Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ohaus digital scale

I've been using an RCBS digital scale for a very long time and was never happy with the accuracy of the thing and the fact that I'd get slightly different readings from the same charge, thus a lack of repeatability.  Seems the Gempro 250 was popular for a while but not available any more.  Some have also recommended A&D, and although it has good reviews, I really didn't want to $800 on a scale from a company I'm not familiar with.  So, I kept putting it off until recently I remembered that back in the day, the hot setup was an Ohaus three beam scale, which was the standard for science classrooms and all kinds of other stuff before digital scales became cheap and prevalent.  So, I did some research and turns out Ohaus is still around and makes dozens of different digital scales.  I ended up getting an Ohaus SPX123, which is 120 grams max or about 1850 grains and is accurate to .001 grams or .015 grains.  And on top of that, the price is half what the A&D scale cost and it's from a well-known, reputable brand that's been around forever.  I've been using it for a while now and it's fantastic.  Results are accurate and repeatable, and the setup and function is about as simple as you can get.  Overall, it appears to be a great deal for the money and I'd highly recommend it if you're looking for a high end scale.

IMG_1778.jpg

IMG_1779.jpg

3 hours ago, belus said:

I've used Ohaus scales / balances in a couple different laboratories. They're good quality.

Not as full featured as Mettler Toledo, but cheaper.

Yeah, I didn't see the need for a bunch of extras just to use as a reloading scale.  Comes with an A/C adapter (also runs on AA batteries) and 100g calibration weight.  Can be used to weigh from the bottom, and can be hooked up to printer.  Not sure what I might need beyond that.  Seems like a good deal for under $400.

1 hour ago, dannyd said:

The RCBS beam scales are made by Ohaus; maybe their digital scales are too.

I supposed that's possible and they're just built to a lower price point.  The RCBS scale I have probably cost half what the Ohaus cost, but it isn't even in the same ball park.

That’s a nice looking unit, might have to check them out. Our warehouses use the     tri-beam HD large platen ones and I just cringe when I see the high school kids bang them around.😖 One winter I went to use one at their office and they were all piled in a cardboard box, So I guess the kids have good teachers. 🤨

The only problem I have ever had with the digital scales; was one of the first  from Dillion cost 139.99 probably about 1992.  

I use a RCBS 750 and a small Hornady one the cost about 50.00 both work as well as my beam scale.

The gempro 250 should never be used by anyone. There is actually a recall on them. If you have one and have your original recipt the company will give you a full refund. Just Google it and you can easily find out how to go about it. They don't even want the scale back. 

I have the A&d fx120i and it's amazing, I really can't see anyone making anything better. I can't remember the exact price but there is a code somewhere and I think it was under $500. I'm waiting for the newest version of the powder dropper thing for it, it's so easy to add to the scale. Of course it's wayyy overkill for pistol stuff, I just use it for PRS /rifle stuff 

Have to respectfully disagree on the Gempro 250!  Used one and it faithfully served me for YEARS!  When it did decide to become unstable, I did the warranty claim and received a refund for my full purchase price!

Took that money and applied it towards an A&D FX120i.  Got it here when the shipping and price was just a few dollars less.  But they do include a calibration weight; and Customer Service and shipping was EXCELLENT!

https://ceproducts.shop/collections/reloading-systems/products/fx-120i-reloading-scale-122g-x-0-001g

I definitely wanted the accuracy and repeatability this unit offers!  

• 2 months later...
On 7/3/2021 at 8:08 AM, louu said:

The gempro 250 should never be used by anyone. There is actually a recall on them. If you have one and have your original recipt the company will give you a full refund. Just Google it and you can easily find out how to go about it. They don't even want the scale back. 

I have the A&d fx120i and it's amazing, I really can't see anyone making anything better. I can't remember the exact price but there is a code somewhere and I think it was under $500. I'm waiting for the newest version of the powder dropper thing for it, it's so easy to add to the scale. Of course it's wayyy overkill for pistol stuff, I just use it for PRS /rifle stuff 

I couldn’t find anything about a recall?

26 minutes ago, Indy574 said:

I couldn’t find anything about a recall?

Send an email to myweigh telling them about all the problems you've been having with the scale. They will get back to you asking for the recipt. Let me know if you need any help 

I am still using today my GemPro 250 I purchased 5-6 years ago and it works great.  Mine came with a couple of calibration weights and when I turn mine on I give it about 1-2 minutes to warm up and then I check every 20th round to make sure my powder drop is working as set. I also have a RCBS 5-10-10 (something like that) I also use after I check every other 20th round on the GemPro and so far mine continues to work flawlessly.  Guess I got a “Good” unit….

• 10 months later...
On 7/3/2021 at 6:33 AM, dannyd said:

The only problem I have ever had with the digital scales; was one of the first  from Dillion cost 139.99 probably about 1992. 

I know this is an old post but I was wondering what problem you had. I recently got my reloading equipment out of storage and my Dillon digital scale won't calibrate. I bought it about the same time. I recently emailed Dillon to see if it could be repaired, I'm not holding my breath. I also have their beam scale, it works well now that I'm using my wife's old iPhone as a viewer for it.

56 minutes ago, FN509Fan said:

I know this is an old post but I was wondering what problem you had. I recently got my reloading equipment out of storage and my Dillon digital scale won't calibrate. I bought it about the same time. I recently emailed Dillon to see if it could be repaired, I'm not holding my breath. I also have their beam scale, it works well now that I'm using my wife's old iPhone as a viewer for it.

It did what your did one day stopped being able to zero it out.  Dillion did let me buy their new scale for about 80.00 dollars.  It turned out to be not much better, so I sold it and purchased a RCBS scale.  In today's money that scale would have cost us 300.00 dollars 

Edited by dannyd

52 minutes ago, FN509Fan said:

Thanks for responding. The one thing I didn't like about it is you couldn't trickle on it. Dillon is known for great warranty and customer service, but it seems all the issues I've had, I'm going to end up paying for. 😪

If you need to trickle look into a RCBS chargemaster it's a little pricey but you can work up different loads fast.  Been using one for rifle rounds for couple of years and I like it.