Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Staccato P 4.4

apetrulis01

3 minutes ago, Bluemooncricket said:

I actually had a conversation with Adam about an IDPA legal 4.6” gun before I purchased my Hyperion. He thought the barrel was going to be the problem because nobody made a bushing barrel that length. I guess they figured it out. As dumb as I am, I might even fork over the funds for a 4.6” bushing top end but I should probably just wait for the Hyperion to get approved instead.

Agreed.  I would need to shoot the 5x5 with each to see if there is much of a difference.  And maybe with my Cheely XWF.  I'd probably be sad to see that I'm just not very fast these days........

On 10/11/2021 at 5:51 PM, SGT_Schultz said:

Why even have an official rulebook?

Just make up your own based on e-mails that answer your questions to your liking.

Wasn't making up a rule book. I emailed an AC and that was the response. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/15/2021 at 12:00 PM, Jim Watson said:

I think it will fit The Box.

Then you get into the semantics.  It has a "bull" barrel which is not addressed in the rules although "cone" and "heavy" barrels longer than 4.25" are not allowed.

If you have one, take it and shoot it.

If you don't, I would not buy one without a clarification from HQ.

That is one of those silly rules that people with nothing better to do make fun of.

This.

• 4 weeks later...

This was posted on IDPA’s Facebook page. October 26th. 

From RACL Rick Lund: This is a reminder for many of you, and news to the remainder of everyone who sends in questions to HQ and their AC's about whether their gun is legal for IDPA. Figuring this out for you is not really the job of headquarters since the specifications of the divisions are detailed in the rulebook. 

There is one exception to this: Enhanced Service Pistol (ESP). 

What happened is in early 2017, after our new rulebook went into effect, manufacturers began turning out new guns and components that over time, have become stock items on service guns and questions started pouring in. Examples of these are lightened slides, heavier barrels, and weighted grips.  

Recognizing that technology and new manufacturing improvements are showing us new products and firearms every year that enhance off-the-shelf inventories for specific uses such as concealed carry. And because we accept these new guns into our sport where appropriate as Stock Service Pistols, it would only be a matter of time that the help desk would be receiving calls about mix and match guns for our other divisions. 

We also said to ourselves that we were not going to issue a new rulebook or addendums every time something new hit the market and the IDPA equipment check at matches. 

So we came up with a short-term solution until such time that the BOD and HQ decide to conduct a review of the rules for our sport. 
We announced that the test criteria for Enhanced Service Pistol would be: EDC-Fit the Box-Make Weight. The gun must still comply with 8.1.7.D addressing magazine releases. This policy supersedes the inspection criteria detailed in the rulebook for ESP. This way it is easier for everyone that wants to use any firearm that might otherwise be excluded using our rules. 

Stock Service Pistol means Stock. If there are any visible differences from an SKU on the manufacturers' website, the gun will not be allowed to compete in this division. 

The same principle applies to Custom Defensive Pistol. If you find a .45 that has a heavy barrel without a bushing or lightened slides that you want to compete with, enter the gun into ESP. 

Back-Up Gun (BUG), Compact Carry Pistol and Carry Optics have the same allowances as ESP with different size and weight restrictions. These are all published on our website, in our current rules and appendices. 

If you are really stuck, your AC or IPOC have the ability to get you a correct answer. 

See you on the range.
Rick

On 11/30/2021 at 9:16 AM, RogueWGMS said:

This was posted on IDPA’s Facebook page. October 26th. 

From RACL Rick Lund: This is a reminder for many of you, and news to 1Z333RF2A621283760the remainder of everyone who sends in questions to HQ and their AC's about whether their gun is legal for IDPA. Figuring this out for you is not really the job of headquarters since the specifications of the divisions are detailed in the rulebook. 

There is one exception to this: Enhanced Service Pistol (ESP). 

What happened is in early 2017, after our new rulebook went into effect, manufacturers began turning out new guns and components that over time, have become stock items on service guns and questions started pouring in. Examples of these are lightened slides, heavier barrels, and weighted grips.  

Recognizing that technology and new manufacturing improvements are showing us new products and firearms every year that enhance off-the-shelf inventories for specific uses such as concealed carry. And because we accept these new guns into our sport where appropriate as Stock Service Pistols, it would only be a matter of time that the help desk would be receiving calls about mix and match guns for our other divisions. 

We also said to ourselves that we were not going to issue a new rulebook or addendums every time something new hit the market and the IDPA equipment check at matches. 

So we came up with a short-term solution until such time that the BOD and HQ decide to conduct a review of the rules for our sport. 
We announced that the test criteria for Enhanced Service Pistol would be: EDC-Fit the Box-Make Weight. The gun must still comply with 8.1.7.D addressing magazine releases. This policy supersedes the inspection criteria detailed in the rulebook for ESP. This way it is easier for everyone that wants to use any firearm that might otherwise be excluded using our rules. 

Stock Service Pistol means Stock. If there are any visible differences from an SKU on the manufacturers' website, the gun will not be allowed to compete in this division. 

The same principle applies to Custom Defensive Pistol. If you find a .45 that has a heavy barrel without a bushing or lightened slides that you want to compete with, enter the gun into ESP. 

Back-Up Gun (BUG), Compact Carry Pistol and Carry Optics have the same allowances as ESP with different size and weight restrictions. These are all published on our website, in our current rules and appendices. 

If you are really stuck, your AC or IPOC have the ability to get you a correct answer. 

See you on the range.
Rick

I measured my new Staccato XL with 126 mm mag inserted this morning and much to my surprise, it measured 8.75 x 1.5 x 5.5 (41.5 oz) which makes it IDPA ESP legal.  Staccato's new beavertail design reduces the overall length from 9" to 8.75".

Anyone know which of these magazines will still fit the IDPA box?
1. Staccato 17 round (comes with gun)

2. Staccato 20 round (comes with gun)

3. Atlas 120mm Slide Lock Magazine

4. MBX Defender for 2011

5. MBX 120mm Slide Lock Magazine (basepad angled? not angled?)

5 hours ago, ES13Raven said:

Anyone know which of these magazines will still fit the IDPA box?
1. Staccato 17 round (comes with gun)

2. Staccato 20 round (comes with gun)

3. Atlas 120mm Slide Lock Magazine

4. MBX Defender for 2011

5. MBX 120mm Slide Lock Magazine (basepad angled? not angled?)

The Staccato 17 rounder (126 mm) fits in the box.

22 hours ago, ES13Raven said:

It has a very thin basepad.  Would the regular Atlas & MBX 126mm need the "angled" basepads to fit the box?

The Atlas 17 rounder is too tall by about 1/8 of an inch, above IDPA box tolerance of 1/16 of an inch.

• 9 months later...
2 hours ago, Dustoff54 said:

Soooo, if the P can be used in ESP,.... how about Carry Optics? 

In short if it is legal for ESP it is legal for CO.

There are some constraints such as total weight etc.

But you really need to check the rulebook. Not all that hard to find.

Edited by ddc