Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Choosing a Gun/Division

Just getting back into USPSA after dabbling in it years ago. I'm familiar with the rules and recent changes and fairly knowledgeable on the guns and gear.

I'm having trouble deciding what gun/division I should start off in though. I've narrowed it down to Production with a Glock 17 or Beretta 92 FS and/or my 1911 in single stack major. With the Glock I would probably have a TLR-1 on it since it is lightweight (relatively) and my transitions seem to be cleaner with a little heavier gun. I'd love to buy a Shadow 2 in the long run since that is what the cool kids are shooting these days. The Beretta may be closer to the Shadow in feel if that's where I'm headed in the long run. I have holsters and plenty of mags for either. Production seems like the place most people start and single stack seems to be a lot of die hard 1911 seasoned shooters. I could always give SS a shot later on after I learn the basics and gain some familiarity. 

I could probably swing buying a shadow 2, magazines, holsters and tune it up but it seems premature just starting off. I feel like I should shoot one of the guns I already have and earn the Shadow 2 in time. 

I’d say give your Glock a chance. Besides the light, you could add a tungsten guide rod, thug slug and Taylor Freelance  +0 Speed wedges to your mags. This extra weight may benefit you, it’s helped me. Good luck with any choice you make!

Looked at the latest match results for the local club. There were only 2 production shooters out of 35. 14 shooters in CO which was the largest group. I knew CO was gaining traction but I'm still surprised. Revolver and single stack weren't even represented. Weekly informal matches had a few SS/revos but the vast majority of people were shooting CO or limited(75%).  I'm not wanting to go red dot. Maybe an STI Edge in the future instead of the Shadow. 

Edited by MrUnderwood08

31 minutes ago, MrUnderwood08 said:

Looked at the latest match results for the local club. There were only 2 production shooters out of 35. 14 shooters in CO which was the largest group. I knew CO was gaining traction but I'm still surprised. Revolver and single stack weren't even represented. Weekly informal matches had a few SS/revos but the vast majority of people were shooting CO or limited(75%).  I'm not wanting to go red dot. Maybe an STI Edge in the future instead of the Shadow. 

I just saw your first post in this thread and was about to tell you that production and single stack are pretty much dead.

Not sure why anyone would not want to learn how to use the near future of handgun sighting technology.

Edited by SGT_Schultz

36 minutes ago, SGT_Schultz said:

I just saw your first post in this thread and was about to tell you that production and single stack are pretty much dead.

Not sure why anyone would not want to learn how to use the near future of handgun sighting technology.

I'm not against the usage of red dots. I have a G34 MOS that my wife will be using with an SRO/RMR. I'll be able to shoot and learn red dot usage with that as well. I own several handguns but they can't all accommodate RMRs. In the future I may buy another optic ready platform or mill the slide of one of my current handguns for competition or carry use but I do believe that proficiency with iron sights is a worthwhile pursuit. 

Shoot your Beretta as you'll be more used to the DA/SA when you switch to your Shadow 2 purchase in the future.

While Prod may be declining at your locals, if you do shoot section or area matches you'll have stout competition to gauge yourself against.

But I'm primarily a Prod shooter, so I'm biased.

Everything depends on your personal and financial situation and the amount of time and passion you want to invest in it. As far as divisions and specific guns are concerned, go to your local club and talk to fellow shooters and try out different guns to see what feels best and is the most fun to you.

Thanks for the the replies. I'm going to stick to shooting in production division for the foreseeable future. As a kid I grew up shooting Glocks all the way back to the first generation. Carried an M9 deployed in Afghanistan, shot it well and became comfortable with it.  

I've been pretty indecisive on which of the two to shoot. Ultimately what is most important is probably to pick one and put the other one away for a season and stick to a platform. I'll do some trigger work to the Beretta and re-evaluate but that is the direction I'm leaning. I was surprised/disappointed to discover that there are hardly any Beretta shooters at the competitive level these days. 

To be honest I don't care which gun I'm shooting as well as I can see progress and improvement. If I suck its not likely to be because of either gun.  I need to reign in my expectations some and gain some confidence.

I just ordered Stoeger's most recent book! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/14/2021 at 10:29 AM, MrUnderwood08 said:

I've been pretty indecisive on which of the two to shoot. Ultimately what is most important is probably to pick one and put the other one away for a season and stick to a platform. I'll do some trigger work to the Beretta and re-evaluate but that is the direction I'm leaning

personally I wouldn't put one away for a hole season, I would shoot a couple of matches with one and then try the other.  Plus I agree with Rowdy that the Berreta is MUCH closer to the CZ S2.

I LOVED Production Division. It is by far my favorite division, I shot it for years. Unfortunately, aging eyesight is forcing me to Carry  Optics. I wish CO was simply Production with an optic, but then again, it was nice to shoot my last match only having to do one mag change per stage. 

1 hour ago, MrUnderwood08 said:

Had the chance to hold a CZ Shadow 2 finally and I get why it is such a popular choice. Tempted to buy one even more now.  

I think I'd love to have one but I'd still do the same dumba$$ stuff as I do now.  :)

• 2 weeks later...

As a guy who is just getting back in myself, I have shot a Glock 17 in Limited minor along with carry optics. I like the fact I can load my magazines up with less reloads. Even as a newer guy coming back I really would enjoy shooting some single stack. I think a decent shooter can transition to different divisions that will assist them in their main division that they really want to compete in eventually. Main thing is having fun with what you shoot. 

Shoot whatever gun you are most comfortable with. Don't worry or even think about what anyone else is shooting. You shouldn't even take into consideration beating anyone except yourself. The most important thing is to have fun, want to come back and improve yourself every match. 

Oh yeah, and not get DQed lol. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2021 at 5:13 PM, Tunachaser said:

I would shoot a couple of matches with one and then try the other.  Plus I agree with Rowdy that the Berreta is MUCH closer to the CZ S2.

I did this for most of 2020 and it was a mistake.  The moment I concentrated on one pistol my improvement accelerated.