Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

200gn coated bullets lube ring

Bakerjd

I am looking around for an alternative to blue bullets and just about everyone else's 200gn 40 cal bullets have a lube ring. I seat to 1.180 and am wondering if the lube Ring is going to be an issue? I usually order from SNS these day as their shipping has been extremely fast. Or DG Bullets but DG is having an issue with their latest batch of coating, sad because theirs also do not have the lube Ring. 

Thanks,

Josh

What specifically is your concern with the lube rings?

I have no issues with lube rings on my home cast and PC'd bullets, as a matter of fact, I never gave them a thought. I'd imagine bullets without lube rings would cause higher pressures with more bullet bearing surface in the bore unless the bullet was specifically designed to have the same amount of bore contact as a similar bullet with one or more lube rings present.

I attached a pic of two of my un-sized 180 grain .40 cal PC'd bullets. After a lot of load development I found that load data between the two was for my purposes the same if not identical. If there were no lube rings, I'd start from square one working up a load.

pcd_40_cal.jpg

Edited by gnappi

On 7/22/2021 at 2:48 PM, steveac1 said:

Been running 200 Gr Bayou coated and SNS Casting 200 Gr coated for years at 1.180 with no issues whatsoever.  

Thanks

I actually emailed SNS and they said I would be good to go. After A5 I'll be working up a 40 cal load using the SNS 200gn bullets. Now I just need to figure out what powder to use. I have titegroup (not my first choice), win231, HS6, A #5 currently. So hopefully I can get a softer shooting load with one of those. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/24/2021 at 1:24 AM, Bakerjd said:

Thanks

I actually emailed SNS and they said I would be good to go. After A5 I'll be working up a 40 cal load using the SNS 200gn bullets. Now I just need to figure out what powder to use. I have titegroup (not my first choice), win231, HS6, A #5 currently. So hopefully I can get a softer shooting load with one of those. 

I have Sport Pistol behind this load. 4.0/4.1 will get you where you need to be.