Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Go back to plastic?

Stafford

Haven't shot my Glock 17 in nearly a year. May have shot my Glock 22 once or twice during that time, but it's been over 6 months ago. I've mainly concentrated on my Shadow 2 which is running a dot and a light hammer spring. Wow, what a difference. I shot my Glock 17 today, and kind of stunk it up in comparison. Obviously the Shadow 2 is much heavier, has a much better trigger, and has an optic. But, is it that much better?

I guess I'm wondering if the Shadow 2 is covering up deficiencies in my overall ability as far as accuracy, trigger pull, grip, etc.... Would it ever make more sense to go back to a Glock, M&P, etc., and work on basic proficiency? Then maybe look at improving in competition with a plastic pistol before going back to the S2. 

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you can work on basic proficiency with any gun. and when you switch to any other gun, there's an adjustment period. I switched from SS to limited a week after ss nationals in may, and I was stinking it up with my limited gun for several weeks, even tho the gun is heavier, and more accurate, and has a much better trigger. it's just different.

shoot whatever you enjoy the most.

40 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

you can work on basic proficiency with any gun. and when you switch to any other gun, there's an adjustment period. I switched from SS to limited a week after ss nationals in may, and I was stinking it up with my limited gun for several weeks, even tho the gun is heavier, and more accurate, and has a much better trigger. it's just different.

shoot whatever you enjoy the most.

The CZ S2 is a great pistol, but I enjoy my Glock 22 which I don't shoot enough. For whatever reason, I would like to shoot the G22 in Limited. I think I've tried it twice in Limited. Maybe I'll give it another go.

42 minutes ago, Stafford said:

The CZ S2 is a great pistol, but I enjoy my Glock 22 which I don't shoot enough. For whatever reason, I would like to shoot the G22 in Limited. I think I've tried it twice in Limited. Maybe I'll give it another go.

there you go then. I recommend you shoot your glock in limited.

2 hours ago, Stafford said:

Haven't shot my Glock 17 in nearly a year. May have shot my Glock 22 once or twice during that time, but it's been over 6 months ago. I've mainly concentrated on my Shadow 2 which is running a dot and a light hammer spring. Wow, what a difference. I shot my Glock 17 today, and kind of stunk it up in comparison. Obviously the Shadow 2 is much heavier, has a much better trigger, and has an optic. But, is it that much better?

I guess I'm wondering if the Shadow 2 is covering up deficiencies in my overall ability as far as accuracy, trigger pull, grip, etc.... Would it ever make more sense to go back to a Glock, M&P, etc., and work on basic proficiency? Then maybe look at improving in competition with a plastic pistol before going back to the S2. 

I believe some guns are more forgiving than others. As far as accuracy goes, most guns are very accurate. But the more forgiving gun usually gives the shooter more accuracy. 

If you want to shoot gun A in competition, shoot gun A. I wouldn't try to shoot gun B to get proficient with the intent to shoot gun A later. Just shoot what you want and get "proficient". 

Don't buy into the hype that the heavier gun is better just because it's heavier. Or vice versa. There are plenty of examples of someone shooting most every gun type at a very high level. Pick what you like and go with that. 

If someone jumps out and recommends what they're shooting, realize that could be them trying to rationalize what they've chosen. 

I have shot a few guns in production and carry optics, and limited, metal framed and plastic. Looking back I could have saved myself some money shooting my Glock in production and shooting it again in carry optics. I really liked the S2, but I’m not a big fan of da/sa guns. Ended up selling it because of that, not because it was metal framed or that I would shoot my glocks different. 

Like I said the s2 is a great platform. If you have some inherent desire to shoot the Glock, then go for it. But either way, commit through the adjustment period of switching platforms

7 minutes ago, Ajsomp said:

I have shot a few guns in production and carry optics, and limited, metal framed and plastic. Looking back I could have saved myself some money shooting my Glock in production and shooting it again in carry optics. I really liked the S2, but I’m not a big fan of da/sa guns. Ended up selling it because of that, not because it was metal framed or that I would shoot my glocks different. 

Like I said the s2 is a great platform. If you have some inherent desire to shoot the Glock, then go for it. But either way, commit through the adjustment period of switching platforms

I don't have an inherent desire to shoot the Glock. I think I shoot M&P's better actually. But, my G22 has always been a good shooter. I've added sights, a grip plug and basepads, and it's ready to go for Limited. Yeah, the S2 is a top of the line competitive pistol for Production and Carry Optics, and the G22 is not really considered competitive for Limited anymore, but it might be fun to try for a while. 

4 minutes ago, Stafford said:

I don't have an inherent desire to shoot the Glock. I think I shoot M&P's better actually. But, my G22 has always been a good shooter. I've added sights, a grip plug and basepads, and it's ready to go for Limited. Yeah, the S2 is a top of the line competitive pistol for Production and Carry Optics, and the G22 is not really considered competitive for Limited anymore, but it might be fun to try for a while. 

I mean compared to some of the 2011s I see running around, it’s not like you’re in it for 4k in just the gun.  Glocks can be cheap thrills if done right. 

4 hours ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

i wonder how anyone could shoot an S2 and want to willingly go back to a glock piece of plastic garbage?

Which is why I'm scared to shoot a S2 because I know I'll be buying another gun then.

I run my glocks just fine but I know they aren't the best option, just a cheap and good enough option.

I shoot Glocks because they tend to fit my hand better than most any other pistol I’ve ever shot. They are comfortable, feel good to shoot, and I like them. And I have fun shooting them. Nothing else really matters to me. 

2 hours ago, Cuz said:

I shoot Glocks because they tend to fit my hand better than most any other pistol I’ve ever shot. They are comfortable, feel good to shoot, and I like them. And I have fun shooting them. Nothing else really matters to me. 

Well said.  I've tried other people's Shadow 2s before and meh.  The differences between it and a plastic pistol with a decent trigger are mostly made up with grip strength and trigger manipulation skill and what's left is lost in the noise of movement, transitions, position entry and exit, and a myriad other things that matter more than sub 2" groups at 25 yards and sub 20 splits.

9 hours ago, SGT_Schultz said:

Well said.  I've tried other people's Shadow 2s before and meh.  The differences between it and a plastic pistol with a decent trigger are mostly made up with grip strength and trigger manipulation skill and what's left is lost in the noise of movement, transitions, position entry and exit, and a myriad other things that matter more than sub 2" groups at 25 yards and sub 20 splits.

I think this is true too. After about 10k rounds on the S2 I went back to a run of the mill 75 Shadow. The gun that everyone was excited about in ~2010 after the SP01 Shadow was dominating IPSC due to mag capacity gaming. I might be slightly more accurate with the S2, but I enjoy the older design more.

12 hours ago, Intheshaw1 said:

Which is why I'm scared to shoot a S2 because I know I'll be buying another gun then.

I run my glocks just fine but I know they aren't the best option, just a cheap and good enough option.

For what it's worth, I lent a S2 and 75 Shadow, both of which had been through the CZC treatment, to a local B-Production Glock shooter when he was considering a switch. He didn't see enough in them to justify changing platforms.  He practices more than I do and is now shooting better than me with his Glock. That's what really makes the difference.

I typically lose a few percent of classifier type performance when going from a prepped S2 to a Glock. That’s buried in the noise by normal stage skills. 

But just because you enjoy a gun doesn’t mean you have to run it in competition. 

If you can find somewhere to train that might be an option. 

Sometimes I pretend my carry gun (P365) is a competition gun. 

But just for fun. At a match I want my match gun. YMMV. 

• 2 weeks later...

My CO gun is a Canik. My Limited gun is a Para 16-40.  My SS gun is a....1911. 

I had a SP01 for CO for a little while. Never could get used to the DA first shot. 

I suck equally with all of them. 

• 4 weeks later...

It's become a disadvantage to go light with the most recent USPSA rule updates.

Glock is 27oz. That's nearly half of a CZ.

Most glock shooters now run a light to compensate for the lightweight.

I don't see a benefit in going back to polymer guns, especially when they have not improved in design in 10 years, Glock specifically.

If you perceive that you are shooting better with Glock, it might just be a perception. Running a Glock is inherently harder.

Edited by yekcoh

So, I’ve had 3 custom guns in the past, an open gun, limited gun and a single stack. They were beautifully made and shot well. I slowly moved over to the Glock platform and like it more than my previous pistols. Glocks just seem to point better and I can do all my repairs at home. Granted, for Carry Optics, I probably have the most expensive Glock out there. It’s no longer a light plastic pistol anymore and the trigger is excellent. A JG tuned Timney trigger, tungsten guide rod and grip weight, brass base pads and now a mounted light makes it just about perfect for me. Tried my buddy’s CZ and Walther, but I’m sticking with my 34s!

• 2 months later...

I shot a Glock in IDPA and then USPSA from 1998 or 1999 until 2012.  Then I went to a cz shadow from 2012 to 2014.  When I came back to USPSA shooting in 2019, I went back with the cz (CO this time) with my son shooting too so we both shot cz to make mags and spare parts easier.  We sent the one cz off for some work about 2 months ago, so I went back to the Glock.  I've shot my first ever M classifiers in the last two months since going back to the Glock.  The Glocks aren't as nice/comfortable to shoot, but they work.

On 8/9/2021 at 7:43 PM, yekcoh said:

It's become a disadvantage to go light with the most recent USPSA rule updates.

Glock is 27oz. That's nearly half of a CZ.

Most glock shooters now run a light to compensate for the lightweight.

I don't see a benefit in going back to polymer guns, especially when they have not improved in design in 10 years, Glock specifically.

If you perceive that you are shooting better with Glock, it might just be a perception. Running a Glock is inherently harder.

And then there's this:

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2021 at 2:09 PM, SGT_Schultz said:

And then there's this:

ah yes...... 

Where was he at this year's CO nats?

Becoming a CO GM in USPSA is much easier than other discipline as the system is rigged. 

CO classification % is same as production classification %. 

This is exactly why you see a million CO master classes and GMs.

Does not mean s#!t in real matches. 

There is a forum world then there is a real world.

Real competition. Real life. Where people actually show up to matches, nationals. and ACTUALLY shoot and produce results.

Edited by yekcoh

1 hour ago, yekcoh said:

ah yes...... 

Where was he at this year's CO nats?

You'll have to ask him since it's you who cares

1 hour ago, yekcoh said:

Becoming a CO GM in USPSA is much easier than other discipline as the system is rigged.

Which other discipline?