Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MPX PCC Loads

New to PCC, but looking for suggestions on load recipes for improving recoil on the MPX..    anyone got any starting points?   

I got CFE Pistol and Xtreme 147 RNs to work with, should I be looking at something different.

Also, does the Sig installed compensator even help, or should I be looking at something else.

Thanks.

For the current competition 16” MPX's with the side venting brake yes it works just as well as the MBX did on the old gen 13.7” barrels for me.  Lighter bullets medium burn rate powder  ( CFE, N330, N340..) my current 3 loads I use depending on bullet availability:

·        100gr FMJ 6.4 CFE Pistol 1497 Fps

·        95gr Montana Gould JHP 6.4 CFE Pistol 1515 Fps

·        115gr FMJ/ JHP 5.4 CFE Pistol 1350 Fps

Give me minimal dot movement, as a factory reference in my 16" guns:

· Speer Lawman 115gr TMJ load is 1425fps

· Federal XM9001 115GR JHP is 1445fps

3 hours ago, 2011BLDR said:

For the current competition 16” MPX's with the side venting brake yes it works just as well as the MBX did on the old gen 13.7” barrels for me.  Lighter bullets medium burn rate powder  ( CFE, N330, N340..) my current 3 loads I use depending on bullet availability:

·        100gr FMJ 6.4 CFE Pistol 1497 Fps

·        95gr Montana Gould JHP 6.4 CFE Pistol 1515 Fps

·        115gr FMJ/ JHP 5.4 CFE Pistol 1350 Fps

Give me minimal dot movement, as a factory reference in my 16" guns:

· Speer Lawman 115gr TMJ load is 1425fps

· Federal XM9001 115GR JHP is 1445fps

Interesting.. yes, 16” Competition MPX.  thanks for the tips.. haven’t done lighter bullets medium burn..  I guess I’ll try the lighter bullets recipe since I have CFE pistol..  OAL 1.150? 

t

yea being gas operated they prefer lighter bullets with slower powders to feed the gas system.  my 8" mpx barely ran a 147 over titegroup load but really seems to like 115 and 124 with Sport Pistol and WSF. I'm going to try some 100gr pills if they ever show up again for sale, as well as CFE pistol and autocomp loads.

I have been able to go as fast as N320 with lighter bullets. It's about gas and powder volume. I have tested over 20 loads and currently shoot 115s with about 4g 320. That was best combination of recoil and reliabity. Don't trust any load with less than 3.5g of powder in a MPX.

Edited by inertia
2 hours ago, Ner said:

Can someone enlighten me please, what is the whole thing about hollow points? why does it becoming so popular and how it's better than fmj ?

I think its a bit of cool factor over boring FMJs. Plus HPs have a sealed base so no exposed lead. Looking HP vs FMJ from the same manufacture the cost isn't that much more so why not.  

On 7/6/2021 at 11:49 AM, wtf808 said:

New to PCC, but looking for suggestions on load recipes for improving recoil on the MPX..    anyone got any starting points?   

I got CFE Pistol and Xtreme 147 RNs to work with, should I be looking at something different.

Also, does the Sig installed compensator even help, or should I be looking at something else.

Thanks.

I use 147 RN blues with universal at ~138 PF. I have tried lighter bullets at the same PF but for me in my gun etc the 147s seems to recoil less with less second shot dispersion when double tapping.

2 hours ago, Ner said:

Can someone enlighten me please, what is the whole thing about hollow points? why does it becoming so popular and how it's better than fmj ?

Not sure the scientific validity of this, but I have also heard the weight in JHP is at the back of the bullet, thus making it a more accurate round.  There is definitely something to the leading issue as mentioned by  @Chillywigabove.

I run ~141pf 115gr ammo

4.5gr Sport Pistol

115 fmj or plated. Not coated bullets. 
SPP

@ 1.125”

These are gas guns. Give em gas…. 

the comp probably does a decent job reflecting sound for the timer. Otherwise I’d think they don’t do much. I’m speaking of the MPX Competition specifically 

On 7/8/2021 at 7:43 AM, Boomstick303 said:

Not sure the scientific validity of this, but I have also heard the weight in JHP is at the back of the bullet, thus making it a more accurate round.  There is definitely something to the leading issue as mentioned by  @Chillywigabove.

This is correct, it you go to the high accuracy pistol sports like Bianchi everyone at the top is shooting a jhp, though many like the HAP are non expanding and designed specifically for competition. 

Lots of variables to digest here.  But this is what I am doing.  YMMV.

Sig MPX G2, 8" barrel, registered SBR.  Gas port opened to 0.625, but that was too much.  ILWT plug added that cuts down to 0.520.  That's about right.  Factory port for Gen2 seems small for light loads.

Tried 124g plated with 4.1g N320.  Worked fine.  Tried 147g plated with 3.4g N320.  Also worked fine, but I could notice a difference in movement with the gun.  For me, it moved less with heavy bullet/less powder. 

I've had people tell me that using 105g at high velocity in PCC is the best.  For me, I like heavy and slow.

Only one way to find out what works for you.  Seriously, it's half the fun of doing this.

36 minutes ago, sdrr72 said:

Sig MPX G2, 8" barrel, registered SBR.  Gas port opened to 0.625, but that was too much.  ILWT plug added that cuts down to 0.520.  That's about right.  Factory port for Gen2 seems small for light loads.

Tried 124g plated with 4.1g N320.  Worked fine.  Tried 147g plated with 3.4g N320.  Also worked fine, but I could notice a difference in movement with the gun.  For me, it moved less with heavy bullet/less powder. 

I've had people tell me that using 105g at high velocity in PCC is the best.  For me, I like heavy and slow.

Only one way to find out what works for you.  Seriously, it's half the fun of doing this.

Yep I agree it’s the journey that’s the fun part…. Thanks for some starting points..  I haven’t gotten to tweaking the gas porting yet as I hear that can be a rabbit hole.  But we’ll see.. I’ll try some loads and see what works.

• 2 months later...
On 7/14/2021 at 8:31 PM, sdrr72 said:

My gen 2 likes extreme 147s with 3.2 grains of 320

no difference in accuracy between h.p. and r.n.

Do realize that in a MPX, when you try and run as low as possible in your loads, that is when the reliability issues can kick in. That is why so many give the MPX the reliability issue complaints. The MPX is the best going for the game, can't get much softer shooting. Back in the day when dinosaurs roamed the stages and you could buy factory Federal 115's in a case for under $200, that is what I shot in my MPX.

My current recipe consist of Berry's Thick Plated 115gr running off of 4.6gr of VV N320 with an OAL of 1.150 (average speed = 1,218).  Using this recipe I obtain a 140 Power Factor with a SD of 14.2 (16" Gen 2).  4.7grs gives me 140.8 Power Factor with a 33.8 SD (average speed = 1,225).  Link to the bullets I use:

I use to run heavier bullets (147gr) but ran into those famous reliability issues.  As stated above, use light weight bullets with some zoom behind them.  Be sure to also clean that gas port plug.  I haven't had another issue since switching to the 115gr bullets.

Good Luck and Be Safe!!!

😎

If I recall correctly, the factory gas port for the Gen 2 is 0.469.  My gas port via the plug is now 0.520.  I have absolutely no issues with low velocity 147g loads.  When my gas port was 0.625 with an open plug, I could easily run 110PF ammo with 124g or 147g bullets.  I remember reading somewhere that the Gen 2 gas port was closed in to allow better function and less blowback with suppressors.  Not exactly ideal for competition weapons.

Edited by sdrr72