Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open minor 9x19 load - for Steel Challenge and IPSC

Rasmilling

Hi guys - greetings from Denmark! 

I have a STI Steel Master which i use for IPSC and SC matches around here. Im currently working on a soft/flat shooting 9x19 load to be used in both disciplines.

(I know some will say that major is the way to go for IPSC, but i dont want to change to setup/load from SC to IPSC and vice versa) 

My idea was to run light bullets with slow burning powder, so that i would still have some gas pressure for the compensator (im not sure its the right idea, but thats my initial thought)

The load i have atm is a 102gr. Lee RN (which i cast and coat myself) with 6gr. VV N350 at 27mm OAL, it shoots at around 1300 fps. and PF 130. 

IMO it is a soft and flat shooting round, and way softer than factory loads… But can it be better? 

I made a few with 4.6gr. of N350 (reversed latter build you could say) which resulted in a load with NONE recoil at all (also only PF 107). Incomplete burn of powder and way less gas pressure for the compensator, which got me thinking that slow burning powder may not be the way to go?

Do you guys think it would work better, with a faster burning powder? And use the compensator more as a muzzlebreak? 

C307230E-639D-4B96-BF7C-2CB880342DE5.jpeg

6D13BBCF-8749-41E5-8B4F-96AFCEE0CFD8.jpeg

85178544-7403-4526-93BF-8E0DE216CD22.jpeg

Edited by Rasmilling

I can go both ways.  I have a custom 1911 Open gun with two barrels.  The main barrel is comp'd and I run 124gr over 7.0gr 3N38.  It is a nice, soft load.  7.4 under a 115 is also nice.  My home club does not permit compensators in their pistol matches.  So I fit a normal Bar-Sto bull barrel to the gun.  I shoot 124s over 3.2gr Alliant Sport Pistol.  Super accurate, clean and soft.  It won't run in the comp'd barrel unless I use more powder.

Most of the people I shoot SCSA Open with run between 145 and 155 PF.  That's enough to flatten the gun and still be soft.  Using a fast powder with a comp does work nicely.  You just have to experiment with loads and recoil springs to make sure it cycles reliably.

BTW, I'm not necessarily recommending 3N38.  I bought 12 lbs. while I was building my Open 2011.  Too late I discovered I could not fit enough in a 9mm case to make major, so I'm using it up for minor.  If I didn't have the 3N38 already, I'd be using WAC or N340.

I'm not sure what you're looking for as in better but if the 6 gr load allows you too track the dot well then your chasing something that is not going to be better on the timer.

I use 8.5gr of VV N350 to make major with a 125gr jhp and then just use a 115 gr bullet for practice which makes minor but still keeps the gun flat.

You can work up different loads based on what powder is available to you but for now you're fine.

I run 4.0 grs of aa#2 under a 124 delta p. Jhp for my sc load. I have used  6.8 grains aa#7 under the same bullet and it may be a little flatter but it’s not much difference and it’s not worth the extra powder imo. 

• 4 weeks later...

I am going to try with some Lovex D032, it should burn somewhere in between N320 and N330. 

I think i will get a better burn with a faster powder 🙂 and hopefully still run the comp.

Edited by Rasmilling

4 hours ago, Rasmilling said:

I am going to try with some Lovex D032, it should burn somewhere in between N320 and N330. 

I think i will get a better burn with a faster powder 🙂 and hopefully still run the comp.

My carbine has a barrel with about 7" of rifiling and 3" of comp. I use 115 gr bullets running about 1200 fps. D032 requires about 0.5 grain more than N320 for the same velocity. The comp seems more effective than with N320.

Perhaps splitting the difference, maybe using #5, N340, or WSF ? To be honest with you I have played around with this concept too. Currently running #7 w 90-100g but feel there are other ways to achieve the same outcome.  

9 hours ago, Squirrel45 said:

Perhaps splitting the difference, maybe using #5, N340, or WSF ? To be honest with you I have played around with this concept too. Currently running #7 w 90-100g but feel there are other ways to achieve the same outcome.  

Maybe. I am gonna try with the D032 for now, if it dosnt work, i will try with something in the 340'ish range.