Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SS Major - first time advice needed


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

So I decided to shoot SS - Major at a local match this weekend.  I've been shooting USPSA for a year, B class, been shooting CO for the past 8 months.  Any last minute pointers?  I believe I should for sure reload every time I move a position.  What else is sound advice?  Like CO, I assume I should also avoid shooting to slide lock, but with only 8 rounds guessing that is easier said than done.  

 

I plan to get there plenty early to work on stage planning.  I'm expecting adding the memorization of the reloads to be a challenge.

 

Thanks!

 

Edited by mpmo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Barney up whenever you can. Have at least 5 mags, preferably 6.  Get your hits on steel. You may find it optimal on some stages to engage parts of nearby arrays to maximize ammo use in a mag and then finish up that other array after you move/reload. 

 

And welcome to the boomer club

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1. make sure you hit the steel.

2. don't do a dumb stage plan to try to save a reload, just learn to reload faster.

3. Keep track of where you can take a makeup shot without it turning into a disaster, and even more so, keep track of where you can't really afford a makeup shot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

+ make sure the sights come back before your second shot.  Chances are your splits are going to be a tad slower because of the increased recoil and muzzle rise.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, mpmo said:

So I decided to shoot SS - Major at a local match this weekend.  I've been shooting USPSA for a year, B class, been shooting CO for the past 8 months.  Any last minute pointers?  I believe I should for sure reload every time I move a position.  What else is sound advice?  Like CO, I assume I should also avoid shooting to slide lock, but with only 8 rounds guessing that is easier said than done.  

 

I plan to get there plenty early to work on stage planning.  I'm expecting adding the memorization of the reloads to be a challenge.

 

Thanks!

 

Pray for thunderstorms so this affliction may not manifest itself in a course of fire😂😂

 

Good luck though in all seriousness. Should be a fun break from the other divisions

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the advice!  Shot yesterday.  It went well.  I can see getting into it or Production at some point for sure!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/2/2021 at 3:26 PM, zzt said:

+ make sure the sights come back before your second shot.  Chances are your splits are going to be a tad slower because of the increased recoil and muzzle rise.

or you could grip the gun like a grown man, lol. I shoot about the same splits with 45 as with 9mm. the only time it makes a difference is on something like 'can you count' where you're hosing more than 2 shots per target.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, motosapiens said:

I shoot about the same splits with 45 as with 9mm. the only time it makes a difference is on something like 'can you count' where you're hosing more than 2 shots per target.

 

What is the difference between a tad and about the same?  Add in quick out and back swingers, plate racks with six 6" squares lined up behind one another, Texas Star, etc., etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, zzt said:

 

What is the difference between a tad and about the same?  Add in quick out and back swingers, plate racks with six 6" squares lined up behind one another, Texas Star, etc., etc.

for me the difference is zero on 2 shots, but on 5-6 shots at very close range, i can shave .01-.02 off the splits, probably because I don't have to grip as hard. As Balakay wisely notes above, your mileage may vary depending on skill level and grip strength.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, waktasz said:

The good thing about SS is that if you shoot a match in that division you're going to win. Because you'll be the only one there. 

 

Last match at my home club I was the ONLY low cap shooter out of 30 entries... It's depressing haha

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, waktasz said:

The good thing about SS is that if you shoot a match in that division you're going to win. Because you'll be the only one there. 

 

I came in 2nd out of 3.  :)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, waktasz said:

The good thing about SS is that if you shoot a match in that division you're going to win. Because you'll be the only one there. 

 

winning isn't really a thing if there's no heat. there were 8 shooters in SS the last match I shot. There were 126 shooters in SS the match before that, and 50-60 the match before that. If there aren't any other A or better shooters, I just look at the prod and LTD results.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Shoot it the same way you shoot carry optics EXCEPT...

 

reload every time you move (unless you can get in 2 positions without risking of running dry).

Never make up any HITS if it will force you to go to slide lock/standing reload.

Don't go as aggressive on 8/8 arrays as you have no make up shots.  

If you have the ability to break up difficult arrays (long partials, lot of steel, etc.) it 4 or 6 shot arrays it be a good approach... hedging more aggressive shooting/losing some stage time vs. having a standing reload(s). 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...