Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 mag feed lip comparison

FALAR

Having only recently taken the 2011 plunge I've come across things that I've found interesting.

Mainly with mags----I assumed 2011 mags were 2011 mags, but I've learned the hard way now that isn't true and not all are compatible with each other (no, I'm not talking about Para/Armscor/Caspian either) and found out that not one fits all as my SVI mags won't work in the current STI/Staccatos.

Here are some comparison pics I took of the current gen/gen 2 of each of the mag types, from L to R SVI, MBX, STI.  I guess there is a limit per post so I'll post a second pic below.

When I read many of the threads here via search about which mag works best I'm not surprised the responses are so varied---look at how different the feed lip designs are.  The MBX in particular has a much higher presentation and a much shorter total feedlip length.

I guess I really don't have a question----I kind of just wanted to post this visual because in all of the threads I've been digging up on the various "mag vs mag" threads I never saw anything that really illustrated the difference.  Time will bear out for me personally if one works better/lasts longer than the other now.

SVI, MBX, STI.jpg

I stick with MBX. I have a a bunch of gen 2 STI 40 cal mags that have been good but I find the real issues are with mainly 9mm mags. Every single MBX mag I've bought has worked 100%. You do have to do the recommended break in as per the note on the paper inside the package when you get the mag but they are reliable. 

On 7/9/2021 at 2:45 AM, HI5-O said:

Now Atlas Gunworks are producing their own line of magazines too.

Really?  A new player entering the game is surprising.

I wonder who is actually going to do the manufacturing too, maybe checkmate?

Edited by FALAR

On 7/9/2021 at 2:49 PM, FALAR said:

Having only recently taken the 2011 plunge I've come across things that I've found interesting.

Mainly with mags----I assumed 2011 mags were 2011 mags, but I've learned the hard way now that isn't true and not all are compatible with each other (no, I'm not talking about Para/Armscor/Caspian either) and found out that not one fits all as my SVI mags won't work in the current STI/Staccatos.

5 minutes with a milling machine (dremel for me) on your frame just above the grip screws will fix that. 

It just needs a small bevel to remove the sharp corner to give enough clearance. Both STI and SVI mags will work then. 

I just checked their site, no clue as to who is actually doing the manufacturing but at least in 9mm they are down 2 in capacity compared to SVI and MBX in both 126 and 140.

On 7/14/2021 at 9:22 PM, FALAR said:

I just checked their site, no clue as to who is actually doing the manufacturing but at least in 9mm they are down 2 in capacity compared to SVI and MBX in both 126 and 140.

In a recent video I believe they said the current followers are duty. Race followers will be coming end of year.

I'm also interested in the 40. I've busted a number of tubes learning how to tune feed lips. It was fairly daunting as a beginner.

On 7/14/2021 at 1:29 PM, TRPOperator said:

I have been running the new Atlas mags for a couple of months now. All of my STI, MBX, and SV mags were either sold or are now practice mags. 

what is it about the Atlas Mags that you like better than all the others?

16 hours ago, lroy said:

In a recent video I believe they said the current followers are duty. Race followers will be coming end of year.

I'm also interested in the 40. I've busted a number of tubes learning how to tune feed lips. It was fairly daunting as a beginner.

The capacities I listed for MBX and SVI is with lockback followers.  Add 1 to those MBX numbers for a non lockback comp follower.

On 7/16/2021 at 8:42 AM, Balakay said:

what is it about the Atlas Mags that you like better than all the others?

They cut the mag release hole like 15thou lower to raise the bullet a touch higher, then re-did the top shoulder etc to gain a better angle and reliability. They also used a different process so that tubes come out more dimensionally consistent and correct. For my gun the bullets hit the top 15-20% percent of the feed ramp very consistently. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/17/2021 at 5:02 PM, TRPOperator said:

They cut the mag release hole like 15thou lower to raise the bullet a touch higher, then re-did the top shoulder etc to gain a better angle and reliability. They also used a different process so that tubes come out more dimensionally consistent and correct. For my gun the bullets hit the top 15-20% percent of the feed ramp very consistently. 

I'd he really interested in this new process. Adam said they stamp then fold and weld if I remember correctly. 

On 7/28/2021 at 10:35 PM, Bakerjd said:

I'd he really interested in this new process. Adam said they stamp then fold and weld if I remember correctly. 

I belive you are correct it is a different process and has worked well for the mags I have so far.

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve had complete reliability using STI gen 2 tubes following the Atlas YouTube video recommendations for my Atlas Titan in 40. 

Never had a failure on a mag that within spec. Only a hand-full when out of spec.