Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Going blind

konkapot

I've been using reading glasses for about 2 years now. 

Picked up an iron sight gun at work today and the front sight was a nice ball of nothing. 

For fun I put my reading glasses on and it made a huge difference. 

Any reason NOT to use $10 reading glasses when shooting irons?

3 minutes ago, konkapot said:

I've been using reading glasses for about 2 years now. 

Picked up an iron sight gun at work today and the front sight was a nice ball of nothing. 

For fun I put my reading glasses on and it made a huge difference. 

Any reason NOT to use $10 reading glasses when shooting irons?

Other than they probably won't be impact rated, they'll probably work.   

It has worked for me for several years now. Not bifocal glasses, full frame readers. Bifocals make you loose the sights. I put them on while setting up and by time of the match I’m use to walking around with readers on. 

With readers, you're going to have a hard time seeing targets at a distance.  Much better to get prescription glasses with lenses that are near focus for dominant eye and distance focus for the other.  I have them in transition lenses so I can use the same pair inside and outside.  Works great once you get used to it.

22 minutes ago, ltdmstr said:

With readers, you're going to have a hard time seeing targets at a distance.  Much better to get prescription glasses with lenses that are near focus for dominant eye and distance focus for the other.  I have them in transition lenses so I can use the same pair inside and outside.  Works great once you get used to it.

This is what I do also. Works good. 

Just know that that if you get a very sharp focus on either the sights or target the other one will be lacking. I found a happy medium that I like. 

1 hour ago, SteelCityShooter said:

The ultimate fix for aging eyes is a red dot sight.  The dot and the target are in the same plane and there is no problem having to focus on one or the other.  

Yep, the solution to presbyopia is sitting on top of the gun

4 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

I’ve been using the same setup for a few years, works well but the initial getting use to them was a bit 🤪

I have been using +1.00 readers for a few years now.  They make a huge difference. Check out safetyglassesusa.com.  They have full frame reading safety glasses.  I have not been able to find full frame readers that are tinted though.  

11 hours ago, Don_B said:

This is what I do also. Works good. 

Just know that that if you get a very sharp focus on either the sights or target the other one will be lacking. I found a happy medium that I like. 

just take into account, your reader lens will change over time as you age, so if you go with one lens for front site, that will need to change over time.

40 yoa 1.0

50 yoa 2.5

13 hours ago, DeweyH said:

I have been using +1.00 readers for a few years now.  They make a huge difference. Check out safetyglassesusa.com.  They have full frame reading safety glasses.  I have not been able to find full frame readers that are tinted though.  

Some full lens glasses here:

https://www.fullsource.com/elvex-rx-500c/?bifocal=14&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkreP7KLX8QIVDbjICh13lAB0EAQYASABEgIMmfD_BwE