Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Optic for a household G17 g5 MOS?

lfine

Just about to (finally) pick up my G17 gen 5 MOS that i want for Home use and want to make it as quick and simple to use as possible in case it's me or somone else in my house that ever had to use it. What optic would people recommend in this case. Again, not for competition. Thanks.

It takes time, dedication and effort to develop the necessary index to quickly find the dot.  Iron sights don't require near the work IMHO.   If you're concerned an inexperienced individual in your household may need to use the Glock, I'd stick with irons.   Even then, practice is necessary.

Just my 0.02.

2 hours ago, NETim said:

It takes time, dedication and effort to develop the necessary index to quickly find the dot.  Iron sights don't require near the work IMHO.   If you're concerned an inexperienced individual in your household may need to use the Glock, I'd stick with irons.   Even then, practice is necessary.

Just my 0.02.

Agreed. My money would go towards night sights/light

For home defense a light is important for identifying your target. I elect to use an RMR on my nightstand gun but I do practice and typically shoot dot guns, like the others mentioned you might be better suited with a good weapon mounted light and a good set of irons. The Swampfox (Liberty or Justice), and Romeo 1 Pro are nice since they have a shake wake activation. I have an RXS 250 I'm probably going to replace the RMR with when I swap out the batteries as it's top loader. 

Going with a dot will require you to change the batteries and also with a weapon mounted light ensure the intensity of the dot will not wash out with the light. Do you typically shoot glocks with red dots? If not you're better off with a weapon mounted light and iron sights. 

6 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello, get a green laser/light combo with your iron sights. Much easier to learn and use. Thanks, Eric

Either green or red, but this is clearly the best answer for inexperienced users. With a laser you don’t even have to look at the gun or through a red dot window. Something that comes on when the grip is held firmly. Especially when you may have to shoot around a corner or from behind cover in an awkward position where you can’t get behind the sights. Heck, you could even get hits on target with your hands tied behind your back, and don’t discount the affect a red dot in the center of a person’s chest has on their willingness to continue with their actions. 

I agree that iron sights are a a safer bet than a dot if different people might use the pistol. For use at night you need a light.  It doesn't have to be weapon mounted, but for less experienced shooters that would make things easier. The laser suggestion has a lot of merit. At close ranges, lasers are easy to use and they do have some intimidation factor.

Any of the reliable dots out there should be fine. RMR is king, 508T and 509T are great. Even a 507C will do the job. 

As others have said a light is definitely recommended.

I do however think that a laser is not as simple and easy for inexperienced people to use in a fast paced high adrenalin just woke up in the middle of the night type scenario. 

Training with whatever you have is the best option. 

On 7/17/2021 at 8:21 AM, lfine said:

Just about to (finally) pick up my G17 gen 5 MOS that i want for Home use and want to make it as quick and simple to use as possible in case it's me or somone else in my house that ever had to use it. What optic would people recommend in this case. Again, not for competition. Thanks.

Assuming you and others in your house hold know how to use optics already and spent some time with them, here is my 2 cents.  If your looking for a dedicated house gun with optics, going on 3 or so years now I have the burris fastfire 3 on a nightstand gun (gen 3 g19), I have it on the lowest setting and the battery last about 6-7 months. I take it to the range every time i change the battery just to confirm zero. I did try the holosun 507c and 407c (sold the 407 since I like the circle dot better) with shake wake option however it is not for me, a bit slow to turn on in my opinion however the battery is still good, haven't change it yet (about a year now), I have the 507's now primarily on competition CO gun. The FF3 is cheaper than the Holosun's and great warranty. 

Appreciate the point everyone was making about the laser/lights. We’re very used to SROs on our CZs. Was just curious if anyone recommended a different one based on this gun and this use. Thanks 

• 2 weeks later...

Just to add another opinion to the stack...as others have said, in this case recommend you stick with iron sights.

I use Red Dot optics on all my competition pistols and I love them, but it takes time and effort to get used to finding the dot and using it effectively.  In your case, where others in your household might be using the firearm, you really don't want a Red Dot unless all users have the training to use it well.  And even though I love a Red Dot for competition, I use irons on all my EDC/Home Defense pistols.

I think we’ll just stick with the SROs. We definitely want to use a red dot, just a matter of choosing what. Guess we’ll just stay with what we know best. Thanks 

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/6/2021 at 6:45 AM, tdp88 said:

I would stick with the SRO. Those saying only irons for home defense probably still shoot single stack... 

Nope, Beretta LTT RDO for competition, but just iron sights on my non-competition guns. 

I just like not introducing unnecessary failure points when it comes to defending myself. How you do you is your business, I have no opinion on it. Which is why I didn't respond to the original post in this thread, and it seems the cat already knew what he wanted.

You're entitled to your opinion as long as you don't mind being wrong (about those who prefer iron sights on self defense guns).