Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Two pass reloaders, is the 1st pass before or after cleaning brass???

35 minutes ago, Cuz said:

Why would you have to space out the cam bolt?  It looks long enough to work just fine without the ratchet. 

Cuz:

IMO, these cam bolts are not the "quality" that they used to be.  I wanted the solid part of the bolt (next to the shank) as close to the cam plate assembly as possible; at least to where the stock ratchet arm spaced it.  

Hope this makes sense!  ;)

Plus a pic:

Cam Bolt Backplate.png

Edited by HOGRIDER
update

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

43 minutes ago, Cuz said:

Why would you have to space out the cam bolt?  It looks long enough to work just fine without the ratchet. 

Also, this pic of my failed cam bolt might help.  

It was originally installed way too tight, and the allen recess cracked by trying to remove it.  The outer rim is cracked in three places!

Failed Cam Bolt2.png

Failed Cam Bolt.png

Edited by HOGRIDER
sp

36 minutes ago, George16 said:

Here’s a pic:

Thanks.  Also a good idea.

For those who operate in this manner is there an issue when there is a hiccup In a pull of the handle?  The nice thing about the ratchet system is it holds the head in place while you can assess what happened or what is causing the issue. In my eyes that prevents a lot of double loads and/or under charged loads.

By the way we need to have an Reloading room ugly curtain contest judged by the moderators.

1 hour ago, Boomstick303 said:

Thanks.  Also a good idea.

For those who operate in this manner is there an issue when there is a hiccup In a pull of the handle?  The nice thing about the ratchet system is it holds the head in place while you can assess what happened or what is causing the issue. In my eyes that prevents a lot of double loads and/or under charged loads.

By the way we need to have an Reloading room ugly curtain contest judged by the moderators.

Heh! That’s my choice of the Aloha spirit for a curtain 😆. I think I had too much of a good time when I was stationed at Pearl Harbor back in the 90’s.

Anyway, to answer your question. I still have to encounter any issues without the ratchet system. Besides, if I ever have an issue, I pull out all the cases, troubleshoot, fix the problem and start over again. I also have cameras looking over the cases for powder and another underneath to check for primer in the cases.

3 minutes ago, George16 said:

I pull out all the cases, troubleshoot, fix the problem and start over again.

I use to do this, but I feel I would need to revert to this system process if I removed the ratchet system.  I have been contemplating this, due the the noise and annoyance of that system.

Thanks.

55 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

I use to do this, but I feel I would need to revert to this system process if I removed the ratchet system.  I have been contemplating this, due the the noise and annoyance of that system.

Thanks.

If there’s a problem,the handle nominally stops! Many times you an locate the issue and continue on. You will get the feel of what things go wrong and come up with your own solutions. It’s always the same one or two issues. Try it for a while you can always go back. Just the getting rid of the noise is worth it. JD 

My biggest problem with this is that when I encounter a problem, before I think too deeply, I raise the handle to see what's going on.  With my RL550, this was never a problem, but with the RL1100, this causes the loaded round that was just about to get crimped to advance and drop into my bin of loaded ammo.  Now I have a bin of loaded rounds and one of them didn't get crimped.  Unfortunately, this will keep me up at night, unless I now pull all the rounds out of the machine and individually run them all thru the crimping die.

I HATE it when that happens.  The ratchet prevents me from doing this, and gives me time to remove the loaded ammo bin before releasing the ratchet to raise the handle.

1 hour ago, Cuz said:

My biggest problem with this is that when I encounter a problem, before I think too deeply, I raise the handle to see what's going on.  With my RL550, this was never a problem, but with the RL1100, this causes the loaded round that was just about to get crimped to advance and drop into my bin of loaded ammo.  Now I have a bin of loaded rounds and one of them didn't get crimped.  Unfortunately, this will keep me up at night, unless I now pull all the rounds out of the machine and individually run them all thru the crimping die.

I HATE it when that happens.  The ratchet prevents me from doing this, and gives me time to remove the loaded ammo bin before releasing the ratchet to raise the handle.

With all due respect, you asked for input on running the press without the ratchet? And are give us all of your reasons for not doing it. As you have heard, most of us run without the ratchet. That works for us! You should do what ever feels right for you. Quite frankly I have found that solving stoppages is easier without the ratchet. Just my .02. JD 

2 hours ago, JDIllon said:

With all due respect, you asked for input on running the press without the ratchet? And are give us all of your reasons for not doing it. As you have heard, most of us run without the ratchet. That works for us! You should do what ever feels right for you. Quite frankly I have found that solving stoppages is easier without the ratchet. Just my .02. JD 

lol, obviously you can tell that my comfort level with my 1100 isn’t quite there yet. My biggest fear is that with the ability to quickly load large quantities of ammo, I also have the ability to screw up large quantities of ammo. I keep that container of about 150 rounds I loaded without primers right by the press as a reminder to proceed cautiously and ask a lot of questions. 

4 hours ago, Cuz said:

Cuz if you load the 2 pass way, that will be much easier for a beginner. It takes the stress out of watching all the stations for mistakes. Ive loaded in excess of 40,000 rounds in the last 2 years. I still run the 2 pass system. The commercial loaders use the same process. Especially if you run automated like I have been for the last 2 plus years. Hope that helps.

9 hours ago, Johnnymazz said:

Cuz if you load the 2 pass way, that will be much easier for a beginner. It takes the stress out of watching all the stations for mistakes. Ive loaded in excess of 40,000 rounds in the last 2 years. I still run the 2 pass system. The commercial loaders use the same process. Especially if you run automated like I have been for the last 2 plus years. Hope that helps.

thanks, I agree that when I went to 2 passes the stress level went down. I no longer worry about primers not getting ejected.  I find I can crank the handle a good deal faster on the first pass and then slow down and focus a bit more on the loading pass.