Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to Reduce Felt Recoil on Benelli M1 S90?? Help Please.

Nalapombu

Hey all.  

I have a Benelli M1S90 with a 21” VR barrel and a +4 Nordic tube.  It’s set up like a 3-gun or LEO shotgun because I have wanted one like this for many years.  

it’s a great shotgun.  Last time I was out I had a 100 round box of #8 dove or practice rounds that Walmart sold for $30 or so.  I ran all 100 without a single hitch.

The ONLY negative about my M1 is that it packs a wallop even with light loads shooting quite a bit.  I’m not even gonna mention shooting 3 inch mags out of her.  

I am needing something to minimize the felt recoil.  I’d like to get one of the Comfort-tec butt stocks but they are rather expensive as is EVERYTHING for a Benelli.  
My options are adding a new recoil pad.  I’d much prefer to have one mounted instead of a slip-on type of pad.  I don’t know enough about the different pads to make an informed decision.  I figure you guys will know.  

What can I get or do to make shooting my awesome M1 a more enjoyable experience?  Is there a recoil pad this is much better than the rest?

Any info you can give me that will help will be greatly appreciated.  

I really don’t want to swap this shotgun for another that’s set up similar to it like the Beretta 1301, which I’ve read is good at reducing felt recoil. 

Thank you everyone for your time.  
LARRY

Limb saver pads are a go to for M1 Benellis. Brownells sell pre fit limb savers that will pretty much screw right on to your gun. BTW the comfort tech stock won't fit an M1 it is for the m2, so save your $$

Edited by kurtm

Seems like 3gun and LEO shotguns are setup quite different, so lost me there. 

IMO, technique is going to be the main thing with the recoil. You just have to get used to it to some degree. Benelli's do thump a bit. It's in their nature.

So, Limbsaver, and work on technique. Soon the recoil won't seem bad at all.

Benellis are inertia operated so their felt recoils will never be as 'soft' as gas gun (Beretta 1301, Rem, etc).  The Limp Saver pad recommended by Kurt will certainly be better for your shoulder pocket than the original 'Nelli pad but don't get your hopes up for a softer recoil.  Techniques will get you used to the Nelli trade marks.  I'm 150 lbs and have shot everything from light birds to full on slugs in 3 gun matches for years with the old M1 and hardly noticed the recoil anymore (and I still have all my original teeth 🤣). 

• 1 month later...

I have had my HK M1 for a few decades, and I built a M2 from pieces mostly off eGay, shoulder it hard in the shoulder pocket, and you won't notice the recoil with 1100 fps ammo.  Also keep the recoil tube inside the stock clean and well lubed with oil, it may take heat to break it loose from the receiver and heat to break the threaded end cap loose to clean everything.

Edited by 427Cobra

• 2 weeks later...

I grew up shooting 12 gauge pumps, so recoil didn't bother me too much (I've sin e switched to 20 ga across the board). I won a 'speed shoot' event with a duty-issued Remington 870 using #6 Magnum loads' (1.83 secs for 3 hits on 3 separate targets from Low Ready). I carried both an M1 Super90 and a Beretta 1201FP as an LEO. I installed PG stocks on the Benelli (Benelli) and Beretta (Choate) 'for comfort'.

On 7/4/2021 at 5:03 PM, kurtm said:

The main thing is LEO Shotguns aren't set up....

I bought two police trade in M2's and they both beat the heck out of me, whacking me in the face.  When I looked into it and into the stocks, I figured it out. Their armorer must have been an idiot  Both set up with I suppose random stock locking plates in random orientation. (or they were all left handed? lol) The guys in that department must have hated shooting them. 

Edited by cas