Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glockstore - Pure Tungsten Guide Rod

bigtimelarry

I have the Pure Tungsten Guide rod in my Glock 17 Gen4 using their 13lb spring but in my Gen 5 because it's longer the 13lb is sketchy. The 15lb is no problem but i like the feel with the 13lb but afraid to use it, i've tried it for maybe 50 rounds. I called Glockstore and asked them why they dont make a 14lb spring and they were lost.

Is anybody successfuly using a 13lb spring with the Pure Tungsten Guide rod in their Gen 5 ?  

5 hours ago, bigtimelarry said:

I have the Pure Tungsten Guide rod in my Glock 17 Gen4 using their 13lb spring but in my Gen 5 because it's longer the 13lb is sketchy. The 15lb is no problem but i like the feel with the 13lb but afraid to use it, i've tried it for maybe 50 rounds. I called Glockstore and asked them why they dont make a 14lb spring and they were lost.

Is anybody successfuly using a 13lb spring with the Pure Tungsten Guide rod in their Gen 5 ?  

What about trying a Wolff 14# recoil spring?

https://www.gunsprings.com

I don't think Wolff or ISMI springs will work.  The rod is a bigger diameter and apparently uses springs that can be found only at Glockstore.  

I am tinkering with a pure tungsten rod in my 34.5 and the 13 lb spring is just too light to reliably lock the gun.  The 15 works, but I may experiment and couple off a coil or two.    I also have a steel rod with a 13 lb ISMI and I think it's only slightly lighter than the pure tungsten 15.  

2 hours ago, deerslayer said:

I don't think Wolff or ISMI springs will work.  The rod is a bigger diameter and apparently uses springs that can be found only at Glockstore.  

I am tinkering with a pure tungsten rod in my 34.5 and the 13 lb spring is just too light to reliably lock the gun.  The 15 works, but I may experiment and couple off a coil or two.    I also have a steel rod with a 13 lb ISMI and I think it's only slightly lighter than the pure tungsten 15.  

The length :  13lb - 122 mm long  -  15lb -  137 mm long  Cut the 15lb to 130mm and it will be like a 14lb. If I put the pigtail (Cut) end towards the front it falls thru the slide and if I put it the other way towards the back it works great but scratches up the Guide Rod.   I do file the cut end so it's smooth but it still digs in.  Any suggestions ?

22 hours ago, bigtimelarry said:

The length :  13lb - 122 mm long  -  15lb -  137 mm long  Cut the 15lb to 130mm and it will be like a 14lb. If I put the pigtail (Cut) end towards the front it falls thru the slide and if I put it the other way towards the back it works great but scratches up the Guide Rod.   I do file the cut end so it's smooth but it still digs in.  Any suggestions ?

Good info. I haven't gotten around to cutting one yet. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/12/2021 at 7:50 PM, deerslayer said:

I have the G34 gen 5 guide rod and the ISMI springs work for me. There may be a tiny bit of wiggle room but it's been extremely reliable on both guns I have them in.

• 1 month later...