Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Other guide rod options for Q5 SF?

uhmeebuh

Hi all –

I’d like to get the ZR tactical guide rod… But they are back ordered and didn’t know when they would get more in.

Are there other options that other people are aware of?  I want to fix the over sprung nature of the OEM recoil spring.  

Thanks!

Hi all –

I’d like to get the ZR tactical guide rod… But they are back ordered and didn’t know when they would get more in.

Are there other options that other people are aware of?  I want to fix the over sprung nature of the OEM recoil spring.  

Thanks!

I use a tungsten guide rod for my Walther Q5 SF.  And yes its heavy.  I  got a Springer Precision guide rod (tungsten) and drilled a dimple in the head of the guide rod.  I use a 15 lb recoil spring.  Works great.

The sprinco recoil reduction system is worth a try. I ended up doing ZRTS in all of mine but the sprinco had an interesting feel to it and is far easier to install (15# spring on the ZRTS requires some elbow grease and dexterity). 

IMO we need someone to come up with a decent captured guide rod system. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/3/2021 at 11:10 AM, Hdiamond said:

The sprinco recoil reduction system is worth a try. I ended up doing ZRTS in all of mine but the sprinco had an interesting feel to it and is far easier to install (15# spring on the ZRTS requires some elbow grease and dexterity). 

IMO we need someone to come up with a decent captured guide rod system. 

I use a second rod. It makes it easy to install un captured springs

938 Guide Rod2 web.jpg

Edited by ohsevenflhx

I went with the sprinco and it's really only good with the white spring (otherwise it's too close to factory and still over sprung).  It's easy to install (well easier than the ZR at least) and works well.