Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650/750 Q's

I'm thinking about adding another Dillon press (nothing else is an option) to my bench and since I could use 5 stations for my .357 Sig the 650 / 750 are logical choices. I know nothing about these so I have Q's...

Can I use it without bullet and case feeders? 

Most of the pix show it with the strong mount, is it required? If not is the operation height similar to the 550?

Are the 650/750 caliber conversion kits the same for both models?

Can auto indexing be disabled? (For setting up seater, crimp, powder dump etc. on bullet type change)

What stations are dedicated to a particular operation and cannot be changed?

Loading .357 Sig, these are the stations I'd need in this order, if not the press wouldn't be a good fit and I can stay with the 550 and continue to use a separate single stage press for my 5th station:

Station 1. Size, decap with a .40 carbide die and seat primer
Station 2. Lube the case neck with mica and size neck with .357 sig die
Station 3. Slight bell mouth and dump powder
Station 4. Seat bullet...

Station 5. Taper crimp

TIA

3 minutes ago, gnappi said:

I'm thinking about adding another Dillon press (nothing else is an option) to my bench and since I could use 5 stations for my .357 Sig the 650 / 750 are logical choices. I know nothing about these so I have Q's...

Can I use it without bullet and case feeders? Yes if you enjoy a casual pace in reloading. 😉 

Most of the pix show it with the strong mount, is it required? If not is the operation height similar to the 550? Not required. Not exactly sure on 550 comparison but I have a 650 on a bench that used to have a 550 and I didn't have to change anything. Due to height restrictions, I could not use the SM with either press. I have a tall bench.

Are the 650/750 caliber conversion kits the same for both models? Dunno but Dillon catalog can tell you the answer.

Can auto indexing be disabled? (For setting up seater, crimp, powder dump etc. on bullet type change) I am not sure but I have been using a 650 since 2004 and never had to disable the index. I took off the indexer block off the press just now and it inhibits index, but the ring indexer collides with the frame on the down stroke. Just do a cycle and move the case back. Easy

What stations are dedicated to a particular operation and cannot be changed? Decap is station one and prime is station 2. 

Loading .357 Sig, these are the stations I'd need in this order, if not the press wouldn't be a good fit and I can stay with the 550 and continue to use a separate single stage press for my 5th station:

Station 1. Size, decap with a .40 carbide die and seat primer
Station 2. Lube the case neck with mica and size neck with .357 sig die and seat primer.

Station 5. Taper crimp

TIA

My comments are in red and based on a 650.

Chuck THANKS a LOT! I'm going to hunt down a press now, hopefully I can find a used sample from someone who needs production and is upgrading.

I'm not interested in production, I'm down to shooting / training 100 or less rounds per week it gets tiring drawing more than that. Even with the odd time I'm doing load development I'm not shooting much more than that.

Oh, I did find a .40 caliber conversion that has 650/750 on the lable, so that's answered.

Thanks again

You are welcome, Gary! I used to do something similar when I was shooting a lot of .40. I liked using the "U-die" to help with what we used to call "Glock-ed brass". The die works great but since there is so little bevel on the mouth, it was fairly easy to crush a case that wasn't sitting just right or a weird shape. So, I went to the Dillon size/decap die in station 1, U-die in 2, powder in 3. It worked great until I discovered the KISS bullet feeder. I didn't have the patience to use a combo crimp/seater so the U-die went into the drawer. I am just loading 9 these days and never found a need for anything more aggressive than the Dillon die.

Good luck on your 650 hunt. 

Chuck

6 hours ago, ChuckS said:

Station 1. Size, decap with a .40 carbide die and seat primer
Station 2. Lube the case neck with mica and size neck with .357 sig die and seat primer.

Station 5. Taper crimp

My comments are in red and based on a 650.

On my 650, station 2 is dedicated to not only seating primer, but also belling the case and dumping the powder in. Pretty sure the 750 is the same. You could use station 3 to lube the case, size the neck and bell it. You can back the belling off on station 2. 

I use RCBS dies, so your station 4 and 5 steps are combined into one station for me. 

Edited by jejb

1 minute ago, jejb said:

On my 650, station 2 is dedicated to not only seating primer, but also belling the case and dumping the powder in. Pretty sure the 750 is the same. I use RCBS dies, so your station 4 and 5 steps are combined into one station for me. 

You can move the powder measure to #3 and still use the fail safe rod. I did it to make room for the second sizing die. I never had a powder check.

1 minute ago, ChuckS said:

You can move the powder measure to #3 and still use the fail safe rod. I did it to make room for the second sizing die. I never had a powder check.

Interesting. I would not have thought that possible. Just flip the rod around 180?

1 minute ago, jejb said:

Interesting. I would not have thought that possible. Just flip the rod around 180?

Yup, The measure has to rotate a bit. If you have other stuff like a bullet feeder or something, there may be interference. If not, you should be good to go. Another advantage is that there is only one index cycle between powder drop and seating. One less index for powder spill 😉

12 hours ago, gnappi said:

Can I use it without bullet and case feeders? 

Yes, when I first set up mine I didn't use either

Most of the pix show it with the strong mount, is it required?

No, mine's bolted to a shelf

If not is the operation height similar to the 550?

Yes

Are the 650/750 caliber conversion kits the same for both models?

Yes, the same

Can auto indexing be disabled?

Yes, remove the roller bearing

Edited by ysrracer

14 hours ago, ChuckS said:

Yup, The measure has to rotate a bit. If you have other stuff like a bullet feeder or something, there may be interference. If not, you should be good to go. Another advantage is that there is only one index cycle between powder drop and seating. One less index for powder spill 😉

That would depend on setup. I have a powder check, so there would still be an index cycle between them. Seating/crimping is one stage for me, so I would have room. 

On 7/12/2021 at 5:33 AM, dansedgli said:

Why not just load sig normally with 357 sig dies? 

<<SNIP<<

Actually, I do but first I use the .40 carbide die to size the body so I don't have to lube the whole case, then I dunk the mouth in Mica for the neck size on the Sig die.

On 7/14/2021 at 6:44 PM, dansedgli said:

That sounds like it takes an awful long time. 

I'm using dillon dies but I throw in 40 cases and they come out loaded as 357 sig. Hornady one shot as lube. 

Nah, the neck lube is no biggie, and I'm not trying to beat any records for rounds in a box so I'm good. Besides I'm too chea... ahem value conscious to spring for Dillon dies 🙂