Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What presses do you load (.38) on?

Fishbreath

13 hours ago, ysrracer said:

I'm confused by the people that can't fully seat primers on 550/750. You and I seem to get it.

OOOh, I don't always get nuanced views!  I think most don't wish to spend the time delving that deep into the woods.  But since I live the life as a Hermit, retired to boot.  I'm comfortable deep in the woods!

On 7/4/2021 at 4:19 PM, Toolguy said:

I have 4 550s and load everything on them. No problems with primer seating. Many tool heads with powder measure.

Why four? I can understand having a 550 for each primer size, but its so quick to swap tool heads I don't know why you'd opt for more.

I load 38/357 on a 550 because it's not one of high volume cartridges. My wife expressed an interest in SASS this week though, so maybe the next few years will see a shift. I think the 550 is the best value press out there if you load a variety of cartridges, or want to include rifle rounds. If you only load 1-2 then I can see looking at the 5-station presses or a 1050/1100.

7 hours ago, belus said:

Why four? I can understand having a 550 for each primer size, but its so quick to swap tool heads I don't know why you'd opt for more.

I load 38/357 on a 550 because it's not one of high volume cartridges. My wife expressed an interest in SASS this week though, so maybe the next few years will see a shift. I think the 550 is the best value press out there if you load a variety of cartridges, or want to include rifle rounds. If you only load 1-2 then I can see looking at the 5-station presses or a 1050/1100.

At one time I had 2 for the Primer thing, but sold one and thought I'd never need another press.  Replaced the Crank 3 times in 35 years too.

Then got a hankering for "more" and chanced on a great deal on a used S1050.  Have it set up for 38 Short Colt/9mm (highest volume I shoot) then 45 acp/400 corbon with separate Tool Head (will soon be higher volume as that's the primers I have left!) and everything for 40 S&W just have to swap a few die inserts (ultimately may get a Tool Head for it.

Still use the 550 though, can't be beat for those 500 and under runs!  650/750 might be just as good, but a bit more expensive.

I initially had 2 for the large/small primer thing. Then happened across a good deal on another one. I already was loading 12 different loads at the time, so picked it up as a spare. Then Tracy came along, and she had one, as well. They just sort of accumulated.

Edited by Toolguy

I ended up ordering a 750, which I found in stock for the pre-July-1st-increase prices. I'll use the savings over a bigger machine to buy some more brass and maybe get some kind of primer tube filler, and just pay a bit more attention to the upstroke primer seating.

9 minutes ago, Fishbreath said:

I ended up ordering a 750, which I found in stock for the pre-July-1st-increase prices. I'll use the savings over a bigger machine to buy some more brass and maybe get some kind of primer tube filler, and just pay a bit more attention to the upstroke primer seating.

How much is the price increase?

13 minutes ago, Fishbreath said:

Trust me, you'll be happy. Sometimes when my wife is really on my case, I'll go to the garage and load 100 rounds in a few hours...

....10 minutes to load, 1 hour and 50 minutes to drink beer :)

I've been using Lee Pro 1000 since the 1980s.  But in the past year I've been having trouble with unreliable reloads.  I bought a used 650 from a local fellow that was in great shape.  Same dies, brass, primers, powder and cases.  New powder drop and new loader body.  My standard deviation went from 15-25 to 10.

The Lee presses were just plain worn out.  40 years and probably 800,000 rounds.  I'll pass them on to people getting into reloading, as some were given to me.

38 minutes ago, GMM50 said:

I've been using Lee Pro 1000 since the 1980s.  But in the past year I've been having trouble with unreliable reloads.  I bought a used 650 from a local fellow that was in great shape.  Same dies, brass, primers, powder and cases.  New powder drop and new loader body.  My standard deviation went from 15-25 to 10.

The Lee presses were just plain worn out.  40 years and probably 800,000 rounds.  I'll pass them on to people getting into reloading, as some were given to me.

Very nice of you to pass on your old loaders. I just passed on an old RCBS progressive to a friends son as he is now getting in to shooting sports.

• 1 month later...

To follow up, I'm producing ammo at about 500 rounds/hour now, and trending upward as I get familiar with the system and learn what to watch.

Primer seating hasn't been a problem on the new 750. I may order a bearing kit so I can tighten the shellplate down a bit more, and therefore get deeper/more consistent primer seating. I may someday try machining down the shoulder of the primer punch a bit for deeper seating, but that's a longer-range plan (and one I'd want to have a few spares for, before I try). Good ignition on all the ammo I loaded for the major match I shot/worked last weekend.

Contra what I'd heard, it seems to meter Clay Dot pretty well, after dumping the first few cases to clear out any settlement over time. The extra-small powder bar is probably helping with that.

At the match, I won almost all the parts for an AmmoMike 3D-printed bullet feeder off of the staff prize table, so eventually I'll get that figured out and integrated, and then I'll really be cranking things out.