Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TP9SFX as back up?

Currently running a milled Shadow 2 with a Holosun 407CO in Carry Optics, but I don't have a back-up gun for CO. My current options with firearms I own are a Gen 5 Glock 17 and a CZ SP01. Both the CZ and Glock would need to be milled and a red dot added. For the cost of machining and the dot, it's not going to cost much more to pick up a TP9SFX with a Vortex. 

Also find myself questioning if a DA first pull is for me. I find myself taking the easiest shot in an array first rather than what would be a faster strategy with a more difficult first shot. 

1 minute ago, Rnlinebacker said:

Cz custom will do multi optic for $204. Less than picking up tp9 and you can use your Sp01

The best value would be to take the EGW dovetail optics plate that I ran on my Shadow 2 prior to milling, and add it to my SP01. Then all I need is an optic and I'm good to go with a back up. But, it doesn't provide the option of trying something different than the DA/SA platform in CO. From a value standpoint, I could just add a dovetail plate and optic to my G17.

Caniks are gaining in popularity. You might be able to find someone shooting on at a local. Maybe you could try one. 

I like the caniks. So, I'd recommend one. 

12 minutes ago, Stafford said:

The best value would be to take the EGW dovetail optics plate that I ran on my Shadow 2 prior to milling, and add it to my SP01. Then all I need is an optic and I'm good to go with a back up. But, it doesn't provide the option of trying something different than the DA/SA platform in CO. From a value standpoint, I could just add a dovetail plate and optic to my G17.

Most CO people making guns super heavy even though it's minor power factor. Canik is great for the money but you'll end up back with the shadow 2

2 minutes ago, Rnlinebacker said:

Most CO people making guns super heavy even though it's minor power factor. Canik is great for the money but you'll end up back with the shadow 2

You're probably right. Might as well just bypass the Canik and jump straight to a Legion!

Just back from the range and I took the old SP01 out for some fun. It's a great shooter. Probably just need to mount an optic on it and call it a day. I'm also experiencing the phenomenon of becoming a better iron shooter after moving to a dot. The more I shoot my Shadow 2 with a dot in dry fire, live fire at the range, and in competition, the better I shoot my other pistols, all irons, at the range. 

Makes me want to take the SP01 and try Production again just to see if I've improved.

Edited by Stafford

A good back up gun choice should use the same holster and mags as your primary. Only one thing you've mentioned does that.

But if the goal of another gun is to see what you've learned, what you like or see something different, then that is a totally different path.

• 3 months later...

Use the SP01 and get an egw dovetail optic mount for it I didn't want to put a bunch of money into my first uspsa gun in case I decided to make a switch so Instead of sending mine off to have it milled I went with the dovetail mount and it has been super solid all season first with a holosun 507c then with an SRO I have been really happy with it so far now that I know which way I wanna go with uspsa I may go ahead and have the slide milled but I wouldn't hesitate to use the EGW mount again next season