Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for alternative to a Dillon Rapid Trim 1500 Size/Trim Die (19797)

Just4FunLP

45 minutes ago, dansedgli said:

Thanks for the video. 

Your cases arent feeding into the machine right because you need to flip this bit around. P facing you is for pistol, R is for rifle.  

image.thumb.png.f8835cd7f668015faf41e71200be3d96.png

This?  I don’t se a P or R, but I’ll try anything…9A6FE7D5-E5AF-4123-AA85-6EA74908235D.thumb.jpeg.f362d392e1de17a3d59dfe983768c576.jpeg

Yep, that bit. On my 750 there is a P and an R right in the centre. Maybe its a new addition.

The short ramp, long flat bit is for rifles to drop down and clear the case feed arm.

The long ramp, short flat is so the pistol cases drop down later because they are short. 

On 7/29/2021 at 1:15 AM, dansedgli said:

That is damaged. That centre groove should continue all the way to the bottom. 

Couldn't see the photo you posted, but I assume it looks like this.  Just got it today. The little lip at the bottom fits the extractor groove on the cases. Hopefully this will resolve my problems. Also, the other part has the P for pistol and R for rifle on the sides...  Thanks for your help.

Feed Thingy.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, cooper8172 said:

Did you have any issues with case spin while trimming? This is killing me and I can’t figure it out

Using too much case lube will exacerbate spinning of the cases during sizing and trimming. 

8 hours ago, cooper8172 said:

Did you have any issues with case spin while trimming? This is killing me and I can’t figure it out

Dillon recommends that you do not use the sizing die ahead of there trim die, but instead just use a universal decapping die. Because the trim die does the sizing it grips the case tightly and prevents the case from spinning. 

Now, because I ordered a carbide trim die it's got an extremely long lead time. In the interim, I decided to go with a Lyman trim die. The instructions with the Lyman die says to size before the die. Exactly the opposite of the Dillon procedure. My problem was that if I set the Lyman trim die to have a reasonable amount of neck protruding for the cutter the cases got stuck. I had to set it so there was barely any material sticking out of the top of the die.  In fact the cutter actually makes contact with the die. See my photo above. If I backed the Lyman die out enough to allow the case to spin there wouldn't be any material exposed for the cutter. Increasing the amount of lube on my cases also helped prevent them from sticking in the Lyman trim die. 

What trim die are you using? Are you sizing ahead of the trim die?

How good is an on press trimmer.

I got my lyman trim die this morning finally.

I didnt have any trouble with stuck cases or not enough of the case sticking out of the top. My brass was all sized with the dillon sizing die. 

The die screws in deep, It would be better on a short tool head but works fine. Just can't fit the die nut on top. 

trimmer.jpg

• 4 months later...

I have no problem dedicating a toolhead to trimming, it sure looks like a few minutes with the grinder could magically transform a normal dillon toolhead into a "short" trim one. 

anybody notice any other difference like in the webbing or supports? seems like it just needs more clearance to get the trimmer down right? 

Wanna triway in 223? 

I expand necks anyway and tumble after prep so the giruad is going out the door. Handling ever case again or ever is a thing of the past. 

I tried all the tricks I just couldn't grip 223 for more than 30 min at a time to trim with the triway. 

Haven't ground down a tool head. But. I did drill and tap a 550 one from the side. To insert an Allen screw to lock a die down. There was just not enough room to put a lock ring on top or bottom of.

Edited by AHI

• 2 weeks later...