Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone have experience with the PDP?

lfine

Just wondering if anyone has their own personal review/opinion on using the PDP. Can't seem to find them around here. I've read conflicting things about the future of the PPQ line, as well, based on the PDP introduction.

On 7/5/2021 at 3:26 PM, lfine said:

Just wondering if anyone has their own personal review/opinion on using the PDP. Can't seem to find them around here. I've read conflicting things about the future of the PPQ line, as well, based on the PDP introduction.

Lots of activity/discussion/opinions on Walther Forums https://www.waltherforums.com/forums/

I have the full size 4.5" and love it.  508T installed on it.  The grip is fantastic, longer 18 round grip better for competition in my opinion.  Trigger great as usual.  Unfortunately 18 round magazines are no where to be found - a failing by Walther.  Don't count on finding any.  However, if you have a Canik TP9SFX/TP9SF/TP9SFT the 18 round mags DO work in the full size frame.

Just bought a 4" Compact, looking forward to getting it.  It will replace my 4" PPQs.  Uses same mags as PPQ M2, PPQ Q4/Q5/SF.

PPQ is still in the line, but focused on Q4 and Q5.  Standard will be phased out.

PPQ SF still in the line, have to think they are looking at larger frame version in the near future.

2021 is last year of production for P99 and they will disappear after this year. 

So my perspective is based on two things:

1. My own PDP 4” compact which I use as a carry gun

2. My training partner switched from G34s to the 4” full size PDP (he likes shorter barrel longer grip with a red dot). 

I really love the platform. I was already a PPQ guy and compete with and carry the SFs. I think the PDP is a solid step forward from an already great starting point. 

The slide profile change is way easier to manipulate. Grip texture is subjective. I personally find the texture aggressive but the polymer is kinda slick like the SF factory grips... I’m probably gonna modify mine some. 

it really sings with the Walther dynamic trigger fyi. 

As mentioned the 18 round mags are unobtainable. My buddy got a bunch of Canik mags when the first batch of PDPs came in the moment someone confirmed the mags worked and I haven’t seen them since. We’ve had a serious conversation a few times about whether he gets a second backup gun to have more mags. 

• 2 weeks later...

I am running the PDP this year, the 4.5" full size one with a DPP installed on it with the Walther factory supplied plate and a Holosun 507C with the Walther factory supplied plate as well. I changed out the guide rod to the ZR Tactical one and a 15# Glock Flat Wire ISMI recoil spring.

I was running a wilson combat 15# flat wire 1911 spring in my SF gun and they are shorter compared to the Glock springs and feel lighter too. The 15# Glock springs releive some of the tension on the recoil feel but not as much as the Wilson springs. With the Wilson springs I also ran a 6# Glock striker spring and if I am going to run that combination in my PDP I will use the Glock striker spring as well. 

I plan on doing some testing next week with the different springs, primers etc and may record some slow-mo video to see how it looks. 

On 7/17/2021 at 11:01 AM, Prov1x said:

I am running the PDP this year, the 4.5" full size one with a DPP installed on it with the Walther factory supplied plate and a Holosun 507C with the Walther factory supplied plate as well. I changed out the guide rod to the ZR Tactical one and a 15# Glock Flat Wire ISMI recoil spring.

I was running a wilson combat 15# flat wire 1911 spring in my SF gun and they are shorter compared to the Glock springs and feel lighter too. The 15# Glock springs releive some of the tension on the recoil feel but not as much as the Wilson springs. With the Wilson springs I also ran a 6# Glock striker spring and if I am going to run that combination in my PDP I will use the Glock striker spring as well. 

I plan on doing some testing next week with the different springs, primers etc and may record some slow-mo video to see how it looks. 

I run a Q5 Match SF now. I just got a PDP full size 4.5 too. I put the Overwatch red return spring (4.99$) in and the trigger feels great. getting the belt rig put together now. I have dry fired with the PDP but havent shot it yet. How do you think the PDP compares to your SF in competition?

The SF soaks up a lot of felt recoil and seems to shoot a bit flatter...but...I say felt recoil because watching the two guns cycle in slow motion the muzzle seems to rise about the same for me. Target transitions seem a bit easier with the lighter gun as well but the biggest difference is in the grip. The SF feels pretty good in my hand with the Walther Slim Aluminum grips or the Lok sliim grips but the PDP fits my hand like a glove. 

Edited by Prov1x

On 7/21/2021 at 2:54 PM, Prov1x said:

The SF soaks up a lot of felt recoil and seems to shoot a bit flatter...but...I say felt recoil because watching the two guns cycle in slow motion the muzzle seems to rise about the same for me. Target transitions seem a bit easier with the lighter gun as well but the biggest difference is in the grip. The SF feels pretty good in my hand with the Walther Slim Aluminum grips or the Lok sliim grips but the PDP fits my hand like a glove. 

I feel the recoil in my hand more with the PDP FS, but I get a better grip on the PDP FS than the Q5 SF. I use the 2 round extension on the SF to get a better grip because the grip is just too small for my hands. I really like the grip feel of the PDP FS. I hate to change guns in mid season but the PDP FS feels better than the Q5 SF to me. I'll try a couple matches and see what I think. I have an OverWatch trigger coming, and a Walther Dynamic Performance trigger coming. I'll install them when I get them and see which trigger I prefer. 

Edited by ohsevenflhx

27 minutes ago, dansedgli said:

Do Q5 and PDP use the same mags?

The Q5 uses the same mag as the PDP compact but the PDP full size uses a longer magazine than the Q5. The Q5 magazines are too short to use in the PDP full size (FS)

I’ve got about 500 rounds and 2 matches on my 5” PDP full size. I really dig it. 

Some notes: 

- will not really run on any minor type loads with the factory recoil spring

- 13# spring barely holds it in battery, but it really sings with 132pf loads.

- stock trigger is long, but it’s gotta a glass like break and it’s better than most other polymer guns from the box 

- Can confirm Canik TP9 18rd mags run just fine. The mag catch notch is about 1.5mm lower than OEM walther mags,  it mine has locked open any time I’ve shot it dry (in practice) 
- I’m running mine with Taylor Freelance PDP “+3” extensions. Have worked flawlessly with 22rds and are reloadable as such. 

EB2CD992-7866-42F4-B8F4-A42C86412E86.thumb.jpeg.c8c218e2446e03ede2ea54fd1fd3042c.jpeg

Edited by Dirty_J

• 3 weeks later...

I own and shoot the Q5 Match SF.  After a couple weeks of dry fire and live fire of the Full Size 4.5 PDP I prefer the PDP.  It feels better in my hands. I can shoot fist size groups at 50 yards with the Trijicon SRO. Thats 10 rounds as fast as the dot returns to the target. I like the Walther dynamic performance trigger much better than the Overwatch trigger.