Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carry Optics & Rail Mounted Light

dapribek

17 hours ago, Chrisyoung said:

In co your allowed to us a laser so you can use a light laser combo as long as it fits the box and the light is not used.

I hate rule-checking people but can you quote a source on that? I could see this being a point of contention at a big match.

The relevant rules I found are:

IDPA Rulebook

• 8.1.8 Non-IDPA-Legal Features and Modifications for All Divisions - The following features and modifications are not allowed in any division unless otherwise specifically allowed in the rulebook.
    • F. Lights mounted on firearms.
    • G. Rail mounted lasers and bolt-on trigger guard mounted lasers are not allowed.

Carry Optics Appendix

• 1.2. Types of Optics - Optics suitable for this division fall under two categories with different restrictions on how they are mounted to the firearm.
    • B. Active: These are Red or Green LASER sights that project a dot onto the target. Active LASER sights are permitted to be mounted on the frame of the firearm. Typical locations can be the rail or the pistol grip. This rule supersedes Rule 8.1.8.(G) found in the 2017 Rulebook.

I don't see anything that voids 8.1.8.(F) regardless of whether or not the light is used.

8 minutes ago, matteekay said:

I hate rule-checking people but can you quote a source on that? I could see this being a point of contention at a big match.

The relevant rules I found are:

IDPA Rulebook

• 8.1.8 Non-IDPA-Legal Features and Modifications for All Divisions - The following features and modifications are not allowed in any division unless otherwise specifically allowed in the rulebook.
    • F. Lights mounted on firearms.
    • G. Rail mounted lasers and bolt-on trigger guard mounted lasers are not allowed.

Carry Optics Appendix

• 1.2. Types of Optics - Optics suitable for this division fall under two categories with different restrictions on how they are mounted to the firearm.
    • B. Active: These are Red or Green LASER sights that project a dot onto the target. Active LASER sights are permitted to be mounted on the frame of the firearm. Typical locations can be the rail or the pistol grip. This rule supersedes Rule 8.1.8.(G) found in the 2017 Rulebook.

I don't see anything that voids 8.1.8.(F) regardless of whether or not the light is used.

I couldn't find anything in the rulebook covering it so I asked idpa. Here's a screenshot of the email I received from my AC

Screenshot_20210723-132003_Email.jpg

Screenshot_20210723-131617_Email.jpg

47 minutes ago, matteekay said:

1.2. Types of Optics - Optics suitable for this division fall under two categories with different restrictions on how they are mounted to the firearm.

I am not ordinarily a Gotcha type, but I can imagine a requirement that if your CO pistol is equipped with a laser sight, then you must use the laser to aim the gun.   

Regardless of devison you don't have to use whatever legal sighting system you have on your firearm. But it sure does help.

In CO you may have a laser, slide ride reddot and back up irons as long as it fits the box and makes weight.

As the SO running the stage I'm not going to try to determine which one you are using nor do I care.