Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brightest Red Dot?

fastlane604

Currently I have an SRO 5moa, DPP 6moa both red dots and a Holosun 507c with 2moa dot and 32 moa reticle in green.  All are slide mounted on pistols.  I had a DPP with the triangle and traded my buddy for the SRO.  I am 70 years old and need a bright dot.  The reason I traded the first DPP was the dot was not bright enough. When the DPP 6moa came out I figured Leupold had corrected that shortcoming.  Wrong on my part.

Now, if you are 30 years old you are probably wondering what the heck is this old man talking about. Those dots are plenty bright for me. If you shoot long enough you will understand.  Old eyes need more light and in the case of red dots, more brightness.  I just bought a 10/22 for rimfire rifle open.  The SRO is my brightest red dot, but I still need more brightness to acquire the dot quicker.  Are there any red dots with a brighter dot than an SRO?  Thanks for the help.

If you are indicating the dot in the SRO is bright enough but you need to "acquire the dot quicker" is that not a matter of indexing the dot to the eye properly?  Maybe I am not properly understanding what you are tying to convey.   If you feel you need something to aid you in "acquiring the dot quicker" I would think something with a dot and a ring like the Holosun would make more sense.

Increasing the dots brightness is not going to make you index the optic correctly, and a dot that is too bright leads to other issues when you do acquire it.

I have experience with most RDS in some capacity, and I do not believe there is a brighter dot than that SRO on the market.  

I will say using a Holographic optic like the EoTech, or the Vortex Huey may be an option.  The EoTech gets every bit as bright as my SRO, but has the ring and a dot.  Target acquisition with that optic feels faster than with my old Holosun 410C.  I would try to barrow this optic before buying.  They are both over $500 and would be expensive mistakes if they did nor work out.

Edited by Boomstick303

56 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

If you are indicating the dot in the SRO is bright enough but you need to "acquire the dot quicker" is that not a matter of indexing the dot to the eye properly?  Maybe I am not properly understanding what you are tying to convey.   If you feel you need something to aid you in "acquiring the dot quicker" I would think something with a dot and a ring like the Holosun would make more sense.

Increasing the dots brightness is not going to make you index the optic correctly, and a dot that is too bright leads to other issues when you do acquire it.

I have experience with most RDS in some capacity, and I do not believe there is a brighter dot than that SRO on the market.  

I will say using a Holographic optic like the EoTech, or the Vortex Huey may be an option.  The EoTech gets every bit as bright as my SRO, but has the ring and a dot.  Target acquisition with that optic feels faster than with my old Holosun 410C.  I would try to barrow this optic before buying.  They are both over $500 and would be expensive mistakes if they did nor work out.

The SRO is my brightest dot. I would still like it to be brighter.  I live in the middle of Kansas.  We are blessed with many days of very bright sunshine. On the most sunny of days, the dot is not bright enough for me. When I am inside at home, I have no trouble picking it up.  It is plenty bright.

55 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

So can you not see the dot even on the brightest setting?

Maybe look at the C-more slide ride, you can get that with a 16 MOA dot. It's not brighter but bigger maybe that'll help you see it. 

I can see the dot.  On very sunny days it isn't as bright as I would like it to be.  On cloudy days it is fine. We don't have many cloudy days where I live.

5 hours ago, AzShooter said:

Of all the dots I've tried the C-More is the brightest.  I run Railways on my pistols with 12 MOA dots and they work great even on the brightest sunny days.

You don't feel that the 12 moa dot is too large on 10 inch targets at 18 yards?

1 hour ago, fastlane604 said:

Az and Earl,

Do you have the standard switch or the click switch on your C-Mores?

I have the click switch on all my C-Mores.

The 12 MOA dot will only cover about 2.5 inches at 18 yards.  If the dot is anywhere on the target you will hit it with proper trigger pull.

I have an Aimpoint PRO on my 5.56mm AR, and a Comp M4s on my D/I .45. On AR15.com, you can find used Comp M4s for a little over the price of the PRO, new. If you watch, you'll find awesome deals.

To me, I stick "best red dot" to Aimpoint. Yes, they are a little more pricey, but you rarely see them fail. The PRO is probably the best value in their line, especially with the mount being included. I like the Comp M4 series, as they use AA batteries. The PRO batteries are harder to get, but when you replace them yearly... it isn't THAT bad.

I actually did pick up one of those SIG branded Holosun sights for my father's Colt (going to be a Christmas present, and found a great deal). Opted for the AA version, as it would be easier for him. I've heard good things, however, I don't put them on par with Aimpoint.

What it really comes down to, is how much "best" you want to pay for.

15 hours ago, AzShooter said:

I have the click switch on all my C-Mores.

The 12 MOA dot will only cover about 2.5 inches at 18 yards.  If the dot is anywhere on the target you will hit it with proper trigger pull.

I have both and prefer the click switch, keeps me from inadvertently leaving the power on when not in use.

The brightest, most intense red dot I have ever seen is setting 12 on the Aimpoint Micro.

It is usually TOO bright for use under normal lighting conditions and the round dot will starburst & lose crispness.

The rare occasion that I use this setting is when the sun is at your back, extremely bright and lighting up & reflecting off of a freshly painted white plate.

My two cents.  I spent a long time chasing the brightest red dot.  I found bright dots, especially if they bloom, cause problems.  I find I am looking at the dot instead of the target.  I went to a 22 moa dot on click 5 for steel and it works fine.  Battery life is increased and I look at the target and see the dot superimposed.

Same with the 5 moa dot so for uspsa.  Med is best, except I do turn it up one for steel.  I shoot many more As on medium.

23 hours ago, zzt said:

My two cents.  I spent a long time chasing the brightest red dot.  I found bright dots, especially if they bloom, cause problems.  I find I am looking at the dot instead of the target.  I went to a 22 moa dot on click 5 for steel and it works fine.  Battery life is increased and I look at the target and see the dot superimposed.

Same with the 5 moa dot so for uspsa.  Med is best, except I do turn it up one for steel.  I shoot many more As on medium.

Same, I find I shoot best with the dot reasonably low. It's rare I have my dot all the way up. I find that super bright dot scream "hey look at me". 

FTP Sports Alpha3.

There's simply nothing brighter. That thing will burn retina's if you're not careful.

Lots of threads about them in the B.E. practical shooting USPSA forums, which is where I learned of them.

I put one on my CO gun 1.5 (?) years ago.

Waaay better them my C-MORE's, and better battery life also.

Downside though is that it has a rather large footprint as they were made primarily for Open-Class Race guns.

• 2 weeks later...