Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone make GM after the age of 50?

-JCN-

Was having the discussion with a friend who didn’t think GM was really realistic to get after 50. 

I’m 45 and just made GM so I like to think he’s probably wrong!

Anyone with inspiring tales of the ageless

GM shooter? Better if they made GM after the age of 50. 

Thanks in advance!

I think it’s possible. I hit 49 in September. Not 50 but close enough. Over the next year the goal is to hit GM in CO.  Currently B Class in CO.  I will say I think if your eyes are not great and have not figured out perfecting your iron sights it would be pretty hard in a division that requires Irons. 

It wont happen if you do not put in the work obviously. 😉

Edited by Boomstick303

i made gm in steel (rfpi) at 57 or so, and inching closer in rfpo. I turn 60 next week and I think that while GM in uspsa LIM or SS is out of reach after the HHF's got screwed up a couple years ago, it's still perfectly achievable in CO. Or in PCC if I actually wanted to shoot PCC, lol.

21 hours ago, -JCN- said:

You need to add "started to shoot USPSA at 46"...

Thanks for trying to encourage me, bud. I am at 78% right now so I am about 5 hundos away. I'll see what I can do :)

5 minutes ago, YVK said:

You need to add "started to shoot USPSA at 46"...

Thanks for trying to encourage me, bud. I am at 78% right now so I am about 5 hundos away. I'll see what I can do :)

You can dooooooo iiiiiiiiiiit!

PM me if I can help with anything. 

(I started to shoot USPSA at 43…)

With the older stand and shoot classifiers… absolutely possible. 

I think it’ll get harder and harder if we continue the trend of “mini-stage” classifiers. 

I personally think we should - it’s a better representation of your ability to shoot your class in a match. 

I made Gm in Revo when I was 50, but that's Revo so it kinda doesn't count. 

that said I see no reason it cant be done in a real division, most classifiers are short gun handling and accuracy tests, these skills are less age limited.

16 minutes ago, Dirty_J said:

With the older stand and shoot classifiers… absolutely possible. 

I think it’ll get harder and harder if we continue the trend of “mini-stage” classifiers. 

I personally think we should - it’s a better representation of your ability to shoot your class in a match. 

I’m going to make a counterpoint here:

The mini-stage classifiers are VERY range surface and traction dependent. 

On slippery pea gravel, I can put in a fantastic run on a 20 series classifier and it’ll only be upper A because I lose 0.5-0.75 seconds in my ability to get moving and stop. 

Same classifier on grass and I don’t even have to try that hard to Hundo it. 

The stand and shoot classifiers are more weather and surface independent which is what you want for something that’s going to be run everywhere all across the nation. 

Edited by -JCN-

On 7/26/2021 at 2:50 PM, -JCN- said:

On slippery pea gravel, I can put in a fantastic run on a 20 series classifier and it’ll only be upper A because I lose 0.5-0.75 seconds in my ability to get moving and stop. 

The stand and shoot classifiers are more weather and surface independent which is what you want for something that’s going to be run everywhere all across the nation. 

It’s a fair point… but I think those classifiers have yielded a fair amount of paper GM’s that shoot 70% matches than the 19/20’s. Maybe that’s just a local phenomenon.  

Sure. It can be more challenging on various surfaces… but that’s all part of it. Knowing what speed to run based on the circumstances. Not all of the 19/20’s require blazing fast raw times. 

I’ve got hundos on all kinds of surfaces. Indoor concrete. Outdoor grass/sandy soil. Outdoor pea gravel. YMMV🤷‍♀️

On 7/26/2021 at 2:50 PM, -JCN- said:

Great point, something I've never even thought of.  In the NorthEast every range I've shot on is basically a sandpit.  Ive seen 1 club with any grass at all.  

On 7/30/2021 at 6:43 PM, Dirty_J said:

I’ve got hundos on all kinds of surfaces. Indoor concrete. Outdoor grass/sandy soil. Outdoor pea gravel. YMMV🤷‍♀️

Yeah, but everyone knows those PCC HHFs are soft! 😝

On 7/24/2021 at 3:07 PM, -JCN- said:

Was having the discussion with a friend who didn’t think GM was really realistic to get after 50. 

I’m 45 and just made GM so I like to think he’s probably wrong!

Anyone with inspiring tales of the ageless

Thanks in advance!

Literally, anyone can make "GM", paper GM.

Not everyone is a true GM.

If you make GM through classifier then show up to a major and lose to an A class, or finish at the rock bottom in class, What's the point?

I never understood why people get so caught up in the classification status. 

I think it's possible but it'd take 3 to 5 times more effort and time to achieve than to achieve at a young age.

You'd have to be retired and train full time, then you will easily hit GM.

3 hours ago, yekcoh said:

Literally, anyone can make "GM", paper GM.

Not everyone is a true GM.

If you make GM through classifier then show up to a major and lose to an A class, or finish at the rock bottom in class, What's the point?

I never understood why people get so caught up in the classification status. 

I think it's possible but it'd take 3 to 5 times more effort and time to achieve than to achieve at a young age.

You'd have to be retired and train full time, then you will easily hit GM.

B and C class shooters are always fascinated with the concept of "paper GMs", I never hear Masters and GMs using that term. You get out of the alphabet classifications yet?

1 hour ago, PatJones said:

B and C class shooters are always fascinated with the concept of "paper GMs", I never hear Masters and GMs using that term. You get out of the alphabet classifications yet?

I agree with just about all of this. Only thing is I have heard GM’s mention paper GM many times.