Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for alternative to a Dillon Rapid Trim 1500 Size/Trim Die (19797)

Just4FunLP

I’m looking for alternative to a Dillon Rapid Trim 1500 Size/Trim Die (19797). I’ve finally assembled all the stuff to reload 223, except this one die. I’m pretty sure someone already suggested an alternative, but I can’t seem to find the post. I asked Dillon for an ETA and they recommended I try another vendor due to the extremely long lead time. 

Thanks

1 minute ago, Just4FunLP said:

Yep, that looks familiar….  Should I go ahead and leave my Dillon die on back order or cancel it? Thanks

Just get the Lyman unless you have the patience to wait for months.

Just now, George16 said:

Just get the Lyman unless you have the patience to wait for months.

I’m definitely going to get the Lyman, but I was wondering if I should also get the Dillon as well. Thanks for the help. 

6 hours ago, Just4FunLP said:

I’m definitely going to get the Lyman, but I was wondering if I should also get the Dillon as well. Thanks for the help. 

Definitely go for it if money is not an issue. It’s nice to have a spare. 

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, AKJD said:

I ordered one from Whidden thinking I would be waiting for the Dillon and the Dillon arrived yesterday. Took about 3 weeks.

I ordered mine on May 1st....  that's almost 12 weeks. Don't seem right. Was yours for 223?

On a side note, the Dillon die says not to size the case before the trimmer die. The trimmer die does the sizing, and the tight fit is needed to prevent case spin. Only the decapping die is needed in in station one. The instructions with the Lyman trim die says that you do need to resize before the trim die. Also, when I install the RT1500 on the Lyman die almost none of the case mouth sticks out the top. If I adjust the trimer die down enough to get a reasonable amount of clearance for the cutter the case gets stuck. I ended up having to adjust the die so almost no case sticks out the top, then I had to bring the cutter down until it's just kissing the top of the die. I don't think this is the way it's supposed to be setup, but it does work. Hopefully the Dillon die will resolve this issue. 

Lyman Trimmer Die with RT1500.jpg

7 minutes ago, Just4FunLP said:

On a side note, the Dillon die says not to size the case before the trimmer die.

I understand why Dillon tells its customers this, for the very reason of preventing the brass from moving when getting trimmed.  Sizing dies tell you to not use that die after trimming because material from trimming could damage the resizing die.  Therefore, I go against Dillon's recommendation and size before I trim.  I have yet to have any issues. sizing before trimming. Granted my sample size is small, in that I have only processed 3000-4000 casing.  But it worked perfectly for every casing.  

17 minutes ago, Just4FunLP said:

I ordered mine on May 1st....  that's almost 12 weeks. Don't seem right. Was yours for 223?

On a side note, the Dillon die says not to size the case before the trimmer die. The trimmer die does the sizing, and the tight fit is needed to prevent case spin. Only the decapping die is needed in in station one. The instructions with the Lyman trim die says that you do need to resize before the trim die. Also, when I install the RT1500 on the Lyman die almost none of the case mouth sticks out the top. If I adjust the trimer die down enough to get a reasonable amount of clearance for the cutter the case gets stuck. I ended up having to adjust the die so almost no case sticks out the top, then I had to bring the cutter down until it's just kissing the top of the die. I don't think this is the way it's supposed to be setup, but it does work. Hopefully the Dillon die will resolve this issue. 

Lyman Trimmer Die with RT1500.jpg

I highly recommend buying the short trim tool head so you’ll have more adjustability.The trim toolhead is half the thickness of the regular tool head where you install the trimmer at.

https://www.dillonprecision.com/xl-650-short-trim-die-toolhead_8_8_26197.html

image.jpeg.030ef2018cfe732a0170175e36930507.jpeg

35 minutes ago, George16 said:

The problem isn't the up and down adjustability of the assembly in the tool head, it's the fact that cases get stuck if I bring the die down on the case enough for the mouth to stick out of the top of the die. I mean, it may work better if I was to re-lube the case between the sizing and trimming process. Again, it's not a show stopper. I'm up and running. I was just curious to know if I was doing something wrong...    Also, I have to say I'm thrilled with the performance of my reloaded 223 rounds. I started the testing wondering if they'd work at all, then if they'd hit the target. My goal was to have inexpensive high volume ammo for short range targets, but at 100yds I got them to group better than Federal 69gr Gold Medal Sierra Match Kings :). Although the best group was on the slow end of the data at about 2556fps, the Fed GMM is only about 2650fps but should have a lot less drop at distance.  I plan to reload some 69 Grain Boat Tail Matchkings as soon as they become available.   

Thanks for the replies. 

IMG-3766 Small.jpg

11 hours ago, Just4FunLP said:

Yes 223 steel, not carbide.

Are you sizing with the lyman trim die or separately? 

If you are adjusting your size trim die so it doesnt get stuck is it sizing properly? 

Google showed me a guy having a similar problem with a 308 Lyman die and more lube fixed it. 

I'm sizing with the Dillon sizing/decapping die in station one and then trimming in station 4. Contrary to the Dillon's instructions, Lyman says to size before their trim die. I just ran about 1500 cases through it last night and everything seems to be working just fine. I probably won't touch anything till I get the Dillon (Carbide) die.  

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipMN1QZPGxGMTV2S85cATMez80HxUBNGCxN4kxSwnazhC9NcYaixlJtkHxkIeXmE6g?key=VkFTVm55SEJ6R2FlZ2VPY3ZXQy1LX01zQ3F1MzZn

Edited by Just4FunLP

I have a Mr Bullet Feeder, so during the primer/powder/bullet cycle it was recommended to use he Lyman M neck expander in station 1. This flares the mouth of he case out to accept the bullet. With 9MM the Mr Bullet Feeder kit comes with a powder drop that expands the mouth of the case, but not with the 223 setup. I know that one use a die in station one that does expand the neck all the way down but I’m not all that familiar with that. I’m about to reload, so maybe I’ll upload another video. 

3 hours ago, dansedgli said:

Smashing them out. Do you need to open the necks back up again after trimming? 

I got my 1500 yesterday and my lyman trimmer is on the way.  

I installed a Lyman M die on station 8 on the processing tool head for my 1100 so it can expand the case mouth after the trimmer.

Here’s a pic of my processing tool head (tool head on the right):

B8-FDD567-8-B0-F-4704-B693-A9963-F12786-