Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which powder, I have on hand

Bakerjd

Considering the pain it is to find and get powder right now I am looking to use one of the powders I have currently to load 40 for limited major. Bullets are SNS 200GN, OAL is 1.180. 

Powder I have

Win231/HP38 

Win 572 

Hodgdon HS6

Win Autocomp

Titegroup (rather not use but if it's the best of the given ones I will)

Thanks,

Josh Baker

I ran coated 200gr LRN bullets for a year or so with 4.3gr of W231 but a little shorter than you (1.136" to fit some 40 S&W-only mags that I have). 

172-174 PF from one 5" barrel and 177-179 PF from another.

• 1 month later...
On 9/8/2021 at 8:17 PM, Bakerjd said:

Picked up some ramshot competition. Anyone have a little load data for using that?

Good choice.  Just look in the manual.  Better than all the other choices you presented.  Loads from others do you no good, because you have to chrono in your own barrel.

Your splits will be faster with 180s and faster yet with 165s.

5 hours ago, zzt said:

Good choice.  Just look in the manual.  Better than all the other choices you presented.  Loads from others do you no good, because you have to chrono in your own barrel.

Your splits will be faster with 180s and faster yet with 165s.

Yeah I was talking with the owner of BBI and that's what he had recommended and I found some for sale so I snagged it. 

Oddly though I've bought 5 or 8lb of a few powders now so I guess incase I run out of one I have back ups. Lol

On 9/8/2021 at 7:17 PM, Bakerjd said:

Picked up some ramshot competition. Anyone have a little load data for using that?

My powder of choice for limited major when they were available. I think( if I remember correctly) I was loading 4.4 grains at 1.175 oal. And Made 172 pf using my Benny Hill long slide. 

2 hours ago, bulm540 said:

My powder of choice for limited major when they were available. I think( if I remember correctly) I was loading 4.4 grains at 1.175 oal. And Made 172 pf using my Benny Hill long slide. 

Good info mate! Mine has a 5.4" KKM Barrel.