Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to Clean Rimfire Compensators?

varminter22

Bought a Buckmark Plus Vision Red UFX; my first compensator.  

I saw the video about using paracetic acid (distilled white vinegar, hydrogen peroxide, and water) - which apparently does a great job.  But its also a bit hazardous.  

How do YOU clean your comps?  

I use the 50/50 hydrogen peroxide and white vinegar solution.  I let it sit a few hours and then nock out the rest of the lead, if any, with my engraver Dremel.  I was concerned about disposing the mixture but after doing a lot of research on line It's not a problem to just put it in the sink and flush it out with lots of water.

Remember to wear gloves and safety glasses.  Remember to dump your compensator in water and Palmolive or other soap after you take it out of the mix.

Roger that.  Thanks.  

And although a bit late, I did find the old thread on this subject.  

I guess I was just hoping for a method that doesn't use the paracetic acid.  

I do plan to try the Dillon spray lube or Pam; and will probably buy some Frog Lube when handy.  

Dental pick? 

You guys must have far better luck cleaning yours then I do, as a dental pick literally ain't gonna cut it.

I soak it for hours in the 50/50 solution and still have to use a sharpened screwdriver/chisel and a hammer.

Scratches? Possibly, but as soon as you shoot it any scratches fill in with fresh lead.

6 hours ago, BentAero said:

Dental pick? 

You guys must have far better luck cleaning yours then I do, as a dental pick literally ain't gonna cut it.

I soak it for hours in the 50/50 solution and still have to use a sharpened screwdriver/chisel and a hammer.

Scratches? Possibly, but as soon as you shoot it any scratches fill in with fresh lead.

Same here. I use paracetic acid in my ultrasonic cleaner(comps/acid in a smaller sealed container). Still requires scraping, but much easier. I've tried lubricant and anti-spatter spray. . .comps still fouled just as bad in my opinion. I worried about damaging the comps at first, but got over that quickly. The Carolina Crusher is easy to clean, fouls less and is cheap enough to replace semi-regularly if needed. 

I wouldn't use peracetic acid if you have a comp with lots of tiny holes - I tried that with my TK comp and found that it was eating at the aluminum.

After switching to the Carolina Crusher I skip the peracetic acid and use an X-acto knife (with the scalpel and chisel blades) along with a dental pick to clean up the threads.  I'll spray it with solvent to soften up some of the crud but it still cleans fairly easily and much easier than with a multi-hole compensator.

I also use a 12ga copper bore brush once the bulk of the buildup is gone; a few spins helps highlight which areas are lead buildup that has been smoothed out to look like aluminum.