Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow Systems DR920?

DavidSeavey

I handled one the other day at my local store and was pretty impressed with how it feels in the hands.  I realize its pretty much a glock but it's different enough that thought i'd ask.

I've been planning a polymer80 build but after pricing out parts it seems smarter to just buy the Shadow Systems threaded gun given what it includes already. The plan is a fairly lightweight open minor pistol for 2g and 3g with the option to shoot CO later.  

Any opinions on the gun? the optic mounting system? is the included magwell worthless?

Edited by DavidSeavey

I have one and like it. All my Glocks need grip reductions and this one already comes with great grip geometry, undercut trigger guard, high ride beaver tail, and adjustable back strap. Plus it's milled for low-riding RDS and has suppressor sights. My only negative is it does not have a trigger as crisp as my Gen 5 43x and does not accept Gen 5 trigger parts. (I believe the internals are mostly Gen 3,4.) They are designed to be working guns but that may not matter.  No apparent reason you can't  game it and have non-Gen 5 trigger work.. Mine is a carry gun.

• 1 month later...

I bought a DR920 thinking I would break it in and turn it into a carry optics rig and an MR920 for a carry gun.   Out of the box, I liked the fit and feel.   Grip felt good.   Decent sights.   Decent trigger.  Direct optics mount with no need to change sights or buy plates.   It was like I found someone that took a stock glock and did what I normally do to all my Glocks for about $200-300 less.  How could things go wrong?

Well…The trigger on the DR stopped resetting intermittently about 300 rounds in during a match.   I sent it back to them and they said the trigger bar was defective and put a new trigger group in it.   They also determined the fire pin hole was drilled far enough out of spec that they gave me a new slide.   It has been fine for 100 rounds since but I won’t use it in a match until I regain my confidence in it.  

the MR across a couple hundred rounds has been fine other than the thread protector shooting loose and it seems to have some stock glock parts instead of the proprietary shadow systems stuff (slide release for sure, who knows what else).

I read some really positives reviews before buying.   After my troubles I dug a little deeper.   Seems like trigger issues are common complaints and there was an issue with mag releases not retaining mags that many encountered.   Cosmetic, but I would also note their slide and barrel finishes are not very durable at all and especially compared to glock.   

Overall, their CS response was on point and they turned my gun around in 3 weeks with good communication, and the guns seem to be shooting fine now.   Reading various sites, my best guess is that they had some growing pains and a few batches of bad parts resulting in some bad guns.   The problem now is I have two fairly expensive glock clones that I don’t trust enough to shoot at a match much less to carry.   So do I burn a couple thousands rounds through each of them to restore my confidence or just go back to shooting my glocks.   Although I like the way they feel and they are performing well after the repair, I can’t say I would recommend them at this point.  That may change if I can get through a few cases of ammo with each and not have anymore problems, but TBH I am not sure I want to make that investment in them.