Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How do you fit a FPS to an Aftec extractor correctly?

So I know this isn't a drop-in part normally and could use some guidance. I couldn't find much on how to do this when searching this forum or Youtube and using it as-is, it's not feeding consistently, mostly not going into battery all the way. It does seem to eject perfectly though.

I would like to get this extractor working in my 9mm open but can't seem to find instructions I can understand to get this done. I read somewhere to bezel the groove in the FPS so that it can pivot, but how much, and I question if I'm even doing it right cause I can't find a decent picture to compare it to. I also read you normally don't have to mess with the hook, even though my stock one is rounded and polished. But I question that now cause of the inconsistent feeding.

Can anyone point me to something that holds my hand thru this process?

thanks in advance.

If your FPS isn't super tight it's fine. Put a single spring in the front and use fpr a while. When it stops working take old spring and move to rear hole and put new spring in front hole. Repeat as often as needed. 

IMO they are not the best thing since sliced bread. 

1 hour ago, Bakerjd said:

If your FPS isn't super tight it's fine. Put a single spring in the front and use fpr a while. When it stops working take old spring and move to rear hole and put new spring in front hole. Repeat as often as needed. 

This is backwards.  If the extractor tension is too tight, run the REAR spring only for a few thousand rounds, then move it to the front and add a new rear spring.  The rotation is back to front..  

FWIW, PT specs the Honcho with a rear spring only.

1.  Bevel the fps so it doesn't bind in the corners of the extractor notch per the instructions.

2.  I use a pair of parallel jaw pliers to collapse the two springs and use both springs.  Been doing it that way for probably 20+ years (ever since AFTECs came on the market) and works perfect every time.

3.  Although the mfr doesn't recommend it, and it will void your warranty, I tune the extractor hook.  Basically the same shape, etc. as for a standard extractor.  And on 9/38, I don't have the hook contacting the extractor groove in the case.  I know some people advocate that approach, but it's not necessary, and is actually detrimental to smooth, reliable feeding.  Plus, it hacks up your brass.  Again, I've been doing it that way for 20+ years and have never had a gun that didn't run 100%.

I collapse the springs to .125" per instructions and use both springs.  Old Aftecs always ran 100% and seemed to last forever.  I still have extra springs that were not needed.

If you are still having trouble with your Aftec, it may be one of the newer ones.  They are not made as well as the originals.  The last one I ordered was made by the new company and the dims were off.  I sent it back.  I have been using EGW 9/38/40 HD extractors.  If you know how to set them up correctly they run 100% seemingly forever.  Since I no longer have any 1911 or 2011 40sw guns, I've lately been ordering the EGW 9/38 HDs from Atlas.  He has EGW custom make some for him that are .008" shorter.  They fit better and are for 9mm and 38SC only.

12 hours ago, Balakay said:

This is backwards.  If the extractor tension is too tight, run the REAR spring only for a few thousand rounds, then move it to the front and add a new rear spring.  The rotation is back to front..  

FWIW, PT specs the Honcho with a rear spring only.

Ahh s#!t yeah. Either way I've seen them fail more then a standard quality extractor. 

16 hours ago, CHA-LEE said:

How about following the very detailed instructions provided with it???? Why do people have to make things hard than it has to be by being lazy?

I bought this one off a FB group, new but missing the instructions. Ltdstr posted screenshots of something I've never seen before.

I've scoured a ton of posts here on the forum as well and notice you're more snippy than most at questions posed. I've read your book and you've been a great help with all the other content you put out and I really appreciate that but man...why do you have to always assume people are being lazy or always have the information right in front of them and are just ignoring it?

Everyone else in the thread, thank you. I'll give that all a try and give it a go again.

5 hours ago, jim vaughan said:

I do not understand why there is a recommendation not to hardchrome the Aftec.

I was always led to believe it somehow affects the hardening process? APW would PD not chrome mine when I sent them my gun. 
I just sanded the exposed end to match my chromed slide.

7 hours ago, jim vaughan said:

I do not understand why there is a recommendation not to hardchrome the Aftec.

As the strength of steels increases, the fracture toughness decreases, so the likelihood that hydrogen embrittlement will lead to fracture increases. In high-strength steels, anything above a hardness of HRC 32 may be susceptible to early hydrogen cracking after plating processes that introduce hydrogen. They may also experience long-term failures anytime from weeks to decades after being placed in service due to accumulation of hydrogen over time from cathodic protection and other sources.

As is usual in all aircraft level hard chrome plating, a hydrogen embrittlement removal process is done.

After this process, I do not see the need for a ban on this type of plating. Both of my Aftec's have been plated as well as most of the parts on my weapon.

Not saying it can't be done.  I have a couple that are hard chromed and after many thousands of rounds, are still in one piece and working just fine.  I think the warning is because they don't know who's doing the plating or how it's being done, and don't want to be on the hook to replace parts that fail for reasons beyond their control.

On 7/22/2021 at 5:25 AM, chrisstophere said:

I bought this one off a FB group, new but missing the instructions. Ltdstr posted screenshots of something I've never seen before.

I've scoured a ton of posts here on the forum as well and notice you're more snippy than most at questions posed. I've read your book and you've been a great help with all the other content you put out and I really appreciate that but man...why do you have to always assume people are being lazy or always have the information right in front of them and are just ignoring it?

Everyone else in the thread, thank you. I'll give that all a try and give it a go again.

I opened up a google search and input "aftec extractor instructions" and the TOP result is the link listed blow which is the exact document that was posted by another person here via pictures.

http://allthehowards.com/pistol/sti_extractor/aftec instruction sheet.pdf

If you are not willing to do super simple research on your own that literally takes less than 10 seconds to perform then YES you are being lazy. You instead wasted your time and everyone else's time by starting this thread in the first place because you wanted someone else to spoon feed you an answer. To me, that is a clear definition of what a "LAZY PERSON" does. Please enlighten me and everyone else on this forum on how your inability to help yourself is not considered being Lazy.

I also want to point out that I am simply pointing out the facts of YOUR actions. If you don't want to be called out as being "Lazy" then stop doing "Lazy" stuff and wasting other peoples time.