot and are still B class. 

You're not supposed to reshoot a classifier over and over again. You should report your club to your AC and get that problem sorted out. 

I do think just about anyone can make MA in IDPA though. 

I appreciate that you are voicing your opinion instead of just calling out names.

I genuinely believe that everyone (excluding extreme groups) has the protentional to reach GM, with time and effort put into it of course.

I think the ones who put in the work but don't make it don't have the proper coaching and mindset or know what actually needs to be done to reach GM.

e.g. a B class would simply dry fire classifier stages over and over for weeks as fast as possible in the hopes that he'd do well on it. A lot of us know that's just not how it works.

I truly believe that all the pros and champions shooters out there weren't born with natural talents. They were blessed with parents who introduced them

to the sport early on with proper coaching. These people go through Junior camps with the most premium instructors and coaches to set them in the right path

early on; so they know what they are doing down the line. The information that actually legitimate instructors--there are tons of bogus instructors in shooting industry--provide are esoteric. 

Most people don't have that luxury or blessing to begin with and that's what sets them apart.

The clubs I've been to allow shooters to reshoot the classifier for additional fee which the subsequent classifier scores after first score does not count in the overall score of the match but are submitted to USPSA.

Edited by yekcoh

20 hours ago, yekcoh said:

I appreciate that you are voicing your opinion instead of just calling out names.

I genuinely believe that everyone (excluding extreme groups) has the protentional to reach GM, with time and effort put into it of course.

I think the ones who put in the work but don't make it don't have the proper coaching and mindset or know what actually needs to be done to reach GM.

e.g. a B class would simply dry fire classifier stages over and over for weeks as fast as possible in the hopes that he'd do well on it. A lot of us know that's just not how it works.

I truly believe that all the pros and champions shooters out there weren't born with natural talents. They were blessed with parents who introduced them

to the sport early on with proper coaching. These people go through Junior camps with the most premium instructors and coaches to set them in the right path

early on; so they know what they are doing down the line. The information that actually legitimate instructors--there are tons of bogus instructors in shooting industry--provide are esoteric. 

Most people don't have that luxury or blessing to begin with and that's what sets them apart.

The clubs I've been to allow shooters to reshoot the classifier for additional fee which the subsequent classifier scores after first score does not count in the overall score of the match but are submitted to USPSA.

I’ve heard it said that the only people who disparage paper GMs are non-GMs. 

23 hours ago, yekcoh said:

I shot my first USPSA match in March 2008 @39 years old and after I had ACL reconstruction and microfracture on my left knee.  I loved the sport and trained/practiced like crazy back then, but didn't have the cash to do much in the way of live fire practice.  I peaked at 82% in Limited.  My kid was born in 2013 and priorities changed.  Now, I can finally afford to hoard ammo/components and there aren't any to hoard!!  My hope is that my kid shows some interest in 3-4 years.  That will motivate me to start trying again.

On 8/13/2021 at 3:55 PM, yekcoh said:

I don't think we really disagree all that much. I do think what separates the pro's from everyone else is mental. And just getting to GM takes at least some of that mental game. The physical requirements of making GM really aren't high at all, but yet most will never make it. They could probably learn, even the mental stuff I know I certainly have come along way with the mental game thanks to shooting uspsa. But, most people aren't going to seek that out or put the time it. 

If just physical capabilities are all we are considering then most meet that criteria, but like you said that's only  part of the equation. They need the right mindset and most don't have it and probably wont learn it. Unlike other sports most people don't have access to a coach, most of your training will be by yourself and you're going to have to figure it out. Even taking a class the instructor is hopefully going to show you how to train and what to watch for while your training. Then give you a few specific things to work on. But then the instruction is over you have to go home and figure out how to apply what you've been shown. That's a skill in itself, most guys don't really know how to train and it can take a long time just to learn that.