Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading 38 short colt

MrUnderwood08

Looking to develop load for 627 using 158gr to 170gr coated bullets. Are you trimming down 38 special brass and if so to what length? I'm using TK moon clips for starline and will probably cut down brass I already have if it is okay to do. I seem to remember reading that some were experimenting with a length around .900 (between short and long colt). What dies are you using and accessories on Dillon (I'm running a 650). IE do 38 special case feed components work with the shorter brass? Thanks for any help. 

It's my understanding that you can't trim .38 Special to Short Colt because the web starts too high in the case, and you can't seat bullets. 'Mid Colt' works, though.

I actually just ordered a 750 plus casefeeder, so I'm up to the minute on the right accessories. According to Dillon, you need:

* The small pistol casefeed plate

* F (9mm/.38 Super) powder funnel

* .40 S&W purple casefeed adapter

* Remaining parts from the .38/.357 caliber conversion kit

I plan on using Lee dies for size/seat/crimp.

There’s no advantage to .900 over going all the way to short colt, other than there’s more case to send in and out of the gun. Get short colt brass, put a 38special die in the sizing station, a 9mm die everywhere else and send it. 

This

8 minutes ago, MWP said:

There’s no advantage to .900 over going all the way to short colt, other than there’s more case to send in and out of the gun. Get short colt brass, put a 38special die in the sizing station, a 9mm die everywhere else and send it. 

This

13 minutes ago, MrUnderwood08 said:

Do you know if the 9mm lee factory crimp die work as well?

The 9mm factory crimp die works fine for me, with the adjustment dialed almost all the way out. Puts a nice straight-wall crimp on.

The carbide final-sizing ring isn't a concern like some people say (or hasn't been for me), because the sizing ring has to accommodate the largest width of a 9mm case, which is .390". Plenty of room for a .379" .38 case to fit in without getting squeezed.

11 hours ago, MWP said:

The only other thing I change is the Case Feeder Plunger, I use the Medium rather than the Small (which I do use for 9mm).  Makes the S1050 run a lot smoother with less times of the cases hanging up on initial feeding into the press.

Also with 38 Short Colt brass keep the oal of the load above 1.170" with those heavy bullets.  I use .358 160 crn from Bayou, BBI and if loaded shorter they will occasionally create a bulge midway down the case that won't chamber.  Due to the web.

Here's my load

Name: .38 Short Colt: 160gr Bayou RN: Clays 3.05gr: Starline Case: OAL 1.20

Notes: S&W 627 

Shots: 9
Average: 810 ft/s
SD: 8 ft/s
Min: 797 ft/s
Max: 824 ft/s
Spread: 27 ft/s
Power Factor Average: 129
Power Factor Low: 127
Power Factor High: 131

Barometric Pressure: 30 in Hg
Temperature: 74 F

Weight: 160.0 gr.
Powder/Wt: Clays/3.05gr
Bullet/Wt: Bayou 160gr RN
Primer: Fed SPP
Case: Starline
OAL: 1.20
Gun: S&W 627

20 hours ago, Fishbreath said:

It's my understanding that you can't trim .38 Special to Short Colt because the web starts too high in the case, and you can't seat bullets. 'Mid Colt' works, though.

I tried trimming 38 special to 38 super length. I averaged one keyhole on the target per cylinder. I believe I was into the web of the case at a length of .900.

14 hours ago, ysrracer said:

Thanks, on my 750 it's called "the shell pusher thingy".

🤣When you questioned me I had to look it up to make sure I wasn't feeding out false information!