Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Federal 115gr ammo and Hiperfire Eclipse - Are Pierced Primers a Critical Concern?

Got a hold of a few hundred rounds of standard 115gr Federal 9mm, nothing special. Took my PCC out to the range and noticed approximately 3 or 4 pierced primers out of a hundred fired. Should I be concerned about using Federal 9mm in my PCC in the future? Currently being used with a Hiperfire Eclipse trigger with the weaker red springs, paired with a Taccom 9mm bolt and a Brekke Custom barrel.

Well, I would be concerned.  I recently bought some Federal primers because that was all that was available. I had fired literally thousands of round through the PCC using Win and CCI primers with zero issues.  After only 150 Federal primers the firing pin channel was so gunked up the firing pin would not move.  It took me hours to get it cleaned out.  I immediately suspected pierced primers, because Federals are so soft and the Hiperfire whacks the firing pin so hard.  Unfortunately, I have over 1000 already loaded up.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ARBilly said:

Check your firing pin for a damaged tip and try a different one. the Iron city titanium firing pin may be a good one to try. 

That is exactly the firing pin that I am using. No damage is visible to me on the firing pin.