Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P320 legit trigger enhancements

yekcoh

21 minutes ago, yekcoh said:

I think Xfive legion already has a light trigger from factory.

What I care most about is the crispiness of break and very short reset. I watched one youtube review of the armor trigger and he said the reset was .1" which seems too long for me. What's Burke's trigger reset length?

The reset length can be managed by the Armory Craft trigger.  It has both pre-travel and over-travel adjustment screws.  The pre-travel screw was set right up against the wall, almost no travel at all which was similar to my Open guns.  The over-travel is set close to less than .1" but you have to work on the setting to get to that level.  If you screw it in too far, the trigger won't reset.  So there is a limit.  You find where that limit is on your gun and then back it off 1/16 of a turn at a time until it resets.  Then back both screws out to a point where you can apply LocTite and remember how many turns you backed them out.  Apply the LocTite and screw them back in the same number turns.  Let the LocTite setup overnight.

BC

Edited by BillChunn

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Rich406 said:

The reset on the TSA trigger is significantly less than the reset on the GG kit

Agreed.

My backup Legion only has the GG kit and Armory Craft trigger installed.  When looking at the sear / hammer engagement to the striker surfaces on the two guns, the TSA version has different geometry (angle), is highly polished and narrower.

When cleaned and the light amount of grease is applied, the backup's trigger is at 1 pound 12.2 ounces.  Is the difference noticeable?  Yes as the TSA version can be adjusted through the Armory Craft trigger screws to provide a crisper break and the pre-travel can be taken right to the wall.

YMMV

BC

Backup.jpg

Personally I found the GG trigger kit to be the right trigger pull weight but the extremely self and long reset makes me hate the gun. So I ordered the AC heavier reset spring and their double adjustable trigger. Hopefully that cures the problem. Otherwise ill just sell it and get an S2. Or not replace it since I never shoot CO. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
9 hours ago, tk4 said:

Does this new Keres trigger weaken the strikers ability to set off primers at all?   I want to continue to shoot small rifle primers.

The trigger has no effect on how hard the striker hits.

14 minutes ago, S&W627shooter said:

What kit or trigger should I get for just a crisper break?

Heavier Triggerbar spring.   This will possibly increase trigger pull, but it would give you better more positive return.  GrayGuns kits come with what they call a Snappy-Reset Triggerbar spring and Competition Triggerbar spring.  They will not sell the springs to you separately unless you call them and they verify you have purchased a trigger kit from them.  At least that is the way it used to be.  If you have a buddy that has a GrayGuns trigger he has purchased recently he is probably using the Competition Triggerbar spring and may just give you the Snappy-Return Triggerbar spring.  

In the end that may not be what you are looking for.  The heavier that spring I believe the higher your pull weight will be on the trigger.  

You have to go to an aftermarket trigger for shorter reset, or have work done on the gun.  Something to keep in mind the trigger has to travel at least 2 mm for the FCU to reset properly.  I have played around with a couple of triggers and the reset travel was essentially the same for all of the for the FCU to function properly.  For the Grayguns trigger they do not give the option to adjust the reset (this also ensures you are not overriding the internal safety from what I understand) and the reset travel of their trigger was a hair over 2mm.  For me I do not understand the hubbub over reset on that gun, when we are slapping the trigger 80-90% of the time for what we do.  These are not 2011s.  

Edited by Boomstick303

3 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

Heavier Triggerbar spring.   This will possibly increase trigger pull, but it would give you better more positive return.  GrayGuns kits come with what they call a Snappy-Reset Triggerbar spring and Competition Triggerbar spring.  They will not sell the springs to you separately unless you call them and they verify you have purchased a trigger kit from them.  At least that is the way it used to be.  If you have a buddy that has a GrayGuns trigger he has purchased recently he is probably using the Competition Triggerbar spring and may just give you the Snappy-Return Triggerbar spring.  

In the end that may not be what you are looking for.  The heavier that spring I believe the higher your pull weight will be on the trigger.  

You have to go to an aftermarket trigger for shorter reset, or have work done on the gun.  Something to keep in mind the trigger has to travel at least 2 mm for the FCU to reset properly.  I have played around with a couple of triggers and the reset travel was essentially the same for all of the for the FCU to function properly.  For the Grayguns trigger they do not give the option to adjust the reset (this also ensures you are not overriding the internal safety from what I understand) and the reset travel of their trigger was a hair over 2mm.  For me I do not understand the hubbub over reset on that gun, when we are slapping the trigger 80-90% of the time for what we do.  These are not 2011s.  

I am so with you on the reset thing. Why guys get so worked up about reset is beyond me. I'm jumping off the trigger during reset so fast and far enough that I couldn't care if the gun had a 1/16" or a 1/4" reset. 

I also used to think I cared about it being crisp. I've since moved beyond caring about a "crisp break" (at least on striker-fired guns). I just want a smooth and lightish trigger press that is even throughout. Like a really nice DA trigger but MUCH shorter and lighter. 

My GGI installed Competition Trigger Kit comes out around 2.75-3.0 lbs (depending on exact placement of the trigger weight gauge on the trigger face). But it is super smooth throughout and feels like the sear just "falls off" the backside of the trigger. I can shoot accurately with it. I can shoot wickedly fast with it. I can't ask for anything more.

9 hours ago, mrvip27 said:

Does the Keres (if adjusted too far) cause issues with the striker safety?

Any P320 trigger that has pre-travel adjustment will have some compromising effect on safety. All of the pre-travel is used to disengage the striker safety. So removing pre-travel is effectively removing the striker safety of the pistol. 

Over-travel adjustment doesn't impact the safety values, but can affect reliability of the reset during firing if it is adjusted too far. 

Edited by RileyBowman
Grammatical clarification

2 hours ago, RileyBowman said:

I am so with you on the reset thing. Why guys get so worked up about reset is beyond me? I'm jumping off the trigger during reset so fast and far enough that I couldn't care if the gun had a 1/16" or a 1/4" reset. 

I also used to think I cared about it being crisp. I've since moved beyond caring about a "crisp break" (at least on striker-fired guns). I just want a smooth and lightish trigger press that is even throughout. Like a really nice DA trigger but MUCH shorter and lighter. 

My GGI installed Competition Trigger Kit comes out around 2.75-3.0 lbs (depending on exact placement of the trigger weight gauge on the trigger face). But it is super smooth throughout and feels like the sear just "falls off" the backside of the trigger. I can shoot accurately with it. I can super wickedly fast with it. I can't ask for anything more.

Any P320 trigger that has pre-travel adjustment will have some compromising effect on safety. All of the pre-travel is used to disengage the striker safety. So removing pre-travel is effectively removing the striker safety of the pistol. 

Over-travel adjustment doesn't impact the safety values, but can affect reliability of the reset during firing.

That makes sense. Thank you!

For anyone interested you may want to contact Robert Burke the Sig Armorer as he is releasing his own trigger soon and he has some pretty awesome equipment that measures trigger pull. If he does action work for you maybe he can show you the details. Contact him about details. 

• 2 months later...
On 10/26/2021 at 4:19 PM, RileyBowman said:

O

No you can remove 70%-80% of the pre-travel before it starts to affect the striker safety... adjust pre-travel without the slide installed and find the point it starts to raise the striker safety then back off 1/32 of a turn and leave it.

21 minutes ago, 2011BLDR said:

No you can remove 70%-80% of the pre-travel before it starts to affect the striker safety... adjust pre-travel without the slide installed and find the point it starts to raise the striker safety then back off 1/32 of a turn and leave it.

You can see this while the gun is assembled?

Edited by Boomstick303

1 hour ago, 2011BLDR said:

I wonder how many people do this. I see more people talking about adjusting them to have zero pre-travel and 2 lbs pull. It's starting to seem like modern striker guns are turning into safety less SAO triggers. 

On 7/26/2021 at 2:51 PM, Racinready300ex said:

I wonder about these striker fired guns with almost no pre travel and sub 2lbs triggers and what they have for a safety. I know GG's wont put a pre travel adjustment on their trigger because they say you can disable one of the internal safety's. 

If someone had a 1911 with a 1.5 lbs trigger and no safety we'd all freak out even though that 1911 wont go off unless something touches the trigger. But a 320 with a 1.5 lbs trigger is clearly safe because magic that happens inside the gun where we can't see. Which will only let the gun go off if something hits the trigger. Kind of like the 1911. 

The other thing that comes to mind is at this point with so many striker fired guns capable of sub 2 lbs triggers, why don't we allow SAO is Prod/CO? There is virtually no difference anymore....That or maybe roll back some of the allowed modifications to a prod/co gun so there is a more substantial difference. 

Damn Good point!!!        2011 CO here we come haha

• 4 weeks later...

Have any of you guys experience different trigger pulls on different slides? I have a Max slide that has a SIGNFICINTLY better trigger pull than the Pro 4.7" slide I have. My understanding is that the striker is supposed to be the same across all of the P320 variants, but this has been a head scratcher for me. The break is much crisper and doesn't have a spongey springy break like my Pro slide.

1 hour ago, touji said:

Have any of you guys experience different trigger pulls on different slides? I have a Max slide that has a SIGNFICINTLY better trigger pull than the Pro 4.7" slide I have. My understanding is that the striker is supposed to be the same across all of the P320 variants, but this has been a head scratcher for me. The break is much crisper and doesn't have a spongey springy break like my Pro slide.

For whatever reason there seems to be a bit of variation in P320 triggers. Both with respect to pull weight and other parameters like creep, break, reset, etc.

Just now, ddc said:

For whatever reason there seems to be a bit of variation in P320 triggers. Both with respect to pull weight and other parameters like creep, break, reset, etc.

Extra odd because I’m using the same lower and FCU for the two slides. I’m definitely gonna have to see if theres any difference in the striker geometry between the two

5 minutes ago, touji said:

Extra odd because I’m using the same lower and FCU for the two slides. I’m definitely gonna have to see if theres any difference in the striker geometry between the two

Have you tried swapping just the strikers?