Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SCSA - What is "X" Classification in Practiscore?

Hoops

When signing up for a match in Practiscore there is U thru GM classes but then "X".  Occasionally I see someone using "X" as their class.

Does anyone know that the "X" class is?

Thanks.  Makes sense now.  Practiscore then is set up for both USPSA and SCSA so it appears the X is there for USPSA...............and should not be used for SCSA (I feel reasonably certain X is not used by SCSA).  I think that some folks use the X instead of U when signing up for local steel matches.

Appreciate the info.

From a shooter registration point of view 'x' should not be used, but I had a first hand experience a few years ago where I registered and showed up to the east coast championship SC match ( level 2 ).   Upon check in they told me that my USPSA/SCSA membership was expired and I had some period of time to renew it else my scores would be invalid.   My results showed a class 'x'  when match results published.  I rapidly renewed and all was good.      The net.net is there was some kind of backend validation that the club or SCSA did that validated and put me in 'x' class based on expiration status.   

16 minutes ago, jrdoran said:

From a shooter registration point of view 'x' should not be used, but I had a first hand experience a few years ago where I registered and showed up to the east coast championship SC match ( level 2 ).   Upon check in they told me that my USPSA/SCSA membership was expired and I had some period of time to renew it else my scores would be invalid.   My results showed a class 'x'  when match results published.  I rapidly renewed and all was good.      The net.net is there was some kind of backend validation that the club or SCSA did that validated and put me in 'x' class based on expiration status.   

Thanks.  That would be a rude surprise to travel to a match and get hit with your situation.  Glad you were within the time limit and got it squared away.  

3 hours ago, Hoops said:

Practiscore then is set up for both USPSA and SCSA so it appears the X is there for USPSA...............and should not be used for SCSA (I feel reasonably certain X is not used by SCSA).  I think that some folks use the X instead of U when signing up for local steel matches.

As far as I can see, the SCSA classification update file USPSA provides to PractiScore to pull in, does have Xes the same way as the USPSA classification update file.

Personally I don't really see anything special about updating competitor's classification for either discipline, or why PractiScore would apply any additional logic on top of the update files published by USPSA for those disciplines. But if you feel strongly that the SCSA file should not have those Xes, please bring that up to USPSA.

12 minutes ago, euxx said:

As far as I can see, the SCSA classification update file USPSA provides to PractiScore to pull in, does have Xes the same way as the USPSA classification update file.

Personally I don't really see anything special about updating competitor's classification for either discipline, or why PractiScore would apply any additional logic on top of the update files published by USPSA for those disciplines. But if you feel strongly that the SCSA file should not have those Xes, please bring that up to USPSA.

Nope.  No issue with me one way or another.  Was just a curiousity question.  

1 hour ago, Darqusoull13 said:

Yeah, we actually need to remove that from our match...

It is not necessarily the case.

For SCSA non-members could be allowed for Tier 1 matches. The rule book says membership is recommended, but not required. Appendix A1.

For USPSA - non members are allowed at L1 matches and also you don't have to be USPSA member to shoot any USPSA matches if you are member of another IPSC region. See rule 6.4.1.

Speaking about 

1 hour ago, euxx said:

It is not necessarily the case.

For SCSA non-members could be allowed for Tier 1 matches. The rule book says membership is recommended, but not required. Appendix A1.

For USPSA - non members are allowed at L1 matches and also you don't have to be USPSA member to shoot any USPSA matches if you are member of another IPSC region. See rule 6.4.1.

I was referring to Area 4, a L3. 

10 hours ago, euxx said:

The 2nd part of uspsa rule 6.4.1 applies to all levels

My initial query.....which was just a curiosity question........was what the X meant..........relative to SCSA.  Since none of my SCSA shooter friends knew, I thought I would ask Enos folks.  After reading the comments posted and looking up references made, I understand it's meaning better now relative to SCSA.   

It's also my understanding USPSA rules should not be crossed referenced or applicable to SCSA.  USPSA 6.4 has a bit more detail regarding USPSA shooters and matches and SCSA Appendix A1 - Match Levels outlines when a shooter is Recommended to be a member (L1) or Mandatory (L2, L3 and L4).  Area 4 is L3 therefore all shooters must be a active/current member and X would not be available.

Thanks for the comments to my initial query.