Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Show up late

Bakerjd

So anyone that knows me knows unless the loving girlfriend is going to the match with me I'll probably be dang near late. This is why I work 2nd shift, I have an inability to wake up early in the morning. So last weekend we had two matches. One saturday and one sunday. Saturdays match I made it to on time because I got off work, relaxed at the house for a few hours then went to the match. Sunday however I had set up so I'd drive over to ky buds house and take the 1.5 hour ride with him. Yep, didnt make it to his house. Then showed up at the match as the first shooters were going. Misses the walk through for first stage. Did a couple quick runs in between shooters and loaded mags got my gear on. Shoot stage, thought dang that was a good solid run....... look to my far right and there is a mini popper sticking up. Next stage, quick walk through while still getting mags loaded and myself in the mindset.... shoot stage and here "iiiffff you are finished....  look around the wall and bam. Another target. Reload the gun and pop two shots off at it. 

Moral of the story.... show up on time, AWAKE, and mentally ready. 

8 hours ago, Nathanb said:

You’re lucky they let you shoot. 

Yeah, they won't let you shoot the local match if you're late. Safety brief is 30 min prior to first shots and if you miss it you're not shooting.

7 minutes ago, MHicks said:

What about helping out with setup and and all the rest of the work that it takes to have a match? 

Great way to get a head start on stage planning and wake up at the same time.

More importantly, you're supporting the sport in a big way. 

• 4 weeks later...

I would say...if you show up at the last minute for a match then you are just barely going through the motions to be a USPSA shooter and don't really have your head in the game.

At the bare minimum, you need to show up in time to get your gear ready and meet with your squad for the safety brief before first shots start.  That way you get a chance to do a proper walk through and do some stage planning with your squad.

If you have your head in the game...you will show up early enough to walk all the stages and build a stage plan for each stage before it's time to meet with your squad at your first stage.  Then do the walk through again with your squad at each stage and verify or make any final changes to your stage plan.  Anything less than this and you really don't understand the sport (hopefully because you are still trying to learn and understand) or you don't care much about it.

TaterHead... By all means help out with match setup and cleanup, when you can and if you can!

I drive a minimum of 2-3 hours each way to attend the matches I shoot.  So, it doesn't work for me to help with setup as I have to leave my house at O'Dark-Thirty as it is to be at the range on time.  But, I do help with tear down and cleanup and we all need to do what we can to support the sport and each other!!!

Edited by ShredderTactical

Even if you aren't there in time to help build from the beginning a little help with the final steps is still some help. I know shooters who have a long drive and come to support other clubs and I wouldn't expect them to get there early enough to help. But that's ok because I know they work their butts off putting on their own local matches.

I have seen shooters who shoot multiple local matches but never get involved more with one club and they seem to show up everywhere just in time to get their gear together and shoot. If a shooter is really several hours away from all the nearest clubs then all you can do is help as much as you can.

For a major match, my habit is to show up one day ahead of the assigned shooting day.  That way you get to make each stage plan, see others shoot the stages and adjust your plan accordingly.  Have a good dinner, check over your gear and get it setup to load into the vehicle so you don't forget anything.  Then get a solid night's sleep. 

For both locals and majors, start to the range on competition day early. Get a good breakfast in you and setup your gear, cart and load magazines.  Then relax.

BC

3 hours ago, BillChunn said:

For a major match, my habit is to show up one day ahead of the assigned shooting day.  That way you get to make each stage plan, see others shoot the stages and adjust your plan accordingly.  Have a good dinner, check over your gear and get it setup to load into the vehicle so you don't forget anything.  Then get a solid night's sleep. 

For both locals and majors, start to the range on competition day early. Get a good breakfast in you and setup your gear, cart and load magazines.  Then relax.

BC

You forgot to add run the tablet for our squad’s last four stages. 😂

Damn I showed up to one match slightly late. Not a huge deal. 

@ShredderTactical as for I'm just learning or dont care? Really dude, you must be a joy to shoot with. I help plenty. I also work night shift and my sleep schedule is what it is. But hey since you know me so well feel free to assume. 

Anyways yall be easy. 

@Bakerjd I didn't point any fingers at you personally, didn't mention you by name, just used the moral of your story as a learning point for others.  Kind of thought the purpose of this forum was to share our opinions, knowledge, and experience to help, motivate, and inform other forum members.  If comments made by any member don't apply to any other particular individual reading them, that's cool.  If comments do apply, maybe that member should try some self analysis and introspection to make adjustments to move themselves forward in the sport.  Again, I thought that was the purpose of this forum.

The point of my original comments were that if anyone involved with this sport (not you personally @Bakerjd ) shows up late on a regular basis (perhaps I didn't make the "regular basis" clear) then they should think about whether they are serious about the sport.  My comments were also aimed at new(er) members to the sport to help get them moving in the right direction to get the most out of the sport.

Be well, be safe, see ya out on the range!

3 hours ago, ShredderTactical said:

@Bakerjd I didn't point any fingers at you personally, didn't mention you by name, just used the moral of your story as a learning point for others.  Kind of thought the purpose of this forum was to share our opinions, knowledge, and experience to help, motivate, and inform other forum members.  If comments made by any member don't apply to any other particular individual reading them, that's cool.  If comments do apply, maybe that member should try some self analysis and introspection to make adjustments to move themselves forward in the sport.  Again, I thought that was the purpose of this forum.

The point of my original comments were that if anyone involved with this sport (not you personally @Bakerjd ) shows up late on a regular basis (perhaps I didn't make the "regular basis" clear) then they should think about whether they are serious about the sport.  My comments were also aimed at new(er) members to the sport to help get them moving in the right direction to get the most out of the sport.

Be well, be safe, see ya out on the range!

Ahh got ya. I totally agree with your opinion. Just thought you were assuming I do this regularly. All good man.