Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 build

Haalck

I’ve built two using CK Arms 2011 frames. To keep cost down, found a Para Tomasie slide on eBay.  Used a caspian slide on the other.  

Don’t know what’s available these days.   Looks like Shooters Connection has a good selection of Cheely frames and caspian slides. You might be able to buy a fitted kit but it will cost more.  

Brazos is another good option. 

Jem Guns is another option but I don’t know much about them.  I have a 1911 frame on order so I will find out.   

Edited by jwhittin

Just built a JEM frame and slide with their Gunsmith fit 

It was a breeze to complete and came very nice and smooth with great accuracy!

In the past I've had good fortune with Chelly frames and slides or a Caspian slide if cheely's weren't available.

JEM and Cheely frames mostly because I've found the rails are cut parallel to the frame and dust cover of the frame. 

Edited by jcc7x7

As much as I have liked JEM guns frames in the past, I can no longer recommend them.  Their finishing is getting sloppier.  All the dimensions are correct and the holes are in the right place, but getting rid of all the ripples in the slide and the gouging in the dust cover channel takes hours of hand work.  Start with A Cheely Custom or Brazos frame and you won't be disappointed. 

Stay away from Caspian slides, STI and most others.  Too variable.  Cheely no longer sells slide.  JEM sometimes does.  Brazos slides are flawless.  Brazos offers slide to frame fits and short blocks.  Both are exceptional.  I've built 1911s by hand using only hand tools and a surface plate.  It is quite a chore.  When I decided to build another 1911 I had JEM do an interference slide to frame fit.  You have to stone, sand or lap the slide in to get it to function.  It saves hours of time and the results are as good as meticulous hand fitting.  Hand fitting a barrel is really tedious.  For the next go round I had JEM semi-fit the barrel/comp and I did all the final fitting by hand.  That also saves hours and hours.  BTW, I will never fit a one piece barrel and comp by hand again.

I recently needed a backup Open gun and I wanted it in a hurry.  I talked to Bob L. at Brazos about his Open short block.  I liked what I heard and ordered one.  I got it a couple/three days later.  It was a gem.  Finishing was perfect.  If I wanted matte I could have sent it right out.  I literally had to do nothing to the frame, slide or barrel.  I can't honestly say I 'built' this gun, because all I had to do was fit the MSH and GS to the Cheely e2 grip and some of the internals.  I literally had a functioning gun after an afternoon's work.  I took it to the range and everything was fine.  All I had to do was blend everything.

So my recommendation is to go with Brazos, even if you want to do all the fitting yourself.  When you buy the frame you get 10% off everything else you pace on that order.  Having learned the hard way, I don't like anything STI.  So if you want to order the barrel from Brazos it will have to be a Bar-Sto barrel.  They require a LOT of fitting .  Typically you won't even be able to put the barrel in the slide until you remove some material around the lower lugs.  I'd recommend a KKM barrel.  They are gunsmith fit barrel, but require less fitting than the Bar-Stos.  If you want a bushing barrel, use a KART XAct fir barrel.  They are superb.  All you have to do to fit is the hood and bushing and adjust the lockup.  Superb accuracy.  Good luck with your decisions and build.

Thank you all. You’ve been most helpful. I think I’ll be going with Brazos.  I’ve always used Bar Sto barrels in the past and don't mind the fitting I actually enjoy it being the 

meticulous machinist that I am. 

For frames, my first choice is Phoenix Trinity.  CK is also decent quality for the money, although finish is not great.  Slides, I still have some from Caspian that were purchased long ago when quality was good and consistent.   But their current production seems to be hit or miss.  For barrels, I've used both Nowlin and Bar-Sto for probably 20+ years and both have always been excellent quality and zero issues.  Most of the other parts are from EGW.

For things like firing pins, ejectors, firing pin stop and the like I prefer Cheely.  They require a LOT less fitting than EGW parts.  Everything else is EGW except sometimes the Brazos Pro Series disconnector is better than the EGW long ball head.